Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Worth it to trade from 2017 23 LSV to 2018 23 LSV?

bm11

On 8/25/2018 at 11:57 PM, D_Turner said:

I don't think it is as simple as looking at MSRP only.  Lots of factors.

This.  Why would you compare MSRP to MSRP when neither boat will be purchased at MSRP.  I'd compare purchase price to purchase price...that 25k difference is pretty significant.

• Like 2
On 8/25/2018 at 10:19 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

25K for 136 hrs.  Ouch.

Where is @Pnwrider when you need him, I’m sure he’d jump all over it with those wonderful clamping racks and towers and all the rest of the innovation for that difference 

Edited by granddaddy55
On 8/27/2018 at 1:38 PM, Five Cent Worth said:

Great thread.  Thanks for starting.  We would be looking at moving up from a VLX to 18 LSV.  For room and a few features that we desire. 

Curious, did the dealer approach you?  Or did you approach them?  

He asked earlier in the season if I would be interested in upgrading in the fall if the money were right, and I said "yes."

19 minutes ago, bm11 said:

He asked earlier in the season if I would be interested in upgrading in the fall if the money were right, and I said "yes."

Great, so your answer is... “The money ain’t right. Make it $15k instead of $25k and we’ll talk.”

Point is... you hold all the cards because they approached you, and you already have a boat you love. If he says no to your counter, go home and wax your 2017 and I bet you’ll forget all about the other one. 

EDIT: Clamping racks ARE a game changer!

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, IXFE said:

Great, so your answer is... “The money ain’t right. Make it $15k instead of $25k and we’ll talk.”

Point is... you hold all the cards because they approached you, and you already have a boat you love. If he says no to your counter, go home and wax your 2017 and I bet you’ll forget all about the other one. 

EDIT: Clamping racks ARE a game changer!

Funny, that was my number and the way I left it. My dealer is a good guy, I feel like the deal he gave me is real aggressive and I'm not unhappy with where he came in, just a little too rich to trade after one year is all.

I'm really glad this thread was started. I am looking to upgrade to a new boat this year and am struggling between the years. From what I can read here you guys don't see any real change in the wave from a 16 to an 18. So that leaves just the option list and again from what i read that is a short list "for me anyway". I don't mind the current board racks and not having the seat is not a game changer. I am coming from a 2012 MXZ and considering looking at a LSV and the best price that I see so far is a 16 MXZ at 85k and a 18 LSV at 98K both used, boat but one is still on MSO and the other is a one owner but both boats have the same hours on them. 

@oldstv If you are looking for an upgrade from your 2012 22MXZ, you should look at 2017 or newer - the hull design on that boat changed in 17 and it does have a much better surf wake than 2016 and previous. If you go LSV, 2014 to now the wake is awesome. When the LSV was upgraded in 2018, I don't think the wake changed a ton, you just don't need as much bow weight to get the wake. They also made some cool changes as far as storage, less carpet throughout the boat, better glove box design, better trash can location, etc. Just up to you if it's worth the $ increase from 17 to 18.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, we made the switch. Picked up a 18 LSV with hours in the 70s. I can tell you right now though, we are going to miss the bow in the MXZ but not the wave. The LSV has all the wave I will need for a long time!

If anyone has made a similar boat switch I would like to know if you noticed a big change in fuel burn. Our MXZ had the 350 and the new boat has the 410. From what I noticed yesterday it seemed to burn much more gas.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, oldstv said:

Well, we made the switch. Picked up a 18 LSV with hours in the 70s. I can tell you right now though, we are going to miss the bow in the MXZ but not the wave. The LSV has all the wave I will need for a long time!

If anyone has made a similar boat switch I would like to know if you noticed a big change in fuel burn. Our MXZ had the 350 and the new boat has the 410. From what I noticed yesterday it seemed to burn much more gas.

Congrats! Got any good pics?

Yes, you’ll see an increase in fuel cost to go along with the extra fun. Bigger engine, heavier boat and you’re probably running more ballast now too.

1 hour ago, oldstv said:

Congrats on the new boat. My 2018 22 VLX with the 410 engine (Ford Raptor) burns on average 2-3 gallons per engine hour MORE than my previous 2012 21 VLX with the 350. This is with both boats setup with essentially identical ballast levels, wedge settings, people weight, and similar riding conditions (primarily wakeboarding).

The 2018 has the 2247 prop and the 2012 had the 2315 prop both with similar top speeds and riding RPM when fully ballasted. The Raptor engine is awesome, it of course has more torque everywhere and planes out more easily, but it burns much more gas doing it even when being gentle on the throttle. And it requires 89 octane.

There have been lots of posts on here disparaging the old 350 Monsoon as being outdated and inefficient, but that engine was a workhouse and did quite well on fuel for the amount of weight you could run with a good prop, and it did it on 87 octane. The new bigger and heavier boats certainly needed upgraded engine options, but the 350 was a great engine.

Edited by Brett B

I have nothing bad to say about the 350 engine and agree with you on everything you said about the power/boat weight. The MXZ used a 1235 prop which helped allot, prior to the prop purchase it was a struggle to get the heavy girl up and keep her up.

We went out with only two people and the wave with only one person in the boat "other on the board" was mind blowing to me. I will pay the extra gas to have a wave like this!!