Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

skinny stick tailwind

tvano

i'm thinking that i need to grow-up (sad for a 60 something, isn't it?) and learn to ski a tailwind.

tailwind has always been an issue and, since i don't see diminishing wind in the forecast, maybe it's time to address the issue.

give me your short and simple suggestions , because the likelihood that i can remember long and complex after the starting gates is pretty slim.

Try increasing the angle of the wing a few degrees. That will aid in decelerating the ski for turns and keep the line from slacking too much.

Not sure if that's your issue but I find my skiing is sensitive to wing angle.

Don't pull as long/hard, especially on your pull out.  With a tailwind, you will glide a lot further/easier vs a headwind.  From ball to ball, ease up shortly  after the second wake and make your edge change, while continuing to ski outbound.  Every good pass starts with a good gate, so just work on your pull out intensity on a tail vs head,  and the rest will follow.  While adding wing angle could "potentially" help slow you down coming into the ball, you certainly don't want this on your headwind passes, so leave it at the stock setting IMO.  

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 3

Good point with the pullout @Brodie!

Other than that - no need to change much, especially don’t mess with fin/wing settings, even though @minnmarker‘s idea might help in a tailwind situation, what about the next (headwind) pass? :biggrin:

Just focus on moving a tad bit earlier and a bit quicker than usual through your whole pass and you should be golden.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

@tvano:  Lets start with - tailwind sucks, but the return pass is awesome.  My items - pullout is slightly less intense, shorter and depending on how much wind up to a boat length different and I experiment at the longer passes.  More intense pull before first wake and stop pulling earlier.  I try to counter rotate and dip my hip more to tighten the turn radius so I don't end up too far down-course and am able to lock in and get a slightly earlier pull (but hard to actually accomplish).  Hope like heck I make my second hardest line length and revel in the chance to return in to the wind at my shortest:)

So, shall we talk cross wind, LOL.