Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing low rpm heater fix

Just finished replacing my leaky heater core and figured it would be a good time to install the Y-fitting that has been collecting dust in my garage for 7-8 months. I disconnected the return hose that comes from the heater core to the water pump in order to install the 1/2" brass plug per Heatercraft's instructions, but was unable to remove the barb fitting currently threaded into the pump. There's not much room to get a wrench around the thing, plus the threads look like they received a liberal dose of thread-lock and/or waterproof sealant when installed.

Any tips on how to remove that fitting from those that have done this mod.? Thanks.

Since you don't need the fitting, I wouldn't be shy about getting a pair of pliers or vice-grips on it. Unlikely that taking out the fitting could bugger up the thread in the block, but don't torque on it too hard.