Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do wake boats run if the speakers are off?

UWSkier

On 9/10/2018 at 4:27 PM, UWSkier said:

I'm all for folks using tower speakers but when you have fishermen, kayakers, SUPers, campers, all in earshot, 6 bells is a bit early if you're trying to be a decent sport about ensuring your fun doesn't wreck the morning for others.  (for the record, my morning was fine until they both decided the small cove we were skiing to avoid sending rollers their way needed to be churned up)

6 am seems a bit extreme for the noise you are describing...  And I like my loud tunes!  

7 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Of course those things pale to the tubers at 7:30 AM  - I kid you not.

Someone tweet Trump.  We need to get this taken care of.  That's nuts...  :salute:

Most boaters have no idea of etiquette anymore, especially on a lake. I grew up skiing on a small slough with a course. Progressed into wakeboarding and now to surfing. We do All three of these still in the same small slough. When another boat comes In we will finish our set and then let the next boat do their set as we float at the side any watch for them to finish. Then we will go again. I’ve tried this in our small bays on my lake that I primarily ride on now and the other boat has no clue of what I’m trying to get to happen. 

• Like 3

Or just the fact on how to drive and maintain calm waters. Don’t drive in random loops and corners. Stick to a line and go back and forth. 

We have a channel that y’s into the open lake the other goes into the course. If I’m out in the morning when the skiers are looking for calm waters I literally idle over to the main lake or go right down the course so my rollers don’t kill it completely. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wheelman said:

Most boaters have no idea of etiquette anymore, especially on a lake. I grew up skiing on a small slough with a course. Progressed into wakeboarding and now to surfing. We do All three of these still in the same small slough. When another boat comes In we will finish our set and then let the next boat do their set as we float at the side any watch for them to finish. Then we will go again. I’ve tried this in our small bays on my lake that I primarily ride on now and the other boat has no clue of what I’m trying to get to happen. 

"new money" boaters have no concept of a rotation. In my experience you need to idle up and talk to them. Say "you go and come back on this same line, and when you're switching riders we'll do the same." 

22 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Went out this morning, had two of the nicest, glassiest sets of the entire year, and boat back in garage drying out by 8:05.  Gotta be the early bird to beat the tooberz and lake lice!  :)

Sweet, my tribe is hunting in Wyoming or moving into a new machine shop. Have glass in morning and evening and all I can do is stare at it. 

On 9/10/2018 at 1:58 PM, UWSkier said:

So the question is, do these boats have some sort of throttle interlock where you can't throttle up until a certain level of "let's annoy everyone else out here" is achieved?

I am going to guess your boat is running the stock "muffler" that does almost nothing and flappers, running 35MPH across the lake.  That's not quiet either...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I am going to guess your boat is running the stock "muffler" that does almost nothing and flappers, running 35MPH across the lake.  That's not quiet either...

Well I don’t have data actually graphed but we have a ski course on a highly populated lake so we occasionally as our lake association to put feelers our on the course and how people feel about us skiing at sunrise. Almost 100% of the feedback is that people enjoy ya skiing in the morning. When asked about the boat sound the answer is almost always oh that’s no big deal, it’s the people playing loud as heck music into the wee hours of the night. This has been the feedback for years now and we continue to keep feelers our because we don’t want to have a lake curfew put in place. It’s not like our boats are a straight piped cigarette boat so I’d imagine that feedback would be pretty consistent lake to lake. 

11 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Every boat out there has an engine but the sound is constant and muffled to an extent.  My boat isn't any louder than any of the bass boats running around out there and the pitch is lower.  The sound also isn't music coming from speakers designed to project.  I'd be great if the audio engineers could figure out a way to have the sound project to 100' and dissipate dramatically after that.