Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Center ballast tank taking on water at speed - help

Blenderhead

Crew-

When I am cruising around or wake surfing (20+ mph) my center ballast tank takes on water.   Wondering if anyone else has had this experience, and if so..... what was the solution?

I am thinking I may have some lake weed debris in the pump that may be preventing the valve from closing all the way.  When I am docked or at slow speed it does not fill....  Before I started disassembling my ballast pump I wanted to get some collective input.

2018 21 VLX

Any help would be appreciated.

I have this same problem.  I was told it is probably a bad valve that may need to be replaced.  I am going to have mine replaced under my warranty in the off season shortly.

31 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I have this same problem.  I was told it is probably a bad valve that may need to be replaced.  I am going to have mine replaced under my warranty in the off season shortly.

I made sure to have them annotate on my list of items for the off season....  I will prob do the same.  Thanks for the input

There should be info about this in the forum threads.  I had this problem with my 01 SSVLX, not sure about the 06 VLX, but not in my current 11 VTX.  If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the height of, and positioning, of the tubing to the ballast tanks.  I believe I had the tubing all repositioned and that took care of the problem.  Until then, I just turned off the intake valve until I wanted to fill the tank.

I too thought that this was no longer an issue.  Surprised to see this in a newer Malibu.

1 hour ago, obski said:

There should be info about this in the forum threads.  I had this problem with my 01 SSVLX, not sure about the 06 VLX, but not in my current 11 VTX.  If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the height of, and positioning, of the tubing to the ballast tanks.  I believe I had the tubing all repositioned and that took care of the problem.  Until then, I just turned off the intake valve until I wanted to fill the tank.

I too thought that this was no longer an issue.  Surprised to see this in a newer Malibu.

My boat is a 2017 and I have the issue with both rear tanks as well as the center tank. They will fill up quite a bit just cruising around the lake. Sometimes I will show my tanks are anywhere from 25% - 50% full. 

1 minute ago, malibu2004 said:

It's because the pump is below the water line. 

as I look into my hull thru the access it appears that at least 3 pumps are below the water line.....    but only one tank is taking on water

There should be loop of hose with an anit-siphon piece on it under the helm on the driver side. Most common cause for the center tank filling  is this loop has fallen down and gravity can no longer keep the water flow at bay.

• Like 2