Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Help - Sudden Issues and I’m Dumb

Leftlane

Hi all -

2014 23 LSV - I have my daughter and a crew of 10 of her friends at the lake this weekend.  All is great - surfing, tubing, cruising, jamming to tunes. We listened to music via Bluetooth this morning, then the Bluetooth connection kicked us off and none of us could reconnect - kept saying unable to connect and to turn on the Bluetooth in the boat and make sure it is in range.  At the same time we got all kinds of static that got louder and louder and I couldn’t turn it down thru the head unit or the Wetsounds controller - just kept getting louder, so I turned the whole thing off.  A few minutes later I turned it back on - static and distortion, no music, not even in FM mode.

I shut it off and when we put it on the lift I turned off all electronics and also the batteries.  15 minutes later after deleting my boat from my phone Bluetooth list and re-adding it, I could get it to connect, but the same static and distortion with no music.

Never had any issues - it’s a pretty stout system (Rockford Fosgate RFX5000 HU and A/V black box, RF R400 4 channel amp, TREO TM 600amp for sub, ARC audio KS 300.2 amp for tower speakers, WS 420SQ, WS Rev 10s, LED rings) and usually rocks the lake with crystal clear sound and zero Bluetooth issues.  This happened out of the blue - and I have no idea where to even start.  Easy suggestions that a dummy like me can check myself on a holiday weekend with 11 impatient college kids ready to surf?

I don’t see anything that got disconnected or is otherwise obvious.  The weirdest thing is the static even in AUX mode with no devices connected via BT, and the inability to turn down the volume of the static at all.

Thanks in advance - if anyone is on Lake LBJ this weekend and can help the beer is on me!

Todd

Edited by Leftlane

Thanks MLA - I connected my phone directly to the AUX with the 3.5mm cable and I can get the music to play through all speakers pretty good with just a slight amount of static.  The static seems to be isolated to the left speakers both in the boat and on the tower.  It also seems to be related to the microphone somehow, which I don't understand.  If I click the talk button repeatedly on the microphone I get occasional sound bursts and static.  I do remember my wife using the mic one time yesterday to talk to a surfer, but I don't know if that has anything to do with our issue. I looked over every connection I could reach including the sub and all seems good, but of course I really don't know what I'm looking at anyway.  Not sure how you guys work on this stuff - I'm small and I can barely contort myself to see the connections. 

I still cannot get music to play via Bluetooth w/o a tremendous amount of static, if at all.  I wonder if something got wet - kids were on and off the boat constantly while surfing and we did have a few rogue wakes splash over the bow a time or two (it was too busy on the lake), but it was nothing more than usual.  Never had an issue with any of the components or the mic before yesterday.

Ok will do - I'll have to climb under there later as I covered it up with a storm blowing in.  I did unplug the mic from its jack to see if it would get rid of the static entirely, but it didn't.  However, it was not completely disconnected from the back of the SQ as I can't exactly see where it goes - the AUX cable is easy for me to see but the black line for the mic goes somewhere else.  I appreciate the ideas - wish I wasn't so clueless.

The MIC connects to a pigtail that about 6-8 inches long. so its only connector is not far from the back of the SQ. Just make sure to pull it completely, not just partially as they would still leave part of the MIC circuit connected. 

MLA you are some kind of wizard.  I ran up to the store and got the RCA adapter, plugged it in to the main inputs on the SQ, and played music.  It was working okay, but I was still getting static (hadn't disconnected mic yet).  I still couldn't tell where the mic line pigtailed, so I took the entire SQ down and found where the mic line was spliced with a heat shrink around it - it must have been a bad connection, because after I fiddled with it and hooked everything back up I could now play music via the AUX or BT w/o any static or distortion.  I double checked the boat and tower speakers and all seems back to normal.

Many thanks to you for giving me some of your Labor Day time to help out.  PM me your address and I'll send  you a Starbucks gift card.

Todd

Appears to be the issue - when my wife pulled the mic over to the passenger side it must have yanked the connection just enough to cause problems.  I'll keep my fingers crossed when I fire it up the next time we're on the water, but it seems like everything was working fine after your help.