Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop shear key 2010 VLX

creedxs78

I have a 2010 Malibu VLX 21. I hit a rock and bent the prop last week and had to get it rebuilt. When the guy at the prop shop pulled the prop off he said the key had been sheared. I got a replacement key from my local marine dealer, but it does not seem to fit properly. The new key is just a standard 1/4 inch square key. Does anyone know if there is a different key for this boat? I watched a video and it shows the key fitting easily into the slot on the prop, and the new key I bought seems to be too big to just slide in easily. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They are shaped a bit funny.  You could always gringmd it down for a better fit.  I would think anyone who deals in props could set you straigjt with the correct key.  Mine have fit easy with no need to work to install them.  Hope that helps

1 hour ago, isellacuras said:

You keep a file in your truck?  That's just weird.   

I have a bastard and a half moon in my truck at all times.  Some files too.

2 hours ago, isellacuras said:

You keep a file in your truck?  That's just weird.   

I pretty much have *everything* in my truck.  I keep it for all the other sorts of things.  About the only thing I don't have room for is people... but that's not always so bad. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wakesonthesnake said:

I have a bastard and a half moon in my truck at all times.  Some files too.

I have been driving 30 years and not 1 time have i pulled over and thought "you know? I wish i had a file". I keep a small one in my boat tool bag in case i need to file down an edge on my prop. The concrete was easily accessible and functional for my key so i didn't even need my file in that case. Just needed to knock the edge down. 

The old school way to fit a prop is to install it without a key, mark the shaft at the front of the prop hub, put the prop on with the key, then file the key as needed so the prop is fully seated on the shaft taper to the mark on the shaft.  I was taught that anything over 400 horsepower should use a stainless key instead of a brass one.  How I miss the overly labor intensive days of olde.