Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Conflicted: New 2018 VLX good buy?

09VTXBLACK

Hey guys I just sold my 2009 VTX because I couldn’t mod it enough to surf well. Now I am ready to buy brand new so I was at my local dealer and they have a brand new 2018 Malibu 22 VLX. I really like the boat and I believe with plug and play sacks it will have me surfing great. Only issue I have now is that Malibu is discontinuing the VLX and 2018 is last model year. They are now switching to the LSV. My concern is buying the last model year of the boat for potential reselling later. So my question is are my fears rational? And would I just be better off spending a bit more for the 2019 22 LSV even though it’s a bit more than I want to spend? Thanks a lot

Nope!  A buddy bought a prior year MC surf boat; the newer ones are tens of thousands more and he could sell his for at least what he paid.  Plus yours would be tried and true.  Like Dad used to say : "Never buy the first model year of anything!"  And as long as the boat works for you, who cares??

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 09VTXBLACK said:

......Malibu is discontinuing the VLX and 2018 is last model year. They are now switching to the LSV.......

It is the same boat wiht a new name.  Yes, they did make some changes for 2019, but the 22VLX has always basically been an LSV.  They just changed the name to be more consistent from a marketing perspective since introducing the "value" 21VLX (which IS a different boat) a couple of years ago.  The "old" 22VLX was a 1' shorter LSV without the armrests on the front seat.  Just like they are now.  Same beam, same hull options, similar weight (obviously the extra length will weigh a little more).  If the "old" one is a good boat for you, I'd get it.

Edited by 67King
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, 67King said:

It is the same boat wiht a new name.  Yes, they did make some changes for 2019, but the 22VLX has always basically been an LSV.  They just changed the name to be more consistent from a marketing perspective since introducing the "value" 21VLX (which IS a different boat) a couple of years ago.  The "old" 22VLX was a 1' shorter LSV without the armrests on the front seat.  Just like they are now.  Same beam, same hull options, similar weight (obviously the extra length will weigh a little more).  If the "old" one is a good boat for you, I'd get it.

:plus1:

As long as the colors aren’t lime green, pink and purple resale shouldn’t be a problem. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

:plus1:

As long as the colors aren’t lime green, pink and purple resale shouldn’t be a problem. 

That's funny - the three most popular new boat colours up here seem to be lime green, purple and pink.  You'd think Don Johnson was doing the gel coat.  :)

15 hours ago, 67King said:

Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it! Here is the boat I am looking at. I am thinking I will possibly pick it up next week and add two 550 plug and play bags in rear lockers. That should get me surfing without the rope.

https://www.parkermarine.ca/boat/malibu-wakesetter-22-vlx-2018

13 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

I bought a 2013 23 LSV brand new. In 2014 they did a redesign to that boat and people said “I feel bad for anyone who bought a 2013”. In 2015 it got a new dash and a bunch of upgrades like power wedge 2 and in 2018 the 23 LSV got another full redesign. I sold my 2013 this spring, now 3 models old, for $1,500 less than I paid for it new.  What did I replace it with? A 2016 22VLX (new boat, dealer demo) knowing full well that boat was getting a makeover this year. I got a good deal and am not worried a bit about the new model dragging my value down.

Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it! Here is the boat I am looking at. I am thinking I will possibly pick it up next week and add two 550 plug and play bags in rear lockers. That should get me surfing without the rope.

https://www.parkermarine.ca/boat/malibu-wakesetter-22-vlx-2018

• Like 3

This is another option I am looking at: http://www.performancewatersports.com/boats/boat/2018-malibu-wakesetter-23lsv-3/

Any input as to buying the LSV over the VLX? It is 1 foot longer which I like. My storage is only 25 feet deep though so with swim grid down and trailer hitch tongue folded it should clear 25 feet?

Edited by 09VTXBLACK
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, 09VTXBLACK said:

This is another option I am looking at: http://www.performancewatersports.com/boats/boat/2018-malibu-wakesetter-23lsv-3/

Any input as to buying the LSV over the VLX? It is 1 foot longer which I like. My storage is only 25 feet deep though so with swim grid down and trailer hitch tongue folded it should clear 25 feet?

That 23LSV is a really nice boat and fully loaded.  I have the same boat with the same engine and it’s a beast!  If you can swing the 23, and it fits in your storage,  I’d go for it 100x over the 22 VLX. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SCMike said:

That 23LSV is a really nice boat and fully loaded.  I have the same boat with the same engine and it’s a beast!  If you can swing the 23, and it fits in your storage,  I’d go for it 100x over the 22 VLX. 

Thank you for feedback on that. Only issue right now is I am in Canada and exchange rate is just brutal right now. Nice thing with 2018s is still no tariffs. Starting on 2019 models Canada is hitting all American made boats with 10% tariff so I want to grab a 2018 before that happens but the LSV with exchange I am assuming will be around $160,000.00 where the VLX price is $129,000.00. I would assume both boats would hold there value very similar? Also @SCMike where do you store your 23LSV? You think 25 feet is enough length with trailer and boat with swim grid off?

Edited by 09VTXBLACK

I think I would want an actual physical mesurment, you will have inches to spare.  If it fits you cannot go wrong with a 23.  Stinks on the exchange rate though.

8 hours ago, 09VTXBLACK said:

Thank you for feedback on that. Only issue right now is I am in Canada and exchange rate is just brutal right now. Nice thing with 2018s is still no tariffs. Starting on 2019 models Canada is hitting all American made boats with 10% tariff so I want to grab a 2018 before that happens but the LSV with exchange I am assuming will be around $160,000.00 where the VLX price is $129,000.00. I would assume both boats would hold there value very similar? Also @SCMike where do you store your 23LSV? You think 25 feet is enough length with trailer and boat with swim grid off?

I don't want to get all political, but isn't that like shooting yourself in the foot?  Are there many boat manufacturers in Canada, especially inboard towboats?  

If I were boss, and I thought a trade war made any sense at all (which I don't), then I would only put tariffs on things that are made in both countries, so that my country's products got the edge in price.  

I think if the model were completely discontinued, it would be a good question.  In this case, it is really just the same boat, being renamed.  

11 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I don't want to get all political, but isn't that like shooting yourself in the foot?  Are there many boat manufacturers in Canada, especially inboard towboats?  

If I were boss, and I thought a trade war made any sense at all (which I don't), then I would only put tariffs on things that are made in both countries, so that my country's products got the edge in price.  

I think if the model were completely discontinued, it would be a good question.  In this case, it is really just the same boat, being renamed.  

Yes I agree, Justin Trudeau is trying to look tough perhaps but Canada really manufactures zero boats so why this tariff is in place does not make sense. And many boat dealers in Canada are very concerned how this new tariff will effect their bottom line. 

9 hours ago, 09VTXBLACK said:

Also @SCMike where do you store your 23LSV? You think 25 feet is enough length with trailer and boat with swim grid off?

Probably not going to happen.  Even with the platform off, you still have the wedge, surfgates and surf pipe hanging out the back.  You can put the wedge down and SGs into service mode but still have the surf pipe sticking out.  This is one of the main reasons we are downsizing to a 22' or less boat.  Our garage is exactly 25' deep and I've measured our lsv 10 ways to sunday. 

9 hours ago, 09VTXBLACK said:

$30k difference is big, only you can make the decision if you can make it work for you.

re: the Storage.  I actually store my boat in an indoor storage facility here in CA so size doesn’t matter for me.  If you are seriously considering the 23 LSV you should have your dealer bring one to you so you can test fit.  That way you can be 100% sure or not if it will work.  What does your dealer tell you the measurements are?

2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

AFAIK the only inboard towboat made in Canada is the Campion SV3 (formerly Svara for those of you  who have been around a while.  Rob Shirley of MC was involved in it; Campion bought the carcass).  https://campionboats.com/boats/sv3/  You see one or two every now and then.

As for a trade war with the US, well, it is a bit like wrestling a pig; you both get sweaty and dirty and after a while, you realize the pig likes it.  :)

2 hours ago, 09VTXBLACK said:

Yes I agree, Justin Trudeau is trying to look tough perhaps but Canada really manufactures zero boats so why this tariff is in place does not make sense. And many boat dealers in Canada are very concerned how this new tariff will effect their bottom line. 

Yeah, I am sure Justine has a pantsuit (inside joke for Canadians aware of his disastrous trip to India!) that he thinks make him look tough.  Bigger issue for boat dealers is the exchange rate and Canada's increasing credit costs.  And the exchange rate is not going to get better anytime soon; likely (pardon the pun) heading even further south.  Boat loans  would START at 4.5% (HELOC) and more likely 7-9%.  Imagine the payments on $160K when you can use it generally 3-4 months of the year.  You gotta be a baller.

And actually, there are LOTS of boats made in Canada - mostly runabouts and fishing boats though.  With the lower Loonie, boat mfgs. here are in the catbird seat so retaliatory tariffs by the US make sense to protect US mfgs.  That is, if you believe in tariffs and protectionism - I do not.

Side question here. Are the tariffs not coming into affect until 2019 boats or does it just happen to be that your dealer got them earlier? I’m hearing multiple things from different people. 

37 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Side question here. Are the tariffs not coming into affect until 2019 boats or does it just happen to be that your dealer got them earlier? I’m hearing multiple things from different people. 

Tariffs are on the 2019 boats. 2018 boats are safe which is why I am looking at 2018 versions. 

Hey Cole where you at on Vancouver Island? I spend most my time on Sproat Lake