Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo is on no Audio- Starts abruptly then shuts down

StJoel

Hey guys really enjoying the forum and all the tips (Just sealed the subwoofer box). Here is my dilemma. I just purchased a 2015 23 LSV in great shape. I have had for three weeks and I am not exactly sure what the Wetsounds RF remote controls. It appears to do nothing in my instance. The previous owner also put the super night Music 2 led controller for LEDs in the boat and the WS 420 SQ. Finally figured out how to use the led lights. There is annoying ground noise that I need to figure out on another day.. 

After turning the battery switch to the off position and returning to the boat either next day or same day (week after I purchased) the stereo turns on, power to everything and no audio while boat is not running. After running the boat for a couple minutes all of the sudden the speakers will start emitting really loud beeps/distortion  fast then slow and audio will come back on. Couple minutes later Loud beeps and then it cuts out. It will do this a couple times and I will start messing with the WS rf controller holding down the power button and Audio returns. I have validated the battery voltage is 12.5 for both batteries. It really is quite annoying and the previous owner said it has never happened to him. Not sure if it matters but the led controller is switched on by having the reverse tower lights on. I have not messed with any the subwoofer gains or controllers. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by StJoel

There is probably a bad connection somewhere.

is this a factor system with aftermarket components or full aftermarket?

there can be several variables but I would start with this. Post some pics of the set up too.

check the source of any and all components and make sure they share the same B+, negative (ground), and remote (12v) origination source. And that the connections are solid.

check all input RCA connections, and identity if whine is coming from all channels, or just some (I.e just towers, Cabin etc) 

Thanks Steve. It is all stock factory issued Rockford Fosgate Amps and head unit. Wet sounds rev 10s. I was thinking it was a bad connection but does not make sense when it turns on there isnt a problem. If I shut off the boat with the power button and come back the next day without turning off battery switch all works fine. The two batteries tested at 12.5 volts. All connections are solid from the batteries back. 

Edited by StJoel
1 hour ago, StJoel said:

Wetsounds RF remote controls.

Can you post a pic of this? 

The noise is common with some RGB LED controllers. 

Do the audio controls seem to illuminate in the malivew? Back lighting on the EQ illuminate? Amps' power lights on and in normal mode or protect mode? 

12V at rest? what about engine running?

@MLA  Audio controls are illuminated, back lighting on eq is on, Amps power lights are on (Blue). Not sure how to tell if the amps are in protected mode?

@Stevo  Where can I find the black box to bypass it? Is there a post on the forum somewhere?

Thanks Guys again, appreciate it.

rf remote.jpg

Thats an LED controller. If it does not control the current LED controller, then toss its, its for any part of the audio system. 

protect mode usually is indicated by a flashing light or different color light then the normal mode. Seek out the amps manual for more on their particular function

Plug into the EQ's AUX jack and move the mode dial to AUX and you have no bypassed the rockford black box.  

For Reference for RF Punch Series Color codes... 

Power LED illuminates blue when the unit is turned on.

Protect LED illuminates yellow if a short circuit or to low of an impedance is detected at the speaker connections.

Thermal LED illuminates red when amplifier overheats. The amplifier will automatically shut down if this occurs

Black box should be located on the upper left side of the amp board, but the bypass can be done by unpluging the input to your Ws420, you can use the Aux 1/8 in connection to your phone or get a Bluetooth adapter.

i like both the exile Bluetooth adaptor $50 or the exile DMC $89

the DMC is the way to go IMHO and what I run currently. Here’s why,  it serves as an on off switch for the stereo, provides forward and back track function, volume up down, and play/pause,

i am stereo delete in my boat and the surf knob is meh imho , I was lucky enough to have the mods done by @IXFE before I got it, 

pic of DMC installed where surf knob went.

88EBD7A7-E3D7-4ED0-BFC2-8DD551680962.jpeg

• 2 months later...

For closure.  Brought boat into Malibu dealer today and the issue was the ws 420 eq. Apparently it got “wet”. The previous owner cut the top of the glove box out VS the alternative of cutting back out. We talked quite a bit about how can you have a product from a manufacturer who is called wet sounds but continually fail with it getting wet (dealer has multiple units on hand) . I spoke with a fellow Malibu owner who said he was out in fog and that also fried the unit. Hmmm. Any suggested alternatives then wet sounds eq? 

Edited by StJoel

I'm having a hard time visualizing "cutting the glove box," whether the back or the top.  Do you have a pic for reference?

No electronics are going to withstand frequent soakings or being submerged.  Best bet is to figure out a way to mount the eq where the chance of water intrusion is minimized.  I've lost a component (HSE trident volume controller) before, on a beautiful sunny day, just from water dripping on it from a wet kid standing "just right" next to it.

There are other EQs out there, but none are as robustly marinized.  Memphis allegedly makes a marinized EQ, but I've never seen one in the flesh.  I kinda doubt it's better than the WS in that respect.

I've run 2x clarion EQs (not marinized) and 1x exile ZLD (not marinized) and both worked like a champ.  the clarion EQs are only like $75 +/- on amazon and are decent units.  Audiocontrol three.1 and Arc Audio KEQ-5 are also options.  But none of those are going to be "better" that WS as far as water intrusion goes.  

Nobody else makes the "double EQ" where you can separately EQ tower and cabins (but one can definitely argue whether that's actually necessary).

On 12/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, shawndoggy said:

obody else makes the "double EQ" where you can separately EQ tower and cabins (but one can definitely argue whether that's actually necessary).

If I don’t turn those towers down when wife is  getting back in  from water and she gets quite aggravated , immediately towers down , Don’t want to run Volumatic  all the time , I get to turn up cabins and she’s happy I’m not blowing her away as she dries off or takes off her gear or suits on platform or sun deck , luv my 420 SQ and got lucky for 239 delivered on eBay from a non authorized WS sellers so no warranty 

got a shop to mount my real cool acrylic mount for SQ to dash, they scuffed it for me to frost it to better reflect its RGB light strip throughout the body of the acrylic, mount was $80? With bid plus cheap shipping

put it to right of  wheel right below dash so needed some fabbed metal backing added to back of dash to improve the stiffness of that area . Allowed to securely attach bracket going  to acrylic From back of dash , the 420sq mount is like an extension for dash towards floor that’s a solid acrylic wall that 420 slides into a pre cut rectangle opening like in a flush dash mount. 420 secures with the WS EQ L bracket to acrylic 

left the HU as the main and WS BT rocker switch transceiver (nice little component that works great even when mounted lower than dash even when we sit in our elevated surf cushion) as aux, acrylic has 3 rocker switch bays below 420 SQ.  1 for BT, 1 fir towers and speaker RGB and 1for el Diablo RGB drain plug light that have LEDs for signal of power on,

the acrylic mount came with the 3 LED rocker switches included in the rocker bays

LUV MY DASH SET UP

we put tower surf lights on second main dash  accessory switch with all sources on the other main dash accessory switch

so the really cool rocker switch bays in the acrylic really supplied two more needed accessory switches with the BT in the 3rd to wrap up extra controls for the stereo upgrade 

Edited by granddaddy55