Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Direct injection motor available in the 19 LSV?

Sailvi767

3 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

Looks like I will sell my 2017 LSV. I really want the 6.2 Direct injection motor but info is scarce. Will it be available in the 2019 23LSV?

The 25LSV will have it when it launches next month.  From what I hear, they will then phase them into the other boats.  I think if you get something with a later build date, you might be able to get one.  

• Like 2

Direct injection engines offer much more precise control of the fuel metering. You get better fuel economy and power. The 6.2 block in the Nautique puts out 450HP running 87 octane.. The updated Raptor 450 in the Malibu is 396 HP and the base 410 is around 350 running 89.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
8 minutes ago, Cazan said:

This will be a Malibu built engine correct?  Not Indmar?

They have been working on this and testing engines for a year or two now. They have built a very nice new facility and hired very good engineers from the industry. Plus they have been working hand in hand with GM the whole time. GM builds the guts of the engine, malibu is marinizing them. It’s not like they are building the engine from the block up. I wouldn’t worry about it. 

5 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

They have been working on this and testing engines for a year or two now. They have built a very nice new facility and hired very good engineers from the industry. Plus they have been working hand in hand with GM the whole time. GM builds the guts of the engine, malibu is marinizing them. It’s not like they are building the engine from the block up. I wouldn’t worry about it. 

I knew they were using the GM blocks.  I’m not worried about it I was curious if the new Malibu marinized engines were making their way into boats yet. 

ahopkins22LSV
36 minutes ago, Cazan said:

I knew they were using the GM blocks.  I’m not worried about it I was curious if the new Malibu marinized engines were making their way into boats yet. 

Ah, must have read your post wrong. Sorry. I’m not sure if they are or not yet. I do know that I am beyond happy with the PCM Crusader 6.0 in our VTX!

• Like 1

I get it.  And I'm sure the new motors will be fine, but I can't fathom being able to pick up the phone and asking for one of the senior techs at PCM and having him spend 30 minutes on the phone or 30 minutes typing out a response on here like @Engine Nut has done for us over the years.  Having been in the marine industry, you don't know how fortunate we have all been to have access to him like that. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Is there a motorhead that can explain the diff. btw. EFI/DFI/MFPI to us low tech types?  :)

I will not profess to be an expert but what you are asking about is the differences in fuel injection types for an engine.  There can be variations in fuel injection along with trade names which further confuse buyers.   What I think you are referring to above is the location of the fuel injector in relation to the combusion chamber.  

EFI - Just means the engine is fuel injected.  All modern engines are electronically controlled fuel injection.  Several common types of fuel injection locations are port injected, direct injected or throttle body injection.

DFI - Direct injection means the fuel injector is mounted to inject fuel directly into the comsusion chamber (cylinder). 

MPFI - Multi port fuel injection.  Currently Sequential or SPFI on Ford Indmar engines is a type of MPFI.   The fuel injector is mounted just above the intake valve in the intake manifold at the "port" to the combusion chamber.

As mentioned above Direct Injection is more precise than port injection.  Port injection is much more precise that throttle body.  

Hope my brief explaination helps.   Here is an over view article that further explains.  https://www.cars.com/articles/what-are-the-different-types-of-fuel-injection-1420690418419/   

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Idk if direct is better, there is some benefit to mpfi which sprays fuel on the intake valves keeping them cleaner. The latest version of eco boost has both direct and mpfi which just seems overly complex 

Of note, the Chevy DI engines are pushing fuel directly into the cylinder at close to 3,000 PSI, compared to port injection, which is closer to 30-60 PSI.  Supposedly the computer has better control over the fuel/burn and the engine can generate more torque with less fuel.  

I would love a GDI! (or even a TGDI engine?)

Guys - many of the pass cars that you guys are driving today are GDI or TGDI.  All Ecoboots (Ford), Ecotech (GM) & almost European vehicles are now Gasoline Direct Inject.  

My sons VW is direct injection.  It requires 93 fuel and valve maintenance cleanings every 60-70k miles.  They walnut blast the valves because of the carbon build up from the DI not cleaning valves with fuel.

Seems like fuel injection has been working fine for years in boats.  Hopefully the DI engines wont be a maintenance headache and offer long term reliability.

Does anyone know the DI fuel savings compared to fuel injection?

The PCM that was in my G23 was DFI. It worked fine to me. Plenty of power and fuel consumption was more than satisfactory in my opinion. With that said I wouldn't say it was any more impressive than the 3 6.2 raptors I've had. 

• Like 2

2015 MB B23

2016 SA400   5,450lbs

2017 SE450   5,500lbs

no 1:76 or 2:1 trans on any of them either 

Edited by DatTexasBoy

I have owned both G23 from 2015 and 2016.  The first was fuel injected, the second with DI.  

They say it is supposed to be way more fuel efficient and more powerful.   I think that is exaggerated, but I never really keep track of fuel usage other than to fill the tank when it gets low.  I could not tell any major difference.  I don't think the power was any major difference either.  The gear heads say it is the case, but I just don't notice.  

• Like 3

If I was buying a '19 Malibu (don't worry, I'd never buy new), I wouldn't dare put my order in until the DI motor was confirmed for my build.  Better power and fuel economy...plus it will likely impact resale on the vessel.

On 8/26/2018 at 12:31 PM, Bozboat said:

Idk if direct is better, there is some benefit to mpfi which sprays fuel on the intake valves keeping them cleaner. The latest version of eco boost has both direct and mpfi which just seems overly complex 

Somebody above eluded to why there are two injectors one at the port and one direct.  For some reason some direct injection vehicle motors have seen heavy carbon build up in the intake manifold and valves.  To correct this problem many manufacturers are adding 2nd port injector to wash the intake valve clean. 

The carbon build up can lead to major performance drops and potential engine damage due to carbon build up on certain performance engines.  Special disassembly and cleaning is required $$$$  after a period of time to restore performance and drive ability.  Article with pictures explains in more detail.  https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/01/is-carbon-buildup-a-problem-with-direct-injection-engines-.html

Friends of mine both have 18 Ri237s one 450 and one 450 H6 DI. They say they have very similar fuel consumption maybe a tab better on the H6, the H6 just gets to speed a little faster. 

Right now I’m in the debate between the two.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

If I was buying a '19 Malibu (don't worry, I'd never buy new), I wouldn't dare put my order in until the DI motor was confirmed for my build.  Better power and fuel economy...plus it will likely impact resale on the vessel.

Color me an idiot then. All I know is the pcm 6.0 l96 in our vtx is the best performing engine I’ve driven in the Wakesetter lineup in years. It’s paired perfectly with the trans we got and prop right from the factory. It’s also tried and true, damn near bullet proof, and simple to work on. I’m not worried about resale as us on here are a part of the 1% that even have the small glimpse into what will be offered in the future or know the difference between a 2019 6.0 monsoon or a 2020 whatever liter monsoon. It also isn’t new or different as axis has been using this engine for the past few years and the Indmar version before was nearly identical. Fuel consumption? Idk I haven’t run any hard studies but I’ve gone through just under 2 tanks and we’ve put 18 hours on it. After breakin, it’s been all skiing and surfing - mostly surfing. Pretty good if you ask me, also considering it is only a 38 gallon tank which is small for Wakesetters these days. 

• Like 2