Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you still by a '17 leftover

Brantb

I am looking into getting a new boat and i am still seeing some leftover 17s. I am coming from a 17 A20 so as far as newer year it would be a wash, but i figure stepping up from an axis to a malibu will make up for that. I am considering the 21 vlx, so im not sure how much the price would move on one of those being leftover. Considering that the 2019s are out, PW3, new vinyl, new seat, new colors would you even consider a leftover 17?

There is also a '17 23 LSV with the 575 and i would guess had a sticker of 150-160k which would be awesome, but is has colors i would not pick if i was ordering. Would really have to convince the lady for this one.

Thoughts?

ahopkins22LSV

I just took delivery of a 2019 because it worked for us budget wise but if it didn’t I would be in a 2017 because we demo’d one and it performed awesome too. The new things for 2019 are nice but there will be more new things in 2020, 2021, 2022, etc...

3 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I saw this leftover 17 25 LSV for 109,995 for comparisons sake.  You should be able to get a sweet deal on a 23 LSV.

https://www.munsonski.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=4650537&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xNewInventory

This one might not include trailer...but I would not hesitate to take a 17. 

Now I would be concerned about a 16 that has sat for a long time, it may have some 'lot rot'.  

On 8/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, Hemmy said:

I saw this leftover 17 25 LSV for 109,995 for comparisons sake.  You should be able to get a sweet deal on a 23 LSV.

https://www.munsonski.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=4650537&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xNewInventory

I think you sold it for them.  I would ask for a commission.  It looked like a really nice find.  I wonder if it included the trailer.  

This is a price and do you like the boat question...nothing more. It's a new boat with a new boat warranty.  Is the price difference between a new '17 and a new '19 worth it.

These boats didn't sell for a reason...

I called a dealer on a 2017 22vlx and they still wanted 95k. It’s about to be 2019 and they are going to have a 2 year old boat plus a brand new model for 2019. 

1 hour ago, liquidrider said:

I called a dealer on a 2017 22vlx and they still wanted 95k. It’s about to be 2019 and they are going to have a 2 year old boat plus a brand new model for 2019. 

On these things I have never quite understood where the dealership is coming from.  My theory is that they don't just throw out their bottom line to some guy on the phone, because 90% of callers aren't serious and they never know when they have the guy on the line who would actually make the drive.  And someone in that 90% might jabber about the price on the internet so that they have to go straight to their bottom line with the next guy, who will then shoot for another 15% from that.  

I'd probably pass on a 23 LSV with the 575.  It would be a beast, but you'd being paying quite a bit for the motor upgrade and never see that later on your own resale.  Unless, you happen to be waay up in elevation.  Plenty of folks pushing weight in the LSV without the 575.  

But, as to the original question, sure, I'd take a holdover 17 or 18.   But, make sure you like the purchase.   Are you going to always regret that it isn't exactly the color you want?  Missing an option you really want?   Just ask yourself if saving xx off a new makes those thoughts go away each time they come up.  

I bought a 17 VLX early in the 18 season from my local dealer.  I have often asked myself the same question in upgrading for more boat if the price is right.  I was never "wowed" by any quotes on price and decided no as the dealer was never "local" and the servicing / warranty could get muddy.

Not sure where you are, but here is one too.  

https://www.buckeyesportscenter.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3620514&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&year=2017&fr=xNewInventory

16 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I bought a 17 VLX early in the 18 season from my local dealer.  I have often asked myself the same question in upgrading for more boat if the price is right.  I was never "wowed" by any quotes on price and decided no as the dealer was never "local" and the servicing / warranty could get muddy.

Not sure where you are, but here is one too.  

https://www.buckeyesportscenter.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3620514&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&year=2017&fr=xNewInventory

This is 5 seconds from me. Let me know if you want me to take a look see :)  Great dealer !

Steve B.

1 hour ago, DockRocketeer said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again....HUGE fan of the 21 VLX

Yea, really like my VLX.  Heck of a wave for a 21' boat.  The crew gets a bit big and we could use some more space at times.

I am still looking at different options. Have a trade in offer for the current boat but it also is for sale so no movement yet.

I like the 21 VLX, but i dont think the 80k price is reasonable anymore. On the other hand i am seeing some nice 18 23 LSVs coming up for sale for ~100k and seeing that i am enjoying surfing the most now i may go that route.

I am still going out during the weekends and enjoying the current boat so i am really not in a hurry

Where are you located? Reason I ask is if you're serious about 23 LSV's, which will have a lot bigger surf wave, I might know a 2017 and a 2018, both really clean that could be available. Neither are on the market but could be since they have the upgrade itch. 

You'll also find regional pricing differences, so be willing to look outside your area if you go with a lightly used 23 LSV. If I believe all the free advice I got from Texas the last couple weeks while selling my boat, they sell new and fully loaded 23 LSVs down there for way less than I was asking.

1 hour ago, Brantb said:

I like the 21 VLX, but i dont think the 80k price is reasonable anymore. On the other hand i am seeing some nice 18 23 LSVs coming up for sale for ~100k and seeing that i am enjoying surfing the most now i may go that route.

Best deal I have seen on a new 21 VLX(2017).  It is cheaper than most used ones for sale.  If I was in the market for that size boat, that is a screaming deal.  Just need to be around New York to make it worth it though.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2017-Malibu-Wakesetter-21-VLX-for-sale-Gansevoort-New-York-60416.aspx

Edited by D_Turner

Im in CO, so there is no way i would go to the east coast. I would say i am willing to go 15 hours, so just about anything west of the mississippi. If/when i end up selling things will get a lot more serious. If i could somehow get an amazing deal and not lose too much i would trade. I am a good negotiator, but i dont think good enough for that. @NWBU, i will have to do some searching in texas. Finding the perfect boat is part of the fun.

38 minutes ago, Brantb said:

Im in CO, so there is no way i would go to the east coast. I would say i am willing to go 15 hours, so just about anything west of the mississippi. If/when i end up selling things will get a lot more serious. If i could somehow get an amazing deal and not lose too much i would trade. I am a good negotiator, but i dont think good enough for that. @NWBU, i will have to do some searching in texas. Finding the perfect boat is part of the fun.

Check out this leftover down here in Big D... this boat is gorgeous in person! I’m surprised it’s still sitting here...

https://www.waterskiamerica.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=5523988&p=2&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

00D3A4AB-DAC5-47BF-826C-B614343ABDFD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...