Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motorbox insulation retrofit 2010 Response

Chaabo

Hey guys,

I just visited Austin, TX this weekend and went for a nice day out on the lake in my old 2006 Response CB!

I kept in contact with the new owner since he bought my boat back in 2009 and he invited me over when I told him, that I will be in the area for the weekend. We had a blast and I was really amazed how nice and clean the boat still is and totally enjoyed hitting the water with it after almost 10 years.

Ok - here’s the thing though...

I ordered that 2006 with a ton of options, including the factory installed motorbox insulation. My current 2010 Response (same engine) had to be ordered on a budget, and I skipped the insulated motorbox when ordering it. After riding in the 2006 again, I really regret that decision now!

I always thought, my 2010 was kinda loud inside, but wasn’t aware how dramatic the difference really is. I was now able to compare both boats within a couple days riding in them and HAVE to do the insulation retrofit!

Can anybody point me in the right direction, of where to get the right material, how much I’d need and what kind of spray adhesive to use?

I know there’s an old how-to on this site, but most of the old links don’t work anymore.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Chaabo
Various typos

Options to use for sound proofing your dog box can be done with serveral different manufactures and techniques:

1. Dynamat
    1. www.dynamat.com/
  2. Lizard skin
    1. m.lizardskin.com/sound-control-insulation.html
  3. DEI
    1. designengineering.com/products/boom-mat/

I am sure there are others, but these are the ones that I am aware of.

Thanks @CedarLakeSkier!

I saw the WM kit as well, and will probably go that route as it looks exactly like the material Malibu uses. I just have to figure out if I need two kits and what spray adhesive to use. 3M has always been my go-to brand when it comes to stuff like that.

@Chaabo:  I used the 3M 90 spray adhesive to bond my hydroturf to the swim platform I made (carbon fiber), it has worked very well and gets wet every time the boat is in the water.  That or maybe the 3M 77 are good options for a spray adhesive.  You will want to check the can to ensure it works on more porous surface compared to the EVA foam in my application.