Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
ID AX

calling slalom peeps again

ID AX

Still dreaming of a dedicated slalom tug but with a 10k budget.  Came across this add and I don't know a lot about the sportster line and am curious what to expect from this hull?  Boat would be used exclusively for slalom sets.  Ideally at 1 of the private lakes but more likely open water early mornings or late evenings.  I know a guy with a 92 prostar & he is wanting to go a couple times a week.  Would this boat be a good option to put into rotation with his prostar?

https://boise.craigslist.org/bod/d/1995-malibu-flightcraft/6668518579.html

edit - found this 92 prostar local to me.  Thoughts on it?  

https://boise.craigslist.org/boa/d/mastercraft-prostar/6647083521.html

Edited by ID AX

ID AX

I know the TSC SN are the coveted but what about pre TSC?  I owned a 1990 SN as my first boat 20 years ago but honestly don't really remember the ski wake and wasn't that interested in it at the time.  Wakeboarding was the newest thing back then :lol: and that's the most boat i could afford.  

This is a mirror of my first SN and for sale local

https://boise.craigslist.org/boa/d/1990-ski-nautique/6635305219.html

67King

I'd love a 91-94 Pro Star.  That would be my first choice. That said, any reason you don't just offer to pay the guy who owns one some substantial gas money? The only thing better than having your own boat, it's having easy access to a friend's!

ID AX
9 minutes ago, 67King said:

I'd love a 91-94 Pro Star.  That would be my first choice. That said, any reason you don't just offer to pay the guy who owns one some substantial gas money? The only thing better than having your own boat, it's having easy access to a friend's!

I want to find multiple options for slalom pulls.  He says a couple times a week but he also left one of the private clubs because he wasn’t using the membership enough.  He has small kids and they are all into different sports.  If it works, awesome but my experience says I need to line up 3 or 4 options if I want at least 2 pulls a week. 

Rednucleus

My best bud bought his 98 Sporty new and it is a wonderful slalom tug & barefoot boat. We use it almost exclusively on a private course - every Wed for the past 6 seasons. I always say it handles like a sports car. Obviously not a good rough water boat but not an issue for your needs.  Every year we go to the Seattle Boat Show (mostly for happy hour) and are always happy to go home to the Sporty vs considering a new boat. 

That 350 mag should give you 44-46mph top end - had that motor in my Sanger and like it a lot. Also, don't see a perfect pass. Easy install on that boat. I think that's a fair price; 880 hrs great.

Edited by Rednucleus
additions

UWSkier

That flightcraft sportster is a very different boat than the Malibu Sportster, which was first known as the funky Tantrum.  Between those two, the PS is a far better slalom tug.  That was a great wake.

If you want a Malibu, I'd suggest a Sportster, Echelon, or if you can locate one, a Response in your price range.  Like this one.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/1996-Malibu-Response-for-sale-Milawukee-Wisconsin-86172.aspx

ID AX

Thanks for the replies.  My wife just explained to me that we aren’t getting a 2nd boat until we live on the water.  Of course she’s right and I’m just trying to get the best of both worlds.  Oh well back to dreaming 

braindamage

Sounds like she’s giving you the “go-ahead” to buy a place on the lake!!