Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Direct injection motor available in the 19 LSV?

Sailvi767

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, IXFE said:

Hmmm... I was counting since the engine was released in the Fall of 2013. Either way, probably time to get over it, don’t ya think?

And the lawsuit had nothing to do with any known issues; it was because Malibu cancelled a P.O. 

Regardless, I agree with @Murphy8166; y’all seem like you’re scared of your own shadows. 

All those who say they don’t trust it, are you even in the market?  I suspect not so that’s easy to say. Kinda like me saying “No way I’m buying the new Corvette ZR1; that LT5 engine is just way to new.” 

whatever helps you sleep at night... 

Don’t worry, it’s not like the 2018 raptors are having starter and alternator problems... you know the engine has been out for 5-6 years so all the bugs have been worked out. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Don’t worry, it’s not like the 2018 raptors are having starter and alternator problems... you know the engine has been out for 5-6 years so all the bugs have been worked out. 

Yeah Malibu had the option for a 230 amp alternator in Lou of the cheap version that won’t even handle all the ballast pumps running at once. But opted for the cheap one. Whereas most anyone would have paid the extra money to have a strong enough alternator. But we didn’t even get the option. But I might add you can get it now from your dealer through indmar. Will even keep charged while idling with all pumps running and stereo. 

#dontbecheapontheimportantthings

Edited by spikew919
ahopkins22LSV
27 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Yeah Malibu had the option for a 230 amp alternator in Lou of the cheap version that won’t even handle all the ballast pumps running at once. But opted for the cheap one. Whereas most anyone would have paid the extra money to have a strong enough alternator. But we didn’t even get the option. But I might add you can get it now from your dealer through indmar. Will even keep charged while idling with all pumps running and stereo. 

#dontbecheapontheimportantthings

By malibu you mean Indmar right?

18 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

By malibu you mean Indmar right?

Nope. Indmar offered the bigger alternator to Malibu in 2018 at a higher price point. Malibu waved the idea, is my understanding of it. But you can get it and the retro fit kits for the earlier raptors also. 

ahopkins22LSV
57 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Nope. Indmar offered the bigger alternator to Malibu in 2018 at a higher price point. Malibu waved the idea, is my understanding of it. But you can get it and the retro fit kits for the earlier raptors also. 

OK since you have all of the inside scoop, how much was the price increase? Suppliers play this game all the time blowing the price increase for a change out of the water and OEM's say no a lot. I'm sure Indmar really wanted to give Malibu a good deal too... There are two sides to every story.

ahopkins22LSV
26 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I’ve owned THREE Malibu’s with Raptor engines (410, 450, & 410). Never once have I had one fail to start or have any kind or alternator or voltage issues. And I don’t even use the battery charger because my storage unit doesn’t have an outlet. 

Come to think of it, this is also the third year in a row that I picked up a new Malibu in April and sold it in September without returning to the dealer ONCE. 

Sometimes I read this forum and just scratch my head... 

32 hours on our VTX so far and zero issues. I scratch my head a lot too and have to wonder, is it the boat or the owner?

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I’ve owned THREE Malibu’s with Raptor engines (410, 450, & 410). Never once have I had one fail to start or have any kind or alternator or voltage issues. And I don’t even use the battery charger because my storage unit doesn’t have an outlet. 

Come to think of it, this is also the third year in a row that I picked up a new Malibu in April and sold it in September without returning to the dealer ONCE. 

Sometimes I read this forum and just scratch my head... 

Just now, ahopkinsVTX said:

32 hours on our VTX so far and zero issues. I scratch my head a lot too and have to wonder, is it the boat or the owner?

Got 60 hr on my LSV purchased July 16th. Taken back for complete freeze up of electronics. (had to cycle batteries to restore function)They updated software and replaced Power and Start switches. Cured that. Next trip was to replace starter which made grinding sound at each start from when it was new. That cured too. Now every time boat is turned off, like for rider change, (not powered down) we loose interior speakers, have to power down stereo but not boat, and power back up they return to normal. That will wait till off season to be fixed.

I expected to have a few glitches and after getting them all worked out have confidence this boat will serve me well for years to come.

IXFE typically how many hours you put on your boats before swapping?

54 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

OK since you have all of the inside scoop, how much was the price increase? Suppliers play this game all the time blowing the price increase for a change out of the water and OEM's say no a lot. I'm sure Indmar really wanted to give Malibu a good deal too... There are two sides to every story.

Price increase shouldn’t matter. All they had to do was add it to options. No different than the expensive clamping racks. Or a heater. Then the price goes to consumer. Pretty much a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

Got 60 hr on my LSV purchased July 16th. Taken back for complete freeze up of electronics. (had to cycle batteries to restore function)They updated software and replaced Power and Start switches. Cured that. Next trip was to replace starter which made grinding sound at each start from when it was new. That cured too. Now every time boat is turned off, like for rider change, (not powered down) we loose interior speakers, have to power down stereo but not boat, and power back up they return to normal. That will wait till off season to be fixed.

I expected to have a few glitches and after getting them all worked out have confidence this boat will serve me well for years to come.

IXFE typically how many hours you put on your boats before swapping?

60-70 hours pretty much every year... plenty of time to gauge initial quality.

I was talking to my dealer the other day about this same topic. They are a LARGE volume dealer, and they told me they have replaced exactly ZERO screens this year. 

21 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Price increase shouldn’t matter. All they had to do was add it to options. No different than the expensive clamping racks. Or a heater. Then the price goes to consumer. Pretty much a no brainer. 

If the alternator is such a sticking point for you, why not order it yourself and pay your dealer to install it?  You seem to want to pay for one so badly, how’s this any different than paying for it up front as an option?

There are lots of things we each might wish they did differently in the factory. For some guys it’s the stereo, for others it’s the flooring, and others it’s trailer wheels. Personally, I think Malibu does a really good job of making improvements every year.  Seems to me they’re adding more each year, pushing the envelope more, than any other manufacturer in the industry. But they can’t anticipate everybody’s little pet peeves. That’s where YOU come in. YOU are free to upgrade the boat as YOU see fit after you’ve taken delivery. 

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
32 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Lol sure it does. It is still the same principle if the price gets passed 100% onto the consumer or not. If it’s too high for what it is worth then it’s still too high. And how do you know it would be an option? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me, a hardware change like that seems to me like it would be an all or nothing change since it would be coming from Indmar that way and not added at the malibu factory. And as @IXFE said, upgrade it yourself! It’s three bolts and two wires. 

2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

If the alternator is such a sticking point for you, why not order it yourself and pay your dealer to install it?  You seem to want to pay for one so badly, how’s this any different than paying for it up front as an option?

There are lots of things we each might wish they did differently in the factory. For some guys it’s the stereo, for others it’s the flooring, and others it’s trailer wheels. Personally, I think Malibu does a really good job of making improvements every year.  Seems to me they’re adding more each year, pushing the envelope more, than any other manufacturer in the industry. But they can’t anticipate everybody’s little pet peeves. That’s where YOU come in. YOU are free to upgrade the boat as YOU see fit after you’ve taken delivery. 

Alternator is not a sticking point for me. Mine has already been replaced while they had my boat at factory over summer as they were fixing way more issues than my fingers can handle typing. So I won’t go there. Someone else brought up the alternator. I was just adding there were options that Malibu could have used on the 18’s but did not. That could have easily been added to options. Not everyone’s boats are as perfect as yours appear to be.  We love the surf wave of our M, and yes Malibu does move forward every year. Just wish they would slow down and worry a little more about quality than quantity. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Lol sure it does. It is still the same principle if the price gets passed 100% onto the consumer or not. If it’s too high for what it is worth then it’s still too high. And how do you know it would be an option? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me, a hardware change like that seems to me like it would be an all or nothing change since it would be coming from Indmar that way and not added at the malibu factory. And as @IXFE said, upgrade it yourself! It’s three bolts and two wires. 

Look you brought up the alternator stating  indmar had issues. It’s not the alternator they have issues with. It’s the small alternator vs Malibu’s power draw adding so much stuff. Indmar have them an option for a bigger alternator to supply the amperage needed. That’s all I was getting at.  

Geez you and @IXFE need to get a room or something. 

1 minute ago, spikew919 said:

Look you brought up the alternator stating  indmar had issues. It’s not the alternator they have issues with. It’s the small alternator vs Malibu’s power draw adding so much stuff. Indmar have them an option for a bigger alternator to supply the amperage needed. That’s all I was getting at.  

Let’s try to keep it to the boats and not your weird fantasies.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

My whole point of my first post was that the raptors has been in the marine world for years and there are still bugs in even their most recent engines in MY18. From what I’ve read elsewhere it sounded like there was more to it then just the draw on the alternator but idk maybe I’m wrong. 

And no... but keep dreaming if it makes you happy. 

11 hours ago, IXFE said:

Hmmm... I was counting since the engine was released in the Fall of 2013. Either way, probably time to get over it, don’t ya think?

And the lawsuit had nothing to do with any known issues; it was because Malibu cancelled a P.O. 

Regardless, I agree with @Murphy8166; y’all seem like you’re scared of your own shadows. 

All those who say they don’t trust it, are you even in the market?  I suspect not so that’s easy to say. Kinda like me saying “No way I’m buying the new Corvette ZR1; that LT5 engine is just way to new.” 

whatever helps you sleep at night... 

I would say those who are buying these boats to keep, vs flipping them every year, have a much more vested interest in making sure the product they purchase for 6 figures is sound.  That may sound like being "scared of our shadows"  but to me it sounds much more like due diligence.  Buying a first year engine by a company not known for engines would be a risk I wouldn't take until I saw what bugs appeared in the first couple years.  Sorry you can't see the same way since you have very little vested in your boats

The PO was canceled due to how many issues the engine had.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, CJAY said:

I would say those who are buying these boats to keep, vs flipping them every year, have a much more vested interest in making sure the product they purchase for 6 figures is sound.  That may sound like being "scared of our shadows"  but to me it sounds much more like due diligence.  Buying a first year engine by a company not known for engines would be a risk I wouldn't take until I saw what bugs appeared in the first couple years.  Sorry you can't see the same way since you have very little vested in your boats

The PO was canceled due to how many issues the engine had.

You don’t think I can determine if an engine has issues in 60 hours of use?  And what makes you think I’d be tolerant of engine issues during the season that I own it?  That would really frustrate me  

Besides, anybody can sell their boat after one season just like I do if it’s not what they hoped for. You could have sold your MP 450 earlier; you chose not to. That’s on you, bud. And most my boats sell to people I know (ie friends and family), so despite what you may believe, I do care about them long term. 

And you must work in procurement dept in Loudon because you seem to have inside info on why they cancel PO’s. 

Just now, IXFE said:

You don’t think I can determine if an engine has issues in 60 hours of use?  And what makes you think I’d be tolerant of engine issues during the season that I own it?  That would really frustrate me  

Besides, anybody can sell their boat after one season just like I do if it’s not what they hoped for. You could have sold your MP 450 earlier; you chose not to. That’s on you, bud. And most my boats sell to people I know (ie friends and family), so despite what you may believe, I do care about them long term. 

And you must work in procurement dept in Loudon because you seem to have inside info on why they cancel PO’s. 

60 hours of use is almost 1/3rd of what we do in a season, and I'm betting we are able to find more issues with our boats due to it.  If you're only worried about 60 hours you're not near as worried as someone who's looking to put 500-1000 hours on their boats about how an engine will perform over the long haul.  60 hours may not even be close to enough to find those issues.  Get off your high horse.  

I'm not your bud....Anybody can you're right, but not everyone wants to.  I prefer to get and keep a boat, hence why I'd rather see how something performs over a longer period of time before buying into it.  I hate the first year breaking in a boat and learning it, I prefer to have it dialed in and most of the bugs worked out, which is usually done by mid second season.  My view of a product is long term, yours is for a short "60 hour" season.  We see these things form two different perspectives, neither right nor wrong, just different.  

I just know what I've been told from reliable sources

We hit 115 hours yesterday on our 18. Had been running great for the most part but for some reason yesterday the rear ballasts wouldn’t turn on to drain. Hard reset on the batteries and finally kicked on but was nervous as only the front two would work. Could it be related to the alternator thing you mention?

6 minutes ago, CJAY said:

60 hours of use is almost 1/3rd of what we do in a season, and I'm betting we are able to find more issues with our boats due to it.  If you're only worried about 60 hours you're not near as worried as someone who's looking to put 500-1000 hours on their boats about how an engine will perform over the long haul.  60 hours may not even be close to enough to find those issues.  Get off your high horse.  

I'm not your bud....Anybody can you're right, but not everyone wants to.  I prefer to get and keep a boat, hence why I'd rather see how something performs over a longer period of time before buying into it.  I hate the first year breaking in a boat and learning it, I prefer to have it dialed in and most of the bugs worked out, which is usually done by mid second season.  My view of a product is long term, yours is for a short "60 hour" season.  We see these things form two different perspectives, neither right nor wrong, just different.  

I just know what I've been told from reliable sources

Wow... 180 hours in a season.  You are so rad!  But... 

In addition to not wearing a proper flotation device (something most would view as more risky than buying a first year motor), it would appear you also don't know how to read.  So I'll say it again...  If I'm moving a boat to a family member or close friend doesn't it stand to reason I'd be interested in long term reliability?  Don't skip over that statement and make assumptions about what I value.  Let it sink in.  IXFE CARES ABOUT THESE BOATS LONG TERM.  

And 60-70 hours is more than enough to judge initial build quality as well as whether or not the boat is going to have a catastrophic issue.  How long did it take you to know you had an issue with your MP450?  It was almost immediate as I recall.  Get off my high horse?  How you get off your soapbox?  You haven't stopped whining about that engine ever since.  Don't you ever get tired of carrying this??    

I view your issue with MP as ONE data point of THOUSANDS.  In other words, statistically irrelevant.  On the other hand I'm going on Malibu #8 and I've had the 350, MP 450, GM 409, Ford 410, and Ford 450.  All have been great performers with zero engine issues.  That MP 450 is with a family I keep tabs on; the boat is going STRONG despite your claims.  I also had the Raptor 410 in it's first year with zero issues, and I suspect I'll have another first year engine this year.  Big deal.   

Some of you guys are so serious and practical I wonder if you're even having fun on the water.  You act like you're buying a tractor or a Honda civic... gotta be practical!!  Lighten up and remember these are TOYS.  Expensive, sure.  But TOYS nonetheless.  I understand you may not go into it with a desire to move it quickly, but nothing is guaranteed even with an proven engine and selling early IS an option if things don't go your way.   

And like I said earlier, who cares if CJAY wouldn't buy the new engine?  You're not in the market for a boat this year, having just bought one.  So what's your point in chiming in at all?  Oh right... to remind us all that you didn't like your MP450.  We get it.  Keep bangin' that drum, pal.   

Just now, IXFE said:

Wow... 180 hours in a season.  You are so rad!  But... 

In addition to not wearing a proper flotation device (something most would view as more risky than buying a first year motor), it would appear you also don't know how to read.  So I'll say it again...  If I'm moving a boat to a family member or close friend doesn't it stand to reason I'd be interested in long term reliability?  Don't skip over that statement and make assumptions about what I value.  Let it sink in.  IXFE CARES ABOUT THESE BOATS LONG TERM.  

And 60-70 hours is more than enough to judge initial build quality as well as whether or not the boat is going to have a catastrophic issue.  How long did it take you to know you had an issue with your MP450?  It was almost immediate as I recall.  Get off my high horse?  How you get off your soapbox?  You haven't stopped whining about that engine ever since.  Don't you ever get tired of carrying this??    

I view your issue with MP as ONE data point of THOUSANDS.  In other words, statistically irrelevant.  On the other hand I'm going on Malibu #8 and I've had the 350, MP 450, GM 409, Ford 410, and Ford 450.  All have been great performers with zero engine issues.  That MP 450 is with a family I keep tabs on; the boat is going STRONG despite your claims.  I also had the Raptor 410 in it's first year with zero issues, and I suspect I'll have another first year engine this year.  Big deal.   

Some of you guys are so serious and practical I wonder if you're even having fun on the water.  You act like you're buying a tractor or a Honda civic... gotta be practical!!  Lighten up and remember these are TOYS.  Expensive, sure.  But TOYS nonetheless.  I understand you may not go into it with a desire to move it quickly, but nothing is guaranteed even with an proven engine and selling early IS an option if things don't go your way.   

And like I said earlier, who cares if CJAY wouldn't buy the new engine?  You're not in the market for a boat this year, having just bought one.  So what's your point in chiming in at all?  Oh right... to remind us all that you didn't like your MP450.  We get it.  Keep bangin' that drum, pal.   

Once again you're more caught up in being right and condescending than actually reading and understanding what is being said.  Your ad hominem attacks just show how weak your own points are and how ego based your whole argument is in the first place.  You can't take anyone disagreeing with you.... 

My point on the amount of hours we put on is that we are more likely to see the issues with our boats, though you see it as something wrong with the owners since you don't have any in your long 60 hours.  Many issues don't pop up until around the 100 hour mark, hence the detailed 100 hour service.  My MP 450 had issues right around 20 hours, but most of my issues with boats have been at much much higher hours.  I've had the 350, MP 450, ls3 450, and now the 575.  Only the MP had major issues, and those issues were actually fairly wide spread through out the lineup, doesn't mean they all had issues, but many did.  It wasn't a good engine, hence why malibu dropped it.

Also, even though you " care about your sold boats" it's not the same as when you plan on keeping a boat long term.  There is nothing wrong with someone being weary of a first year production engine, I'm not sure why it bothers you so much that they would be 

I'm glad you are here to monitor and prohibit the ability of others to voice opinions on this message board....  I guess we should only post opinions about our direct model of boat, surf board, vest, ect ect  I'll be sure to check with you before I post next time...,.

I'm sorry I scared everyone so badly with my vestless surfing, but I'm sure they will all let go of their pearls and get over it, but like you said, I'm just no fun on the water......  I'm sure your raging 60 hours a year make you king of the lake, kind of like you think you're king of the message board...

34 minutes ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

We hit 115 hours yesterday on our 18. Had been running great for the most part but for some reason yesterday the rear ballasts wouldn’t turn on to drain. Hard reset on the batteries and finally kicked on but was nervous as only the front two would work. Could it be related to the alternator thing you mention?

Sometimes I think the computer just gets hung up and a hard reset fixes it.  Unless you see this happening over and over I'd just chalk it up to a one off.