Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting close to an A20

semi

Tell me I am going to love this boat please!  It's a new 2018 fairly loaded with surf package and power wedge2. Looking for something that surfs better than my older X2. Gotta stay 20' due to my lake and lift. The one thing is I don't know much about axis or Malibu for that matter. 

Opinions from A20 owners? 

I have a 2017 a20. I can’t imagine needing power wedge on this boat, especially since now I surf without it. I feel the boat surfs better with actual weight, and not simulated weight that the wedge offers. I also noticed the boat runs a couple hundred rpms less with no wedge and full rear bags vs. wedge and less bag weight. I think the wedge would come in handy for lift mode for wakeboard speeds but my boat doesn’t have an issue fully weighted with the prop I have on it. All in all I think the a20 throws the best surf wave for a 20 footer and the wakeboard wake is insane to me(I’m a novice wakeboarder). The base 409 engine is stupid good with the right prop. It’s more motor than you need on that boat. My only major gripe about the 2017-18’s is the stereo. But I swapped mine out for the wetsounds unit and love it. Get the boat, you won’t regret it. 

On 9/4/2018 at 9:26 PM, onewake09 said:

I have a 2017 a20. I can’t imagine needing power wedge on this boat, especially since now I surf without it. 

I surf and use my power wedge......for resell value.  

There is a reason most a20’s dont have power wedge. As a matter of fact most dealers that order a stock boat, if its an a20 they dont get pw on it. Its an option that doesnt make alot sense for that price point. If you have a lake restriction and want an optioned out boat then yeah get it. But to me, on that boat it wont make a big enough difference to have it. 

I agree about the wedge and stereo. I have tried to surf with it a couple times but it doesnt seem to help. As for the stereo, often times i find myself hitting the tune up/down instead of the volume. Would love to just have a knob to turn. Other that those two things the boat is great. Easy to manage in and out of the water, i can fit it in the garage for winter storage, and you can actually use it as a cross over. You can ski behind it, wakeboarding wake is a lot of fun(more that i need), and the surf wake is good.

I have an '18 A20 and added the power wedge.  I can't imagine not having it.  We wakeboard 75% and surf 25%.  We have the added plug and play in the rear and run an extra 4-500 in the bow.  Lift mode jumps us onto plane fully sacked out with 6-7 people in the boat.  My buddy has a '16 and with floating wedge and bow weight, he's not able to completely fill his rear plug and play.  If you're going to primarily surf, then I can see not needing it.  If you're buying the boat to wakeboard, then i would weight the boat according to the way you will be riding behind it and see how it performs.