Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What hitch to tow a 25 LSV?

CaptainCrunch10

Its a 2015 GMC Yukon XL. My hitch and ball for my '01 Mastercraft XStar is a 5,000lb and was wondering if I should get an 8,000lb or 10,000 lb for towing the LSV 25.

Edited by CaptainCrunch10

Not sure about the SUVs, but the half ton pickups come with Class IV hitches which can handle that load, but GM says for anything over 7000 lbs, a WDH is required.

You will need to find out if your integrated hitch is Class IV and upgrade your ball mount and draw bar at the very least.

Assuming you are talking about your ball mount and ball.... yes, you want more than the standard 2" 5,000 ball and ball mount.   The boat and trailer are way over 5K.

Something like this will do the job at a reasonable price.   This assumes your hitch is rated high enough and you just need to change the ball mount and ball.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SMGAJ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by store934
  • Like 1

I would get  HD diesel. Ram is my choice. I have one for my 257 tows great. My tow wt is about 10.5k yours would prolly be 9k+, I tow with 1000 lead. Hitch is class 5 good for whatever you throw at it.

These new boat trailers are getting pretty dam tall. I’d go buy a 3 inch rise and have both the hitch and ball ratings 8k minimum. 

But... even better go find a nice stainless or aluminum adjustable one and call it done. 

Unles you are only towing across the street , it’s time to look at HD trucks.

the XL will do better than standard Yukon, because of the longer wheelbase, but the 25 will push a and pull the SUV around. Prepare to pucker up while driving, looking at 4-6mpg downhill with the wind, not to mention not being able to see the boat or blind spots very well with the mirrors.

Save the $$ on a hitch and start a truck thread

edit:

i also see you are on South Lake Tahoe. If you plan on making that grade you will need to add or upgrade to a large trans cooler.

we like spending other people’s $$$ here but let me tell you , I towed our 25 from the bay up to donner last weekend and the F350 tows that thing like a dream.  

A1F1B8E2-9980-4FCC-A23B-209323818889.jpeg

Edited by Stevo

Also ... what trailer is under the 25 you are looking at? 

2 or 3 axle?

double check what axle weight rates they are, I believe Malibu upgraded them to 4500lb on the 2 axle. But I’d want to be sure. 

And if you have the option for the 3axle even better.

The sticker on the car says is rated to tow 10,000lbs. It has the towing package so I think it should be fine. The boat will be kept on the lake pretty much all summer so it woln't be towed too often. Any one have recommendations for hitch and ball?

I’m not sure that 10k capacity is correct 

https://media.gmc.com/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Feb/napa/gmc/0224-2015-yukon-specs.html

I have a little experience towing the 80, and 50 grade with a 08’ Yukon Denali 6.2L (7900 tow capacity) with an 01’ vlx, and 14, LSV and it had no problems with the VLX and struggled with the LSV.

also shared driving duty on a 13hr tow from Texas to Tennessee and back with the 2017 25LSV with @IXFE and I’m telling you it’s no joke in terms of the weight of that boat. That drive is predominantly straight and highway speeds. 

If you don’t overheat your tranny on the way up the grade, you will for sure smoke your brakes on the way down. 

AA4BFF40-772A-45AA-981A-29D9D4985563.png

1 hour ago, CaptainCrunch10 said:

The sticker on the car says is rated to tow 10,000lbs. It has the towing package so I think it should be fine. The boat will be kept on the lake pretty much all summer so it woln't be towed too often. Any one have recommendations for hitch and ball?

10k with weight distributing hitch maybe, but i doubt it. 

Edited by oldjeep

EAZ LIFT 48053 1,000 lbs Elite Bent Bar Weight Distributing Hitch with Adjustable Ball Mount and Shank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00192JH5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gKgLBbC3755A0

you will probably need a custom weight distribution trailer set up because the arms won’t be long enough because of the swinging tongue on the trailer 

anyone here use a WDH on their setup???

Edited by Stevo
7 minutes ago, Stevo said:

EAZ LIFT 48053 1,000 lbs Elite Bent Bar Weight Distributing Hitch with Adjustable Ball Mount and Shank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00192JH5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gKgLBbC3755A0

you will probably need a custom weight distribution trailer set up because the arms won’t be long enough because of the swinging tongue on the trailer 

anyone here use a WDH on their setup???

A weight distributing hitch might not work very well with surge brakes.

My 2016 25LSV with dual axle trailer, G4, dual rev8, 575 and full of gas was ~8600 lbs on the CAT scale.  Keep that in mind when considering if your car can handle it.  Don't just go by the "dry weight" number that Malibu publishes.

59 minutes ago, Stevo said:

FYI 

So what I learned from all of my teeth gnashing over the Tahoe is that the 5.3L can be rated up to 10K but only if you have the upgraded rear diff (3.43 maybe?).  Otherwise it's 5k.  Looks like with the 6.2 and tow package you can get 8500 stock; but at least in my Tahoe's era, there was a tow package (factory class IV hitch) and a "Max Trailering Package."  The latter was required for an integrated tranny cooler and better ratio.  Be sure if what you have!

I got away with adding a big tranny cooler (Tru-Cool Automatic Transmission Fluid Oil Cooler 28,000 GVW, model LPD4590) but even then, the it never felt safe with the short wheel base.  It would also bog down on big inclines at low speeds.  This was with the 23LSV, but even my VTX would give her hell in the right conditions.

Based on your comments, it sounds like a few times a year tow, so you may be fine.  But I 100% recommend the tranny cooler so you don't cook your fluid (you have a digital guage in the cluster, 220F is starting to get real iffy).  Aftermarket rear end wouldn't be a bad idea either so you have some extra umph getting up a grade.

Otherwise, I personally have that adjustable Curt that was linked to first.  It's a good hitch and the small ball is rated to 10k so should be fine for you!  The +/- 6" is great too so you can nail your level and you are set up for other tow rigs or trailers.

Edit: one more note, if you do get that or a similar cooler, get the cold weather bypass. Not towing I'd run around 150F on a hot day and 130F on a cool morning.  I'm not a mechanic, but 165-195 appears to be optimal for transmission fluid.  Running around town in the winter at 100F may be a cause for concern.  Look at Oregon Performance Transmission, lots of options and good prices from what I've found.

Edited by ajive