Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

monster tower

OnlyInboards

have any of you installed the monster tower yourself? I'm considering one and from what I read, it's simple.. at least it says so on their site. But does anyone else know, or have you actually installed one yourself on the boat? If so, was it as simple as they say and have you had any problems with it. The price seems very good compared to others but you know the saying.. you get what you pay for :)

My friend installed a Monster Tower on his Supra last year and said it installed easily. I rode on the boat and the tower was very nice. No rattles or shakes.

I put one on mine. It was easy. But I do everything myself. There's not a lot of different places on the boat where you can put it, but what I did was take the rear hoop and put the feet in a location so the tower layed where I wanted it in the down position. Then I put the front arms on and put the front feet so that the tower had a rake angle that I liked the looks of. The rest is drilling holes and tightening bolts.

I keep my boat garaged so the tower goes up and down every time I use the boat. The only thing I've had to do is keep the bolts tightened up. The constant up/down and swinging the front arms seems to want to loosen them up. When all the bolts are tight, the tower is solid. If you let the bolts get loose, then it can move around a little on you.

The Titan may have a slightly better design because it has fewer bolts and you can't overlook the fact that the more bolts there are the more opportunities for something to come loose. But I chose the Monster for two reasons - I think it looks better than the Titan and I knew for sure it would fit under a 7' garage door while the Titan was questionable with my boat on my trailer.

I'll second vette-ski's comment on having to keep the bolts tightened. That's pretty much become part of my pre-launch routine with my Monster Tower. They loosen up pretty easily, and when they're loose, the tower sways like crazy. When everything's tightened, though, it's solid and quiet.

I've also got their speakers and wakeboard racks, and I'd highly recommend those, for both price and functionality.

Great. I'm not so much a do it yourself'er so that is my concern. I guess I'm just nervous drilling a hole into my boat. No doubt measure twice cut (or drill) once definitely applies during the install

I'll second vette-ski's comment on having to keep the bolts tightened. That's pretty much become part of my pre-launch routine with my Monster Tower. They loosen up pretty easily, and when they're loose, the tower sways like crazy. When everything's tightened, though, it's solid and quiet.

I've also got their speakers and wakeboard racks, and I'd highly recommend those, for both price and functionality.

Jeff, Put a little Loctite on the bolts to keep tightened

I installed one on a friends MC 209. Real easy install but make sure your drill bits are fresh and sharp, and you have extras just in case.

If you get a Monster you'll have to put it all together on the boat before you tighten it up. Be very sure you use the anti seize that is supplied with the kit. It makes a mess, but the stainless nuts & bolts will seize even if you don't tighten them up very tight. I have installed 2 of them (one for me and one for a buddy) and they are a piece of cake. I have a Titan II now, but it came on the boat I have. If I would have had to buy a tower for it I would have chosen the Monster, mainly because of the price, and the racks I already had were for a 2 1/2" diameter. You won't be dissappointed with the Monster.

One hint on drilling fiberglass: Start your bit turning in reverse. It helps minimize cracking of rought edges on the hole.

Get a good UniBit, and it cuts thru like butter. No reverse drilling needed.

Edited by mrothwell

I put mine on earlier this year and love it. The one thing I don't care for is the ski rack. I have it so it tight I am afraid I am going to strip it and if you hit any sort of bumpy water, the ski causes the whole rack twist up and down. Other than I love the tower. I bought one of their bimini tops a few weeks ago and it is sweet as well. Literally takes 5 inutes to install, and pretty cheap by most standards.

I have a Monster ski rack and board rack and both seem to be working just fine for me. Do you have the plastic sleeve in there? I just tightened mine to Monster's torque spec.