Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Leak, it pays to snoop around regularly

• 1 month later...

That is not a quick job! On a Response you need to remove both interior side panels, the trunk lid, the rear seat, inner rear trunk panel, the panel that covers the filler tube inside the trunk and finally the trunk floor.

Tank is secured to the floor with 2 L-brackets beneath the rear seat, as soon as these are removed it slides right forward.

44556679145_f0d3580721_k.jpg

Edited by Chaabo
Pic added

It's a lot of work if you want to take it to the level @Chaabo shows above.  That is also a very very different tank setup than is in my '01.

I was able to get access to my tank without removing all of that on my '01.  First thing I did was remove the rear panel with the glove cubbies in it.  That was I think 7 short screws along the top and 6 longer screws on the bottom.  Then remove the block which conceals the fill hose, and if you have one, the block that holds the shower guts on the other side as well.  My boat also has two L-shaped brackets connecting the trunk base to the rear seat assembly.  Remove those.  Once those were out, I could slide and lift up the trunk base, but I couldn't get it out.  It worked for the purposes of looking for possible sources of the smell.

I never did find anything that looked to be leaking actual fuel, but I was able to put a good 3/4 to full turn on each screw holding the sending unit to the tank.  I did that and didn't notice any fuel smells while out the other day, but I was also running with 1/2 tank of fuel or so.  I only tend to notice any smell when the tank is full.