Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom Wake Comparison - Big 3

Woodski

Curious to see any feedback from the Crew on slalom wake comparisons across the Big 3, which include the TXI, CC200 and / or the new one and the Prostar.  As an added bonus, since a Malibu site, comments on how the new TXI compares to the previous models including the LXI, etc. from those that have traded up.

I have noticed not a great deal of commentary on the TXI wakes, at least short line is good enough for Reggie to set a world record.  The CC200 and Prostar got a lot of positive review upon their release with little negative feedback, the new Nautique seems to have a very varied opinion relative to wakes (and appearance).

I have been fortunate enough to ski regularly behind a 200 and feel it has very good wakes, although a decent bump at 28 off, but flat past that.  It took some time to get used to Zero Off behind that boat for both myself and the owner.  The Prostar, at least for me, has nice flat and soft wakes, and the Zero Off pull did not seem as aggressive as the 200.  I have not had the same opportunity to hit the course with a new TXI.

From my perspective, the big 3 all ski very similar.  I do prefer the wake behind the 200, but I'm splitting hairs, because it is such a marginal difference where I mainly ski (28-35' off).  Now I will say that the 18' TXI that I have skied a few times does have a 28' bump that is harder than the others.  It's not as bad as the normal 22' bump, but it is the only boat where I actually really "feel" the 28' bump.  It does pull like a freight train, and I find it less forgiving then others.  What I really don't like about the newer TXI's is that they resonate so bad inside.  They are LOUD, which may be partly a function of so much exposed fiberglass?  The other brands also have a lot of exposed fiberglass too, but they do a much better job of dampening.  When I say that it's loud, I'm not talking about exhaust noise.  It is quiet from the end of the rope, but riding in it is noisy.  The whole thing resonates when you take off, and since the motor box isn't latched down, you get some additional noise from under the doghouse.  Another MAJOR gripe, is that both fuel fills catch the rope????  WTH??  How did that pass the engineering phase??  They stick up about 1/4-3/8".     I do like the ski rack that is available now in the TXI.  It is similar to the Prostar ski rack, but it doesn't clamp(which doesn't really matter).  I have not skied the new SN, but I am blown away by how well thought out it is, especially from the driver's seat.

Edited by Brodie

@Brodie:  I did notice the resonance inside the TXI when I had a chance to ski it, that does seem to be noted by a few people that have been in one, along with the fuel fill issue. 

Looking at the construction, it is apparent with the box section sides an echo chamber exists on the sides of the boat, then add no damping material there and not surprising it is noisy.  Hopefully that will be corrected although given the limited demand of pure 3 event slalom boats there are certainly other more profitable priorities on Malibu's plate.  I wonder how many are actually out in the market, there seems to be very little feedback on the TXI compared to the other top brands.