Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weird Head Unit Issue- Miswiring Error

mgb1974

Having issues this year with my head unit. Its a Kenwood head unit (3 years old) . I am using the dual zone control,  Wet Sounds HT4 powering a set of Rev10s. A MB quart NA540.6 powering 6 cabin speakers. 

Everytime I give the engine gas the radio goes into error. Says " miswiring, check wiring then power on". I have checked and double checked everything. Dedicated ground for amps and radio. I put all of my speaker wire in looms and its not near the power or ground cable. 

Tried running just cabin speakers, just tower speakers. Elminated the zone control, ran just the RCA cables for the cabin speakers to the radio. Check resistance of my ground cables, checked good. 

Stopped and sitting even with the engine on it sounds great. This year I added the HT4 (replaced a blown PPI Amp) and added the cabin speakers and MB quart. 

I am thinking I have a bad head unit at this point? Any advice before I buy a new radio. Upcoming long lake trip in a week so want to make sure its fixed before then.  The head unit for sure got wet a couple times when caught out in the rain, it is not a marine head unit. Its relocated to below my dash from the arm rest. 

This might be more work than it's worth, but do you happen to have a switch or an easy way to disconnect the alternator from the battery for the stereo?  About the only thing left I can think of that correlates to engine activity is the way the electronic noise signature of the alternator changes with RPMs or the alternator is going too high in voltage.  I've had other products (mostly lighting and some infotainment) in the past that became sensitive to certain frequencies in the range of alternator rectification with age.  If you can remove the alternator from the power to the stereo that'll help prove that out. Maybe disconnect the positive of the stereo battery from the starter battery and see what happens.

1 minute ago, MLA said:

Whats good? What about with the engine running, when the issue happens? An over charging alternator could cause this error from the head unit. 

Hah.  Beat me to it.  Good path to investigate for sure.

3 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Hah.  Beat me to it.  Good path to investigate for sure.

Sorry guys. I am at 12.5V-12.8V when off and about 13.5V when running. 

I did have feedback in the tower speakers before I ran a dedicated ground for the radio. Last year before I put in new cabin speakers on a amp I didnt have any feedback.