Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying used 2012 LSV 23

Chillypilot

Hi, everyone. First post, I'm going to look at a 2012 LSV 23 with 350hp engine might also look at one with the 555hp supercharged engine. Wondering if anyone has any advice, things to look for, or questions ask. Coming from a 2009 Yamaha AR230.

Thanks for the reply, 2013 lsv's seem to be quite a bit more expensive due to the surfgate and redesign. We will be surfing but we also ski, wakeboard and tube. Mostly used as a family boat. I have no issues building/using a suckgate.  

I’ll have a 2013 with all the bells and whistles on the market for sale in about 2 to 3 weeks. FYI, Will be asking $55k.  Ready to surf and wakeboard. PM me if you have an 8nterest.  

I have an 11 with the LSA 550hp engine. I’ve had a few issues but that was due to previous owner not keeping up with things. I love having that power, my buddy has the 350 and on a day with a lot of people you definitely know and feel the difference. We are able to get a pretty good surf and wakeboard wake too. It’s also nice to have the power wedge to adjust things around. Good luck with the new boat!

2 minutes ago, BlackBluMalibu said:

I’ll have a 2013 with all the bells and whistles on the market for sale in about 2 to 3 weeks. FYI, Will be asking $55k.  Ready to surf and wakeboard. PM me if you have an 8nterest.  

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Ontario Canada. With our week dollar and now that there is a 10% tariff on imported boat, buying a boat in the US doesn't really make economical sense.

What part of Ontario... we have a cabin on the Picanoc River just over the border in Quebec.  We usually fly into Ottawa and drive up from there.  

What elevation do you boat.  If you are 800 fett  MSL or less, the 350 is plenty.  Mine has the 350 and I go to a lake at 780 and another at 490 and no issues at all.  

All the best!

Just now, BlackBluMalibu said:

What part of Ontario... we have a cabin on the Picanoc River just over the border in Quebec.  We usually fly into Ottawa and drive up from there.  

What elevation do you boat.  If you are 800 fett  MSL or less, the 350 is plenty.  Mine has the 350 and I go to a lake at 780 and another at 490 and no issues at all.  

All the best!

Thanks, I'm in Barrie mostly on Lake Simcoe, Couchiching and Lake of Bays all are close to 800 ft. Good info thanks again.

Ah, Just north of Toronto!  350 will work fine for those elevations.  409 or 450 engine would be better if you plan on skiing behind it.  I have my 350 propped with 2419 so running 3900 to 4100rpm at wakeboard spec of 22.8 but I’m also pushing 4000 additional pounds over the stock 1350 lbs of ballast. I run 3200 to 3400 at 11.0to 11.3 for surfing.  Best of luck!

3 minutes ago, BlackBluMalibu said:

Ah, Just north of Toronto!  350 will work fine for those elevations.  409 or 450 engine would be better if you plan on skiing behind it.  I have my 350 propped with 2419 so running 3900 to 4100rpm at wakeboard spec of 22.8 but I’m also pushing 4000 additional pounds over the stock 1350 lbs of ballast. I run 3200 to 3400 at 11.0to 11.3 for surfing.  Best of luck!

You're pushing over 5000lbs of water. That's awesome!

Edited by Chillypilot

First on the list would be to check the condition of the MTC screen for bubbling.  Those are key failures for these model years and might leave you with a big bill in the near future.  The 2012 came with a backup key installed so you won't be left stranded if the screen goes on you, but you should make sure its in good condition.  The 350 will be plenty and it's an easy engine to maintain.  

The rest would be fairly standard stuff, check the wedge function, ballasts, etc.