Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

drive shaft coupler bolts loose

islanders

I had mine loosen up 2 times, and I didn't realize it until it sheared the bolts.  I found a small ding on my prop that I believe was causing enough vibration up the shaft to cause those bolts to loosen.  I put my spare prop on, and in the past 4 years have had no problems.  I've since got my original prop repaired and put it back on.  Still no issues.  The prop wasn't bad enough that I noticed the vibration, but I think it would have caused enough to cause those bolts to loosen.

You need to check them occasionally if you’re running a lot of weight. A friend of mine sheared his bolt also, so I checked mine, and they were also loose. I would check them at least every 100 hrs.

Mine came OEM with SS bolts, low grade steel lock washers and “brass” nuts. Needless to say my bilge looked like a tossed salad at the 60 hour service. I replaced the nuts with nylocs so I wouldn’t have to worry about it later on. Haven’t had an issue with them in the last 930 hours!,

7 minutes ago, jammer said:

Naive question -- where do I look to inspect the drive shaft coupler?   

Just behind the V drive on the shaft.  Get a feeler gauge as long as you're down there to check alignment.