Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you still by a '17 leftover

Brantb

Since the last 2 boats were both 2018 models, it might be worth discussing if those leftovers get much discount.  My limited experience is that they don't.  I suspect it varies by dealer, but am interested to hear perspectives on if you could get a 2018 leftover for a great deal right now.  It would make sense that they wouldn't want to hang on to a boat all winter, but if their flooring cost isn't much, they aren't going to let it go for a steal either.  How much does it cost for a dealer to hold a boat for 6 months?  

50 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Since the last 2 boats were both 2018 models, it might be worth discussing if those leftovers get much discount.  My limited experience is that they don't.  I suspect it varies by dealer, but am interested to hear perspectives on if you could get a 2018 leftover for a great deal right now.  It would make sense that they wouldn't want to hang on to a boat all winter, but if their flooring cost isn't much, they aren't going to let it go for a steal either.  How much does it cost for a dealer to hold a boat for 6 months?  

It depends on the new models.  I'm guessing a 2018 22VLX will be discounted with the release of the 22LSV.  We all know it's a similar boat but new buyers look at it as one model was discontinued while another was released.  Same holds true on the Axis line.  I wouldn't want to have stock of a 2018 A22 when the new model was redesigned for 2019.  I don't think the PW2 vs PW3 and such updates matter so much but redesigned models is a biggie.

Can the average Joe walk into a dealer for the first time and get a screaming great deal on a 2018? Probably not, but for those with close and established dealer relationships, great deals can be had on 2018s.  I happen to know this for a fact as we put a deposit on a 2018 22VLX this past weekend.  We went in about 3 weeks ago to look at some new colors as we planned to order a new T22 but left with a few options we didn't think were possible.  Something to take into consideration is we (wife and I) are now going on boat #4 with this dealer (2 used and 2 new) and my parents have had 4 new Malibu's over the years with two coming from this dealer.  We have 4 other family members in a newer Axis or Malibu because they have been out in our boats and our dealer extended them the same quality/service that they have given to us so our deal was based on our relationship and prior history, but I do think good deals can be had on previous year boats.

I get that people want the best price and deals can be had but I promise that if you can look long term, the dealer relationship is more important than price.  Knowing that I have support behind the boat and after the sale is why I keep coming back. Not all dealers offer the same quality service but too often people are quick to judge based off a 30sec phone call or email quote and assume "that dealer is high".  Guys that turnover boats regularly know what I'm talking about as I bet the vast majority wouldn't be doing it without the dealer support.

• Like 3

I'm in the same situation right now and looking for advise. I was originally planning on ordering a 2019 21 VLX, but my dealer (190 miles away) has a left over 2017 22 VLX sitting on the showroom floor. Coming from a 2006 VLX either one would be a huge improvement but I was thinking if I could get a great deal on the 2017 it might be worth it. It is my understanding the 2019 VLX is losing the stock sub, PnP, heater, and one other item I can't remember. Since I am meeting with them today, I find out what other up-charges to expect. Just wondering was a good deal would be on the 2017 to be worth my while. Interior and exterior colors are right in line with what I would pick on a new one so I not worried about settling for something.

2 hours ago, achimbos said:

I'm in the same situation right now and looking for advise. I was originally planning on ordering a 2019 21 VLX, but my dealer (190 miles away) has a left over 2017 22 VLX sitting on the showroom floor. Coming from a 2006 VLX either one would be a huge improvement but I was thinking if I could get a great deal on the 2017 it might be worth it. It is my understanding the 2019 VLX is losing the stock sub, PnP, heater, and one other item I can't remember. Since I am meeting with them today, I find out what other up-charges to expect. Just wondering was a good deal would be on the 2017 to be worth my while. Interior and exterior colors are right in line with what I would pick on a new one so I not worried about settling for something.

As you may already know, the 22 VLX is a completely different boat than the 21 VLX, which is a base model that is shorter, narrower and likely has fewer options than the 22. The 22 VLX will feel like a lot more boat with the extra space, and will generally surf and wakeboard better with the extra size and weight. I would personally go that route if the dealer’s motivated to move the 2017 and you like it.

The 17 is being sold as new. The only issue I have so far that I know can be correctly easily is that it's missing tower speakers, sub and amplifiers. Otherwise it has most other options including surf seating, rear camera, PNP and such. A little too much flake, but I can live with it.

When i end up getting a new one i could care less about the tower speakers and sub. I personally dont think what they charge(or you end up paying) for those options is worth it. I have spare time during the winter months and i would happily sit out in the garage running wire and having a beer while sitting in the boat.

I agree on the tower speakers and sub, the odd things is that I have asked for a price on the boat 3 times now and they dealer still hasn't provided one. Might be time for me to make an offer and see if they bite. My season is over so I have time to wait.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, Hemmy said:

I saw this leftover 17 25 LSV for 109,995 for comparisons sake.  You should be able to get a sweet deal on a 23 LSV.

https://www.munsonski.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=4650537&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xNewInventory

On 9/4/2018 at 1:33 PM, TallRedRider said:

I think you sold it for them.  I would ask for a commission.  It looked like a really nice find.  I wonder if it included the trailer.  

Back on September 4th, they said it was sold when I talked to them.  Apparently that fell through.   I saw it advertised for 105K 10 days ago.  I called them right away and we started some negotiation on a trade, then it sold before I decided to commit.    Someone got a steal.  It always seems that nobody is interested in something until I want it.  

Edited by TallRedRider
6 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Back on September 4th, they said it was sold when I talked to them.  Apparently that fell through.   I saw it advertised for 105K 10 days ago.  I called them right away and we started some negotiation on a trade, then it sold before I decided to commit.    Someone got a steal.  It always seems that nobody is interested in something until I want it.  

That suck for you.  It would be interesting to see what they paid.  I wonder if they were able to get it even lower than the 105k.  Either way, still a sweet deal. 

He was clear to me not to bargain, that it was already below invoice.  But I'm just some guy calling from 1600 miles away, although we did talk enough to know that I was fairly serious.  

On 10/29/2018 at 6:14 PM, TallRedRider said:

He was clear to me not to bargain, that it was already below invoice.  

Sales technique.  Unless the dealership has specific no negotiating policy, it's always up for discussion.  Their below invoice, lowest we can go claim is a sales technique.  Bet the buyer paid less than they asked.  

• Like 1
On 10/30/2018 at 4:48 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Sales technique.  Unless the dealership has specific no negotiating policy, it's always up for discussion.  Their below invoice, lowest we can go claim is a sales technique.  Bet the buyer paid less than they asked.  

True.  But I probably would not wring the sponge much more dry at that price was my impression.  And my impression was correct that they would attract a buyer with the advertised price they had.