Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crankshaft Snapped at pulley on 383 Hammerhead

Have had numerous problems with the engine in my WakeSetter this season ranging from new computer, new distributor, O2 sensors, Crankshaft sensor, fuel pump (all of which Malibu Dealer insisted was malfunctioning) and now, snapped Crankshaft just outside the engine behind the pulley.  This actually happened this week as the boat was being water tested by the mechanic after he installed new fuel pump and crankshaft sensor indicator.  Engine has 400 hours on it and boat/engine have been serviced, stored and maintained at dealer who sold it, following all their service recommendations.

Needless to say after spending thousands on repairs this season to date (not to mention only able to use the boat for two weekends in between repairs), to now have to either repair or replace the motor is frustrating.  

Trying to determine what direction to go with this and looking for ideas?  Many thanks!

It's happened before:

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 6:31 PM, rychuk said:

I recently had my crank snap off where it connects to the harmonic balancer. P.O.S. cast/forged crank had a lot of flaws in the casting.

Got a new solid machined steel crank now and upgraded bearings and timing kit. Engine is back in the boat at my mechanics shop. He is great but not sure how to align the engine properly.

I am planning on taking it into a trusted marine shop who work on bu's all the time.

Question is - is there anything my mechanic can do or watch for when putting the engine back in? I was planning on doing a very light water test to make sure it is running ok prior to taking it back to the professionals.

Engine is a HH in 2009 LSV. Fingers crossed it runs! So far I think I have gotten off light.

Yes, snapped right behind the harmonic balancer. Year of boat is 2008. I am second owner and have owned it for 4 years. No problems at all before this summer. 

All belt driven accessories turn and the engine turns as well so no apparent engine-driven issues.  Just the snapped crank.  Unfortunately, can't post pics.

12 minutes ago, KNB said:

All belt driven accessories turn and the engine turns as well so no apparent engine-driven issues.  Just the snapped crank.  Unfortunately, can't post pics.

If you have pictures they could be posted using  Imgur or other links.  I think it will show a long term failure but It may also show casting issues.  I do not think it has anything to do with driven issues. I have seen this before not in marine but yes auto. 

You can not rebuild it on your own. You will need A new crank and it will need to be balanced. So you will need A good speed shop for that. If you don't have experience and tools its not a good time to go to class. Its not just bolt things together!

As with many of the topics on the forum it very hard to just give you a simple answer. It has many parts to give thought. Are you able to do some or much of your own work? Would yo like any different aspects to the power you have now? What expertise you can trust do you have in your area?  What will you do with the old engine? It has value.  What are the difference in cost?   What do you replace it with, A new crate engine or A creditably company rebuild?  If you are like me you are going into a long layoff to have work done. But it would be good to make a move and have things done before a new season. 

Thanks for the comments. My marina says they cannot find a remanufactured motor but have come across a new Indmar 6.2 L Hammerhead fully built and never used from a Re-seller.  Just missing the intake and exhaust manifolds. Don’t think Indmar makes them anymore so thinking it could be a few years old. Any concern on gaskets, seals, internal rust or solidifying build lube?

Also, where would I advertise the old one. It still runs on the battery and has new distributor, plugs, wires, crank shaft sensor, computer?

thanks again. 

1 hour ago, KNB said:

Thanks for the comments. My marina says they cannot find a remanufactured motor but have come across a new Indmar 6.2 L Hammerhead fully built and never used from a Re-seller.  Just missing the intake and exhaust manifolds. Don’t think Indmar makes them anymore so thinking it could be a few years old. Any concern on gaskets, seals, internal rust or solidifying build lube?

Also, where would I advertise the old one. It still runs on the battery and has new distributor, plugs, wires, crank shaft sensor, computer?

thanks again. 

If you are at that point, I'd call Indmar.  Those guys are wonderful to deal with and know their stuff.  Get the details on that motor you found and call them.  They can help you out.

The hammerhead is a marinized ZZ383 crate motor. The crankshaft is available but is spendy. I would take the advice given above and call Indmar as they really are great to deal with and will help you as much as possible. 

I beleive this is the replacement https://paceperformance.com/i-6255227-12489436-cpp-1053-forged-steel-crankshaft-used-in-ht383-and-zz383-crate-engines.html

@KNB:  If you consider the reman your marina found, make sure it is marine compatible, brass core or freeze plugs, correct cam (not sure if your hammerhead uses the ZZ4 cam or a marine grind, Indmar can tell you).  You will find once you step up from a base crate engine, they price tag does escalate pretty quickly which along with a potential warranty option will influence your decision.  If you have the appropriate resources, a crank swap should be the most economical route with the assumption the source you select will do it correctly and as noted make sure the reciprocating parts are all balanced.  All the other issues you note may also determine your decision.  400 hours on all the rest of the parts is very low so they should be in great condition.

Thank you all.  Woodski, I've been told it is not a reman but an original, Indmar manufactured hammerhead that has been sitting on their shelf for several years.  zero hours, never fired.  has everything but the distributor, ecm, intake and exhaust manifold and wiring harness.  Indmar suggests I have them replace the fluids, prime it up and make sure it is pumping fluids correctly.  if so, they think it should perform fine over time.  No need to replace gaskets, seals, etc.  I'm leaning that way but waiting for a price to rebuild mine.  most shops (and my mechanic) are uncomfortable just replacing the crank, assuming there must be some other issue with the motor since the breakdown is so unusual.