R0909

Ceramic Pro Coatings - Are They Worth IT?

gdmatson
3 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I have a hard time getting holograms and swirls out during the finish process with just a rotary.  I think if I had my choice for just one it would be the Mille (gear driven orbital like the Flex) but having options is sure nice.  

I have the new cordless flex and love it! Easily removed the holograms. A little heavy after 2 days though 

Edited by gdmatson
Added to it

boardjnky4

yeah I don't see the value in the cordless. It's heavy and if you're working in your driveway then there really isn't any need.

gdmatson
14 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

yeah I don't see the value in the cordless. It's heavy and if you're working in your driveway then there really isn't any need.

Bought it before going to ceramic coating to use on the hoist for the bottom of the boat. It is heavier but not by much. Just can’t get to the bottom on the trailer as well and was not going 120v standing in water. My hair doesn’t do the spiked look well. LOL

boardjnky4
6 hours ago, gdmatson said:

Bought it before going to ceramic coating to use on the hoist for the bottom of the boat. It is heavier but not by much. Just can’t get to the bottom on the trailer as well and was not going 120v standing in water. My hair doesn’t do the spiked look well. LOL

HAHA 

ibelonginprison
On 1/11/2019 at 12:25 PM, jjackkrash said:

I have a hard time getting holograms and swirls out during the finish process with just a rotary.  I think if I had my choice for just one it would be the Mille (gear driven orbital like the Flex) but having options is sure nice.  

Yeah, that's why I love my Flex. It doesn't take any effort or thought. I just slap a less aggressive pad on there, 2500 or 3500 polish, do a couple quick passes, and it's done. Crystal clear. 

longlake

I would like to ceramic coat my boat come spring.  What brands or companies have people been using for the DIY stuff?  I have been doing some searching and I have only found a handful of places on the web that advertise for ceramic coats specific to marine applications,  not sure if they are truly any different than the automotive stuff?  So far I have found Liquid Crystal, Glidecoat, Boat Jelly, & Clearkote all selling ceramics advertised for marine applications.  The Boat Jelly stuff appears to be the most cost effective from what I can tell.

goodmatt78

I looked into all kinds of sealants and coatings last year for my white bottomed VLX.  I keep mine on a lift and don't wipe down after every use like most trailered boats.  2 summers ago, I got sick of the cleaning the "Brown" off the bottom and sides....it never got bad, but I am anal and used Worx and Peroxide as a spray and rinse quite often.  This was after I used Collinite on the entire hull....so obviously, I was looking for a better solution.

All in all, I never pulled the trigger on a special sealant and last spring I pulled out an old bottle of Nufinish and did the bottom.   Never once last year, did I have to clean the bottom....it lasted all summer.  Quick and easy....but probably doesn't give the shine of other products....but for underwater protection, I haven't found anything better.

Slurpee
1 hour ago, longlake said:

I would like to ceramic coat my boat come spring.  What brands or companies have people been using for the DIY stuff?  I have been doing some searching and I have only found a handful of places on the web that advertise for ceramic coats specific to marine applications,  not sure if they are truly any different than the automotive stuff?  So far I have found Liquid Crystal, Glidecoat, Boat Jelly, & Clearkote all selling ceramics advertised for marine applications.  The Boat Jelly stuff appears to be the most cost effective from what I can tell.

You can add Marine Nano Shop to that list.  I did all the outside and hull of the boat last summer.  As others have said.  Applying any kind of sealant or ceramic isn't bad.  It's the significant amount of prep you put into the surface to get it smooth and clean and ready to accept the coatings.  Anyways, I like it so far, but it's not even been a year yet and obviously I'm not using the boat a lot over the winter.  It'll be nice to see this thread throughout the coming summer.

Dfowkes

On a new boat how much prep work would you need?  Would you need to use clay or something else to remove any wax that may have been applied? 

inlandlaker
7 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

On a new boat how much prep work would you need?  Would you need to use clay or something else to remove any wax that may have been applied? 

Searching on youtube, I found several videos that explain the process.  None of those that I watched showed clay.  All showed cleaning and polishing prior to application of the coating.  On a new boat, I'm not sure you'd need to do much other than a quick polish prior but ICBW.  I'm interested in this as well for both of my boats, which have black hulls.  On the '17, I think it's going to be easier than the '06 due to much less correction needed prior to application of the coating.  FWIW, all the videos I saw were of hulls needed correction prior to the application of the ceramic coating.  This season however, I think I'm going to use the @ibelonginprison recipe that he's had great success with.  Considering both of my boats live on a hoist, I think it's the best, most cost effective option for me.  I'm not yet 100% on my decision though.

longlake
34 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

You can add Marine Nano Shop to that list.  I did all the outside and hull of the boat last summer.  As others have said.  Applying any kind of sealant or ceramic isn't bad.  It's the significant amount of prep you put into the surface to get it smooth and clean and ready to accept the coatings.  Anyways, I like it so far, but it's not even been a year yet and obviously I'm not using the boat a lot over the winter.  It'll be nice to see this thread throughout the coming summer.

My 2017 T23 was new last year.  At the end of the year we got hit by a tornado while the boat was on the lift.  The boat didn’t capsize but it did sustain a lot of gelcoat damage while the lift blew over and was totaled out.  It’s in the shop now and they had to completely buff out the boat to find all of the scratches in order to fix them.  I’ll need to take a look at it when I pick it up but I am hopeful I wont need to do much buffing or prep work before I apply the ceramic coat.  Figured it would be a good time to apply a ceramic coat. 

The Liquid Crystal is from the Marine Nano shop, thanks for the reply on that.  How many bottles did it take for your boat?

Slurpee

@longlake, I think above I said about 3 for two coats on the whole boat. And I have about half a bottle left over. 

gdmatson
9 hours ago, Slurpee said:

@longlake, I think above I said about 3 for two coats on the whole boat. And I have about half a bottle left over. 

As stated earlier, I also used Marine Nano Shop. The owner was helpful for supplies, but do your research for prep. You still have a significant amount of prep even on a new boat. It took me 2 12 hours days of prep. I used all of 2 bottles.