Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need anti-freeze?

response LX

My boat will be stored in a heated garage all winter, do I still need to fill everything up with anti-freeze or should I just drain everything? Or is the anti-freeze used for anti corrosion? To further complicate things, i have a shower....

thanks,

Doug

I usually put RV antifreeze in mine just to keep the corrosion down and to keep the water pump seal wet. It's not a must, but not a bad idea.

Plus I know a guy who kept his boat in a heated garage and the heat quit.....He ended up with cracked manifolds.

Edited by Sunset_Bob

Our garage is heated & I never worry about the antifreeze. But....I have regular access to it since it's at my house. I park my car in the garage & go in & out of it every day, so I have the ability to monitor things & make sure that we don't have a problem. I wouldn't feel comfortable with having it stored in such a way somewhere that I couldn't keep an eye on it.

Our garage is heated & I never worry about the antifreeze. But....I have regular access to it since it's at my house. I park my car in the garage & go in & out of it every day, so I have the ability to monitor things & make sure that we don't have a problem. I wouldn't feel comfortable with having it stored in such a way somewhere that I couldn't keep an eye on it.

My situation is the same, my truck is parked in the same garage as the boat, so i'm in & out daily. I guess you just drain all of the water & let her rest until spring?

Honestly, I don't even bother with that. But then again we usually manage to get out at least 1 time per month, just to say that we did. That's one reason that I don't worry about winterizing - I want the boat ready to go if we get a nice day, which we'll usually get at least 1 of each month during the winter. Crazy.gif If that weren't the case then I probably would drop all of the water out of the engine. Truth be told, it's easy enough to drain an engine that I probably ought to start doing that this year.

RLX, if you're going to drain it, including shower, then don't worry about AF. Where are you located, BTW? You can add that info under 'my controls, profile info.'

So do you guys with heated garages ever get away on a long weekend and think "crap, I hope I closed the garage door". My neighbors have gotten many calls from me to check the garage door.

So do you guys with heated garages ever get away on a long weekend and think "crap, I hope I closed the garage door". My neighbors have gotten many calls from me to check the garage door.

It's always closed & locked when we leave for long weekend's. My only fear is my Father in-law breaking in and borrowing my tools when I'm gone....