Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Wakesetter LSV - Gauges dead

wideawakeaz

My 2004 wakesetter starts and runs just fine.

blower, horn and bilge all work.

Perfect pass powers up and responds to inputs but the speedometer reads zero even when we're going 20 mph (or so).  Can't tell how fast we're going because the speedo doesn't work.

The other two gauges don't work. Gas, Engine Temperature, battery charge, etc. dead.  Nothing.

How do I troubleshoot?  How do I remove the gauges if they need replacing?

Thanks to tbullard and eagleboy99.

Found one of the fuses. It checks out. Measured 8.8 volts on the input power into the unit. Also checked the perfect pass servo in back. Rotates when power is off, energizes when power is on, like it should. The stepper is brand new.

Controller is a wakeboard pro master module by perfect pass. 

The 8.8V doesnt sound right. Battery voltage measure 12.4V.

Thoughts?

Thanks to tbullard and eagleboy99.

Found one of the fuses. It checks out. Measured 8.8 volts on the input power into the unit. Also checked the perfect pass servo in back. Rotates when power is off, energizes when power is on, like it should. The stepper is brand new.

Controller is a wakeboard pro master module by perfect pass. 

The 8.8V doesnt sound right. Battery voltage measure 12.4V.

Thoughts?

2nd question. The first fuse is 6 inches from the control box.  Wheres the 2nd one?

Thx

8.8v does not sound right.  Have you checked the battery?  assuming it is good, look for a bad ground.  Lots of weird probs arise from that.  The fuses should be on the pink wire to the MDC, but it may be different in different years.  There should definitely be two fuses.

Just another thing on the battery.  My fishfinder was freaking out (no, NOT on the Malibu!) and it turned out to be one bad cell in the battery that was doing weird voltage things.

Thanks, Eagleboy99,

I've confirmed that battery, ignition power, and battery ground is getting to the 24pin connector of the mmdc.

Next, I looked at the power to dashboard gauges and saw little to no voltage between any of the four pins that plug into the gauges. I started by testing voltage with a multimeter to the spare 5 pin connector. Then, I unplugged the multigauge connector and then the RPM/speed gauge connector to see if either of those gauges were pulling down the system.  In all cases, less than 0.1 VDC was measured.

I'm wondering if that implicates the mmdc definitively or whether there's something else to check ahead of sinking $900 into a new mmdc.

Thoughts?

Jerry