Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best wake board/surf boat to fit in 9ft slip

el tesoro

Getting back on the water after a 10yr hiatus. My boat house has a 9ft wide door on the boat house. It is was built in 1966. What is the best boarding boat that will fit through a 9ft door?

My budget keeps stretching. It is at $40k right now. 

Priorities are- 

Seat 10

Better than average wake for wake boarding with plumbing for push the button ballast. 

Given I am older now, I think my wake boarding will succumb to surfing. 

Can handle other water sports for kids like tubing and skiing. Some slalom skiing. Not going to be running a course. 

Other questions- is it best practice to just wait till next spring to buy since the season is pretty much over?

Ouch.  That's tough.  You MIGHT get a pre-2015 VLX to fit.  Otherwise, a VTX would be about your best bet, just due to the width.  Don't know if you can find a Surfgate one for that kind of money, that'd be tough, too.

We are loving our ‘07 vtx. We slalom ski, wakeboard, and surf. Paid $40k for it. To get one new enough to have surfgate I think you are looking at $60k+. We put 10 in our boat but almost half of those are kids and they spend most their time in the bow so they are out of the way. 10 adults would be cramped!

Is that width for a boat house on the water? Or something you would back a trailer into. All trailers with guide poles are prolly wider than 9ft. All other boats only are 8ft or 8.5ft wide, if floating into a boat house

Max wakeboat width is 102".  But at a 40k budget, you aren't going to find a lot of them that wide at that point.  The easiest fitting Malibu will be a 96 - 04' VLX, 02 - 04 21 Sunscale LSV or '05 - 08 Vride, as all are on a 93" beam (all of those are the SV23 hull).  In 05, the VLX bumps up to a 98" beam, which is the same as a VTX.  

Simply put, if you want ease of getting the boat in there, get a SV23 hull.

If you are open to other brands the Axis A20, Supra Launch SSV20 and some others would fit.

Another thing to keep in mind are board racks on the tower will add width. When selecting a boat make sure the racks pivot in so you don’t have to remove them. 

Do you have a height restriction? Some towers are easier to collapse than others too. Something to keep in mind. 

It is a boat house on the water. 

Which towers have the swinging board racks? That will certainly help make it easier to get in and out. 

Can you add surf gates to a SV23 hull?

Thanks for the suggestions. 

8 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Max wakeboat width is 102".  But at a 40k budget, you aren't going to find a lot of them that wide at that point.  The easiest fitting Malibu will be a 96 - 04' VLX, 02 - 04 21 Sunscale LSV or '05 - 08 Vride, as all are on a 93" beam (all of those are the SV23 hull).  In 05, the VLX bumps up to a 98" beam, which is the same as a VTX.  

Simply put, if you want ease of getting the boat in there, get a SV23 hull.

So they did not change the hull from '96 to '08 on the SV23 Hull? What does it take to make a good surf wave on the SV23?

48 minutes ago, el tesoro said:

So they did not change the hull from '96 to '08 on the SV23 Hull? What does it take to make a good surf wave on the SV23?

It’s not going to be a monster wave. 

We use 750’s in the back,(get bigger bags even if they don’t fill all the way) stock center and a bow bag. Fixed wedge down, homemade suckgate and extra bags on the floor and walkway if low on people. I’m a big kid and can go rope less... It’s a solid boat and handles well.

6 hours ago, ID AX said:

ICBW but if you have a 9’ wide door and get swivel racks, won’t all the new wake boats fit?  102” beam < 108” door width.  What am I missing?  

Room for imperfection?  I have no idea how the boat gets in and out.  When I was a kid, we had a boathouse with a trailer on railroad tracks and a winch pulled in the boat and let it out.  I can't imagine getting the boat centered to within 3" on each side on a trailer.  Even if the opening is on the water, one would have to launch and dock inside the boat.  Any wind or current will make that really really tough.  

8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I'd look for a 2014 T22 with surfgate.  Should be able to find one in the low 40s during the off season.

Not so sure about that. Mine sold in the mid 50's last year at this time (SP1, no flake, just the essentials)

12 hours ago, el tesoro said:

It was offered in a diamond version for 2001 - 2004 but that's about the only difference.

I run about 3400lbs of ballast in mine. Makes a pretty decent wake for being a small hull. 

18 hours ago, ID AX said:

ICBW but if you have a 9’ wide door and get swivel racks, won’t all the new wake boats fit?  102” beam < 108” door width.  What am I missing?  

I am with you.  I dont see a big deal here.  I would think height may be a bigger restriction.  Not a ton of room if that is what you need but you can physically fit it in.  I figure the building to be wider once through the door.

11 hours ago, 67King said:

Room for imperfection?  I have no idea how the boat gets in and out.  When I was a kid, we had a boathouse with a trailer on railroad tracks and a winch pulled in the boat and let it out.  I can't imagine getting the boat centered to within 3" on each side on a trailer.  Even if the opening is on the water, one would have to launch and dock inside the boat.  Any wind or current will make that really really tough.  

Guides man, just like on the trailer. Im doubting there is that much wiggle room on your trailer now.  I dont think youll have any issues with width if you get swivel racks.

Check your height now.  If you need to put the tower down, Id make sure you find one that goes up and down easy enough as that can be a giant pain depending on the tower.

38 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Guides man, just like on the trailer. Im doubting there is that much wiggle room on your trailer now.  I dont think youll have any issues with width if you get swivel racks.

And the guides are how thick?  And how perfectly straight?

I have more room once i get inside. My boat lift is a cable system which i anticipate having to be replaced. the previous owner never had anything bigger than a bass boat. the poles on the dock at the door  are the issue. Height is somewhere between 9 and 10ft, but once again i have more room inside. 

I had a titan 3 tower on my previous Malibu. It was the easiest tower I have ever had or seen to put up and down. How are the more modern towers? 

The Mastercrafts are not practically collapsible from what I have seen.   

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

It was offered in a diamond version for 2001 - 2004 but that's about the only difference.

I run about 3400lbs of ballast in mine. Makes a pretty decent wake for being a small hull. 

This hull is actually a really good surf hull.  Better than most other boats of this era when you use a suck gate or build your own surfgates. 

2 hours ago, el tesoro said:

I have more room once i get inside. My boat lift is a cable system which i anticipate having to be replaced. the previous owner never had anything bigger than a bass boat. the poles on the dock at the door  are the issue.

Ah, now that's a little different.  If they are like guideposts, then I think you are golden.

BTW....just noticed you are from Atlanta.  Which lake?  I grew up in Griffin, and we had a cabin on Jackson Lake.