Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to easily change your oil.

Trentster

This is my answer from reading Boomers post on changing the oil in his 05 VLX. Now that you have the suction oil change thingy you will never go back!

I run my boat for 20 minutes with a fake a lake out of the water.

I then remove the speedo paddle wheel and dangle the oil hose through it. For those of you that will be emptying the oil by gravity- I take off the oil caps on the valve covers and then start to drain in an oil pan on the ground underneath the dangling oil hose. It takes about 45 min to an hour to completely drain. During that time I do other things like wax, vacuum, etc. For those of you that have the suction thingy that holds like six or seven quarts- I made a fitting that twists onto the end of my drain plug to the suction container, and still suck it out from underneath the boat with the oil hose out of the paddle wheel hole. I never liked sucking oil out through the dip stick- I just can't come close to getting it all out. I am also afraid that some day I will still make a mess inside of the boat with my suction container.

To get the oil filter off I first line the bilge with paper towels. I then loosen it so that I can turn it by hand. Before the seal breaks I place a LARGE ziplock freezer bag around it. The freezer bag can be so big that it touches the floor. That way if you drop it it doesn't yank the freezer bag out of your hand and spill the oil. I then twist it the rest of the way off by gripping the freezer bag that is around it. Then it drops into the freezer bag and I close it - no mess! The few drips that I do get go onto the towels underneath.

Just wait until you have to fill your new 07 Moonson with oil! You will be making another trip to the parts store for a long narrow funnel that makes it past the new ETX Cats to the valve covers!

Hope that helps!

Trentster Rockon.gif

Edited by Trentster
This is my answer from reading Boomers post on changing the oil in his 05 VLX. I didn't want my answer lost in the three pages of replies. I'm surprised I didn't see anyone suggest this when I quickly went through it.

I then remove the speedo paddle wheel and dangle the oil hose through it. I take off the oil caps on the valve covers and then start to drain in an oil pan. It takes about an 45 min to an hour to completely drain. During that time I do other things like wax, vacuum, etc.

To get the oil filter off I first line the bilge with paper towels. I then loosen it so that I can turn it by hand. Before the seal breaks I place a LARGE ziplock freezer bag around it. The freezer bag can be so big that it touches the floor. That way if you drop it it doesn't yank the freezer bag out of your hand and spill the oil. I then twist it the rest of the way off by gripping the freezer bag that is around it. Then it drops into the freezer bag and I close it - no mess! The few drips that I do get go onto the towels underneath.

Just wait until you have to fill your new 07 Moonson with oil! You will be making another trip to the parts store for a long narrow funnel that makes it past the new ETX Cats to the valve covers!

Hope that helps!

Trentster Rockon.gif

Exactly how I deal with the filter, it works well to do it this way. I have found that on the Hammerhead I can get the drain hose through the rear transom plug hole, so I fish it though there & then use the Tempo pump to pump it out. I don't have the patience to wait for it to drain, so the pump works well for me.

Also with a remote oil filter I have found that it only gives a point for the oil to drip much higher from and make more of a mess once the filter is off. Especially if you are outside changing your oil with some wind.

This is my answer from reading Boomers post on changing the oil in his 05 VLX. Now that you have the suction oil change thingy you will never go back!

I then remove the speedo paddle wheel and dangle the oil hose through it. For those of you that will be emptying the oil by gravity- I take off the oil caps on the valve covers and then start to drain in an oil pan on the ground underneath the dangling oil hose. It takes about 45 min to an hour to completely drain. During that time I do other things like wax, vacuum, etc. For those of you that have the suction thingy that holds like six or seven quarts- I made a fitting that twists onto the end of my drain plug to the suction container, and still suck it out from underneath the boat with the oil hose out of the paddle wheel hole. I never liked sucking oil out through the dip stick- I just can't come close to getting it all out. I am also afraid that some day I will still make a mess inside of the boat with my suction container.

Hope that helps!

Trentster Rockon.gif

I agree. I have used my Tempo sucking the oil out the dipstick and I believe that I am left with close to a quart of oil still left in the block.

I used to do the ziplock bag thing. Last time I popped a couple holes in the filter with a small nail and let the filter drain into a plastic container. It created less mess than a slippery ziplock bag with the oil tipping out the top of a filter. Under the engine, I place oil-absorbent mats and a foil lasgna pan.

I made a fitting that twists onto the end of my drain plug to the suction container...
Can you elaborate? Pics? etc? Last time, I just stuck the long tube (used for goin through the dip stick) into the drain tube. I suspect the connector you describe would be much more effective!

Thanks!

JZ

I made a fitting that twists onto the end of my drain plug to the suction container...
Can you elaborate? Pics? etc? Last time, I just stuck the long tube (used for goin through the dip stick) into the drain tube. I suspect the connector you describe would be much more effective!

Thanks!

JZ

OK, JZ, Didn't you ask about this a year ago???? RTFM.gifTease2.gif

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....2&hl=tempo#

Biggrin.gif

Edited by Addictedto6

As for keeping down the mess when changing the oil filter, some filters have a rubber valve to keep the oil from draining out of the dirty side of the filter. They're good for a Ford engine because their filters are mounted horizontally. I had been using the filters without the valve on my 310 Indmar because I thought it unneccesary as GM engines have vertically mounted filters. I'm now using GM filters with the valve as they don't drain out all over as much when changing them.

BUSTED! Cry.gif

Thanks!

JZ

OK, JZ, Didn't you ask about this a year ago???? RTFM.gifTease2.gif

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....2&hl=tempo#

Biggrin.gif

Thanks!

JZ

A spark plug wire cap (the black rubber thing) works great!

Edited by 99response