Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Garage Doors

MalibuBuzz

I have read on another forum that some people are able to get their 21.6 VLX Wakesetters under a 7' (actually 83" to be exact) garage hight opening by unhitching their trailer and putting on a dropped hitch to back it in the rest of the way....or they are unhitching and hand pushing it the rest of the way in. They claim that this lowers the bow of the boat enough to get the boat in the garage without having to remove the Illusion X tower and it is fitting thru with the tower in the lowered position......have any of you tried this? If so, how successful is this.....what are your thoughts?

I have read on another forum that some people are able to get their 21.6 VLX Wakesetters under a 7' (actually 83" to be exact) garage hight opening by unhitching their trailer and putting on a dropped hitch to back it in the rest of the way....or they are unhitching and hand pushing it the rest of the way in. They claim that this lowers the bow of the boat enough to get the boat in the garage without having to remove the Illusion X tower and it is fitting thru with the tower in the lowered position......have any of you tried this? If so, how successful is this.....what are your thoughts?

Yup, that's what I have to do. Back it near the garage, stop and drop the tower, back it a little more. Then I unhitch, drop the dolly all the way down and push it in. My garage and driveway are level so its no big deal. After the boat gets in the garage I raise it back up so it sits level in storage. Don't forget to drop that dolly again before pushing the boat out.......don't ask me how I know!

Yeah, I can fit an 06 with Illusion X tower by removing the swivel head off the tower and lowering the trailer down all the way and pushing it in. I installed a electronic winch I got from Ebay so I no longer have to push it in, I just winch it in. Takes about 15 minutes now.

Yup, that's what I have to do. Back it near the garage, stop and drop the tower, back it a little more. Then I unhitch, drop the dolly all the way down and push it in. My garage and driveway are level so its no big deal. After the boat gets in the garage I raise it back up so it sits level in storage. Don't forget to drop that dolly again before pushing the boat out.......don't ask me how I know!

And about how many inches opening is your garage (height)....ours is 6'9" on one of our garages and 6'10" on the other.....will this technique work for us to get our VLX in? Also, do you have to remove the tow ball on the tower or can it stay in place?

The trailer will make a difference, be careful making comparisons here. My boat sitting on a regular Extreme (no lowrider option) would probably just barely make it under a 7.5' door, I'm relatively sure that it wouldn't get under a 7' door no matter what I did (well, maybe taking most of the pressure out of the tires would get it, but other than that I don't think so). Good thing we have an 8' door. :)

And about how many inches opening is your garage (height)....ours is 6'9" on one of our garages and 6'10" on the other.....will this technique work for us to get our VLX in? Also, do you have to remove the tow ball on the tower or can it stay in place?

TNWakesetterVLX - every time you post, you use big fonts and loud colors. It makes it very difficult to read. Could you please just use a standard font/color, except when you are highlighting or emphasizing.

The trailer will make a difference, be careful making comparisons here. My boat sitting on a regular Extreme (no lowrider option) would probably just barely make it under a 7.5' door, I'm relatively sure that it wouldn't get under a 7' door no matter what I did (well, maybe taking most of the pressure out of the tires would get it, but other than that I don't think so). Good thing we have an 8' door. :)

Well, I don't think our trailer is a low-rider - it's a boatmate, if that makes any difference....anyway, when we started to back it in with the tower down, we could back in up until the point of where the tower folds down - the arch of the tower on the sides is what put the halt to backing in any further...then we could see that the tower light and rope ball looked like they were up at least as high or higher than the arch of the side of the tower......but that was when it was still on the truck hitch.....didn't try taking it off the hitch and seeing how far it dropped down......the boat is at the dealer right now, but we will have to go and measure it and see what we can do....would be nice to get it in the garage for the winter, then worry about a bigger garage door next spring or summer......

TNWakesetterVLX - every time you post, you use big fonts and loud colors. It makes it very difficult to read. Could you please just use a standard font/color, except when you are highlighting or emphasizing.

Sorry 'bout that......

Guess he wasn't getting the subtle hints... Surprised.gif

I'm a "she", and "she's" tend to use loud colors and bold prints....sorry, didn't know it was so annoying....I will stick to this boring font..... Cry.gif

Guess he wasn't getting the subtle hints... Surprised.gif

I'm a "she", and "she's" tend to use loud colors and bold prints....sorry, didn't know it was so annoying....I will stick to this boring font..... Cry.gif

Don't worry TN, you'll still manage to annoy some even in this font... ;)

we all like to pee in each others' Cheerios here, but it's like siblings fighting. We consider it prep for the real battles out there in the rest of life (just sharpening & toughening each other up).

anyway, glad to have you on the board

-Dubya

Don't worry TN, you'll still manage to annoy some even in this font... ;)

we all like to pee in each others' Cheerios here, but it's like siblings fighting. We consider it prep for the real battles out there in the rest of life (just sharpening & toughening each other up).

anyway, glad to have you on the board

-Dubya

Thanks Dubya....if they don't be nice I won't show 'em how awesomely COOL our new boat is! Biggrin.gif

Hey Middle TN. I'm in Smyrna and will be picking up an 06 VLX on Thursday. Mine will have the Titan III tower on it and I too am determined to get it in my 83" tall garage. I think your Illusion will be easier than my Titan III. All the research I did prior to my purchase leads me to believe you will be able to remove the tow attachment on top of the tower to get yours in. Good luck.

Denny

awesomely COOL Biggrin.gif

been awhile since ive heard that ;)

-krak

LOL....meant it to sound that way....LOL! We honestly have the best look'in one on the lake! Will have to post pics when we get it back home.

I had an o6 I-Ride, and I had to lower the tower, lower the tongue, remove the board racks, and remove the pylon on top of the tower to get it in a 7 ft garage. I had a boatmate tandem trailer, so I don't see how a new vlx will fit in a 7ft. garage without taking the tower off.

I had an o6 I-Ride, and I had to lower the tower, lower the tongue, remove the board racks, and remove the pylon on top of the tower to get it in a 7 ft garage. I had a boatmate tandem trailer, so I don't see how a new vlx will fit in a 7ft. garage without taking the tower off.

It won't....we are re-fitting the garage with a taller door.....

i had a 7' opening and an 05 vlx, would not fit with the illusion down. made the opening 8' and now it fits with the tower down. i looked at the low pro trailer and talked with extreme trailer. they said it would only gain me about an inch of clearence. not much help. my son moved to nashville @ 3 months ago. we visited the place seems like a nice area. have fun and good luck.

Mine will have the Titan III tower on it and I too am determined to get it in my 83" tall garage. I think your Illusion will be easier than my Titan III.

Good luck...Mine just wouldn't fit.. You can see how tight it was here. how tight

Mine will have the Titan III tower on it and I too am determined to get it in my 83" tall garage.

Maybe if you just build up a good head of steam it'll fit right in there... Biggrin.gif

I had the unnerving experience of pulling the ol' illusion tower not once but twice out throught the bottom panel of the garage door. In my excitement to "go", I forgot to fully raise the 10ft. door. That tower really plowed the door... no damage at all to the tower, light etc. To fix the door was another matter... my helpful father in law suggested a drive back through it and maybe that will straighten it out. Apparently he'd had a history of success with that practice. I didn't try it.

My 2000 LSV with Titan I fit in my garge with the tongue swung around and the platform off, and the height just bearly squeezed in.

My 2005 VLX with the blade, no frickin way not even close.