Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Boat

BKeating

I am looking at an 2006 VLX Wakesetter or a 2008 Wakesetter 23 SLV.  I am buying this for general water spots but would like to surf.  Does anyone know what I will need to do in order to surf behind either of these boats?

Dont know about the water SPOTS but its pretty ez to dial that in to a world class surf boat.

Get a wave shaper like Mission Delta, Nuaticurl, Swell and the like. This will make the wave. Then add ballast to make it bigger.

800-1100 lb bags in each rear trunk. 500-700 lb in bow. may also use a couple hundred lbs under midship seats.

Apply wedge as needed.

We use lead in bow and midship under the seats to avoid any fatsacs on the seats. And we have rear sacs plumbed in with MLS system

In addition to the rear bags if you get an LSV you can put a 600 lb. bag in the ski locker and 250 lbs. under the bow seats so you don't have to have bags on the seats.

Lots of good options.

Besides weight don’t discount the importance of a good surf board (right fit for style, rider weight, etc) and ability (practice makes perfect). I have seen a dude pull a tantrum behind a small fishing boat before, and I personally can do a doubles (my son and I) 360 behind a VLX (21ft). Weight is great...but hours behind it and any other boat you get the pleasure to surf will make the difference. 

Both sound like awesome boats...pull the trigger!

55 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

Along with what was posted by Brad above, do some thread searches. These topics are so numerous... you might not get many replies on yours. 

I found ~10 threads that talked about setups in my quick search while typing this out for you.

Instead of continuing to :horse: I will give you instructions...

Weight

More weight

Lots of friends that add weight

Fill that gas tank up to add weight

Weight in the front

Weight in the back

Weight everywhere

That seat over there? Put some weight there.

2k#+

PS longer the boat (23 instead of 21) the better typically.

Oh, one quick last thing, as you are setting up both of those boats, to get the best wave, the best shape and the best push... Weight.

This completely validates me constantly shoving terrible food into my piehole and down my gullet.  Seems the cheapest way to get a better wave.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Go with a 23 LSV.  I have a VLX and really wish I had a 23 LSV (hopefully next year).

Both good options.  But if you like to ski occasionally, have a smaller crew, have a lift already that holds 4,000 lbs., or have a budget limit, then the VLX looks good.

11 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Both good options.  But if you like to ski occasionally, have a smaller crew, have a lift already that holds 4,000 lbs., or have a budget limit, then the VLX looks good.

I would argue that a VLX skis just as poorly as a 23LSV.  If the OP wants to ski, then a VTX or a direct drive are the only routes to go IMO.  I ski a lot, but I never ski behind my VLX.  My kids won't even ski behind it any more.  Yes, at 34-36 MPH and 28-32' off it does flatten out, but most rec skiers don't play there.

Edited by Brodie
1 hour ago, Brodie said:

I would argue that a VLX skis just as poorly as a 23LSV.  If the OP wants to ski, then a VTX or a direct drive are the only routes to go IMO.  I ski a lot, but I never ski behind my VLX.  My kids won't even ski behind it any more.  Yes, at 34-36 MPH and 28-32' off it does flatten out, but most rec skiers don't play there.

OP is looking for surf boat not a ski boat... I believe that @minmarker is saying is that if there is any limitations to boat size and/or you want to occasionally ski then he recommends the VLX... OP is not looking for a ski boat that can surf  occasionally. I ski my 23 lsv on occasions and the wake is softer and less rampy than my direct drive lx... Add front ballast and the wake does soften up and not as rampy compared to no ballast...

Anyways.. if there is no limiting factors.. 23 lsv all day... I have GSA installed on mine (gosurfassist) and the wave is impeccable. The 23 will require more weight than the VLX. the big difference is on length.. longer boat = longer wave... and always remember as @ajwakedevil stated.. there is no replacement for displacement and regardless of what surf device you use... adding more weight to surf side always improves the wake.

Edit... Well, topic is Surfboat.. But wants a watersports boat that can surf.. I retract my statement and will state.. What is the main focus water sport? Barefooting, Skiing, WakeBoarding,  AirChair, Tubing (just testing lol) or surfing... Any of the boats in the malibu will perform all sports, but different models are focused at a sport ... as @Brodie stated.. if skiing is your main focus, then buy a model best suited for skiing, you can still perform all other activities behind it as well.

https://youtu.be/kMgLs2BQ3do

Edited by kerpluxal
2 hours ago, BKeating said:

Thanks for the replies.  My take away is with fat friends and fat sacks these boats will surf (with a little practice). Thanks again!

Don't lower your standards 😨.  Not the FAT women.  Although they might make a better surf wake won't be as easy on the eyes.  Then again some serious surfers May justify those extra pounds.

17 minutes ago, MileHighVLX said:

Don't lower your standards 😨.  Not the FAT women.  Although they might make a better surf wake won't be as easy on the eyes.  Then again some serious surfers May justify those extra pounds.

LOL... I ALWAYS treat my crew to the Buffet before session :rofl: