Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Direct injection motor available in the 19 LSV?

Sailvi767

3 hours ago, KJKimball said:

5.3L is the base engine but not many are sold so they use the 6.2 and charge for it.  

This depends on the boat.  On the SN200, the base motor is the 6.0l, the 5.3l is a more expensive option, and the 6.2 is an even more expensive option.    

It might just be me, but I'd be seriously hesitant on buying a boat with a first time engine form a company that hasn't done it before.  Even companies that specialize in engines struggle at times.  I think I'd wait a couple years at least for them to get the bugs out.  This could be a marine power all over again

2 hours ago, CJAY said:

It might just be me, but I'd be seriously hesitant on buying a boat with a first time engine form a company that hasn't done it before.  Even companies that specialize in engines struggle at times.  I think I'd wait a couple years at least for them to get the bugs out.  This could be a marine power all over again

My thoughts exactly, there is no way there aren't going to be some bugs to work out of those Malibu engines the first year or two.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:12 AM, Tims said:

Open a valve and all raw water systems drain out in a couple of minutes. AND, easy access to all strainers and filters. 

You mean like it is on the Raptor? By far the easiest winterization and oil changes I have ever had on any engine.  Stupid easy to change the impeller as well. (The removable bins in back transom definitely contribute to this).

53 minutes ago, Fman said:

You mean like it is on the Raptor? By far the easiest winterization and oil changes I have ever had on any engine.  Stupid easy to change the impeller as well. (The removable bins in back transom definitely contribute to this).

Not really 1st year for the Raptor.  Indmar introduced the Raptor to the market a couple years prior.  There were 1st  installed in Supra boats I believe.   Malibu adopted Raptor motors after they were in the field for a few years.   Agree I would be hesitant to get the 1st year marine motors from Malibu.   Do not see marine engines as a core competency for Malibu.   They have to build the expertise on marine motors.  

Agree I like the Raptor motor in my 23 LSV.  Only the impeller replacement is a b**** on the Supercharged engine....   Blind R&R under the supercharger housing.  Guess that is the price to pay for SC.  I had the dealer R&R.  They were glad to do it but said it was a chore.   

Edited by ORMailbuboater
5 hours ago, CJAY said:

Theyve actually been running and testing these motors for almost 3yrs.

Edited by COOP
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Fman said:

Try getting to the impeller on an M235 with a 575 motor.

Edited by COOP
On 8/31/2018 at 3:32 PM, COOP said:

Theyve actually been running and testing these motors for almost 3yrs.

That’s pretty much what every engine designer does, but many of the bugs aren’t found until they are out in the consumer world for a while.  I’d wait at least 2-3, of real world action,years before I’d even consider this engine as an option

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
18 hours ago, CJAY said:

That’s pretty much what every engine designer does, but many of the bugs aren’t found until they are out in the consumer world for a while.  I’d wait at least 2-3, of real world action,years before I’d even consider this engine as an option

That’s pretty crazy, you barely meet your own criteria with your current boat. 

They have been working hand and hand with GM on this. I would be a little nervous with the first MY but it wouldn’t turn me away from buying a boat. 

One thing Malibu has going for them with "their" engine is that something like 90% of it is as delivered from General Motors.  GM designs, engineers and builds these engines and Malibu will just bolts on a few components, same as Indmar or PCM.

On 8/31/2018 at 12:18 PM, CJAY said:

GM has been doing this for a long, long time.  These marinizers just bolt on accessories and do their own custom tune.  Well, as least most do - there are some Illmor motors in the Mastercrafts that do not fit that criteria.

I bet that Malibu has hired some of the best consultants in the Inboard Marine power game to collaborate on these engines.  I think some of you are really small minded when it comes to the brain power and far reaching industry expertise that Malibu can bring in for big under takings such as marinizing GM Motors.

I would not hesitate to pick up a 19' with one of the new power plants and I would take pleasure in getting back on the forum and telling you how wrong you all were are how great these motors are!

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

I bet that Malibu has hired some of the best consultants in the Inboard Marine power game to collaborate on these engines.  I think some of you are really small minded when it comes to the brain power and far reaching industry expertise that Malibu can bring in for big under takings such as marinizing GM Motors.

I would not hesitate to pick up a 19' with one of the new power plants and I would take pleasure in getting back on the forum and telling you how wrong you all were are how great these motors are!

E188F725-C3EA-4207-962C-5B3BC5DC9B34.gif

I could say that I’m on my third set of trailer bunks on a 2017 Malibu trailer die to staples again,  was that the first or second year of them making their own trailers? But in their defense trailer bunks are way more complex when compared to engines :blush:Js   

At least they shipped another set and glued inner carpet instead of stapling this time. 

Edited by spikew919
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

I wouldn’t call it small minded but generally speaking it takes a couple years for some bugs to get worked out with anything.  Indmar has been around for a long time.  To just say Malibu will crank out a new engine without any issues is far fetched. I don’t think anyone is doubting the quality and longevity of these engines, especially since like others have said it’s 90% GM. Some are just stating they don’t want to take the “risk” for the first model year.  Sure it would be covered under warranty but with the closest dealer 2 hours away Id rather wait a couple years for all the small bugs to get “worked” out they buy the first year.  Summer is too short up here to have to boat at the dealer half the season. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, IXFE said:

Don’t mind @CJAY, guys. He’s obviously still stinging from his experience with his MP 450. What’s it been... five years now??

On the other hand, I had zero issues with my MP 450 and I don’t expect any with my upcoming Malibu engine. 

Four years, but they did get sued over the engine, and only ran it one model year due to its issues

3 hours ago, CJAY said:

Four years, but they did get sued over the engine, and only ran it one model year due to its issues

Hmmm... I was counting since the engine was released in the Fall of 2013. Either way, probably time to get over it, don’t ya think?

And the lawsuit had nothing to do with any known issues; it was because Malibu cancelled a P.O. 

Regardless, I agree with @Murphy8166; y’all seem like you’re scared of your own shadows. 

All those who say they don’t trust it, are you even in the market?  I suspect not so that’s easy to say. Kinda like me saying “No way I’m buying the new Corvette ZR1; that LT5 engine is just way to new.” 

whatever helps you sleep at night... 

• Like 3