Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing the color on your swimdeck

hawaiianstyln

I bought this boat 2nd hand.  If I had my choice I would love to get that swim deck gel coated white.  Is that even possible and how hard of a job is it.  This winter I'm pulling the pad off anyways and going with a Gator pad off the back.  Figured I would ask while I removed the old pad.  My only concern is that if I do spray gel over the red (if that is how it works) or something else, there is a lot of activity off the back.  For example I like to slide down into the water when the wakeboard is strapped on and I'm ready to ride.  Sometimes the fins hit the swim deck.  not sure if that would start chipping away and show the red again in the long run.

Image-1.jpg

Really not that hard at all.. more work than hard. As with any painting, good prep results in good job, bad prep results in bad job lol... It would be easier if you removed the pad from the deck..

I would sand down the deck with 120 then follow up with 220 and then wipe down. its ok to use a DA for all of this and will make the job go quicker. Then once you have all wiped down and ready to go assuming you have it all taped off

Mix up some gel coat with the wax already in it, add a reducing agent, some times called patch aid or the like.. your local Gel coat place should have this. it will slow down the cure time and still allow you to use the right about of MEKP to cure it off.

Use a 2.0 to 2.4 nozzle for first two coats providing buildup
Final coat with a 1.4 nozzle and at a higher ratio of thinning
Air psi from 40 to 80. (less is better to avoid orange peel)

Let it sit and fully cure since its wax based it will cure up tack free. now comes the fun part get a block or a hard back DA and some 400 and go to town sanding (your gonna have orange peel dont waste your time trying not to) after blocking it all down, get some 600 and 800 for a DA, use both of those.. then finish up with a product from 3M made just for this job, it is a very course polish that removes 800 and up sander scratches. 

It is labor intensive, 

• Like 2