Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

American flooring budget mat install

Fman

Sorry for the sore neck.  Not sure why the pic rotated coming off my phone.   Ill see if I can fix later

edit>>>> YAY, Fixed...  Have no clue why it did that

Edited by JeffC

A quick update on the first usage of the new floor mat...

Overall, we are very pleased - I would rate it as an A- on the function of the product, ease of the project, and our first usage.

• The project was easy if you have the current carpet as a template.   Unlike many others here, I did put the snaps on, and due to the size of the 22VLX, piece as it is installed,  I think it was necessary.   I used a 12x4 piece (About $250), and snaps we found at our local ace hardware.   Before the mat was snapped in, it would move noticeably as we moved around on it.    The snaps stopped that slippage.   I was able to cut the straight lines VERY easily with a utility knife, with the mat laying on top of an old board.   I used a pair of heavy duty fabric shears (what you would use for multiple layers, or leather) to cut the curves.   As others have noted, the small piece behind the captains chair had to be seamed.   We just sewed it in using dental floss, it lays down just fine, and since that piece does not get any real lateral stress, I think it will be fine.  We will see.      
  • Its clear that this stuff will be awesome for clean up.    It does not hold water like the carpet fibers do, and dirt should drop right through it.   These two reasons are the driver for why I did the project, as I dont have enclosed storage (only covered offsite).   Too many times I was forced to cover the boat when it wasn't COMPLETELY dried out which predictably resulted in the funk smell when I would get it out again, which I HATED.
  • It does have two distinctly different feels to it - when it is cold (50 degrees, in the shade), the loops are pretty stiff.   It felt fine on my feet, but kneeling on it to pull the center plug was marginally uncomfortable on bare knees.   When it warmed up (70's, or under any sunlight) it softened up a LOT, and felt great... the thickness of it gives it some padding too.   When parked in a cove, and with the sun beating down on it, it does get pretty hot, but so did the carpet.   Any breeze at all cooled it to comfortable levels, or Im sure a splash of water would do the same.
  • Ill see it this holds up long term, but it seemed like it was less prone to holding dog hair than the carpet did. 

The A- was ONLY reduced by the discomfort on bare knees when cold.   Otherwise, I cant think of anything I would want that it doesnt do.

• Like 3

Looks great! I did this same project in a 22 VLX last winter and we have LOVED it. Carpet in a boat is such a horrible idea. Like you I added snaps because I didn’t want to remove them from the fiberglass floor and I noticed movement in the mat as well just while working on it...sounds like that ended up being the right choice.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

Anyone put this over their existing carpet instead of a carpet saver?

It might help for looks but that’s about it. You’d want to pull the mat out after each time you go out because your carpet will still get wet and that mat will trap the moisture in.

• Like 1
On 5/18/2020 at 9:46 AM, JeffC said:

A quick update on the first usage of the new floor mat...

Overall, we are very pleased - I would rate it as an A- on the function of the product, ease of the project, and our first usage.

• The project was easy if you have the current carpet as a template.   Unlike many others here, I did put the snaps on, and due to the size of the 22VLX, piece as it is installed,  I think it was necessary.   I used a 12x4 piece (About $250), and snaps we found at our local ace hardware.   Before the mat was snapped in, it would move noticeably as we moved around on it.    The snaps stopped that slippage.   I was able to cut the straight lines VERY easily with a utility knife, with the mat laying on top of an old board.   I used a pair of heavy duty fabric shears (what you would use for multiple layers, or leather) to cut the curves.   As others have noted, the small piece behind the captains chair had to be seamed.   We just sewed it in using dental floss, it lays down just fine, and since that piece does not get any real lateral stress, I think it will be fine.  We will see.      
  • Its clear that this stuff will be awesome for clean up.    It does not hold water like the carpet fibers do, and dirt should drop right through it.   These two reasons are the driver for why I did the project, as I dont have enclosed storage (only covered offsite).   Too many times I was forced to cover the boat when it wasn't COMPLETELY dried out which predictably resulted in the funk smell when I would get it out again, which I HATED.
  • It does have two distinctly different feels to it - when it is cold (50 degrees, in the shade), the loops are pretty stiff.   It felt fine on my feet, but kneeling on it to pull the center plug was marginally uncomfortable on bare knees.   When it warmed up (70's, or under any sunlight) it softened up a LOT, and felt great... the thickness of it gives it some padding too.   When parked in a cove, and with the sun beating down on it, it does get pretty hot, but so did the carpet.   Any breeze at all cooled it to comfortable levels, or Im sure a splash of water would do the same.
  • Ill see it this holds up long term, but it seemed like it was less prone to holding dog hair than the carpet did. 

The A- was ONLY reduced by the discomfort on bare knees when cold.   Otherwise, I cant think of anything I would want that it doesnt do.

Looks great!   How did you connect the snaps? 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, MAXPOWERS1207 said:

Looks great!   How did you connect the snaps? 

Thanks!   We continue to happy with it, will be out again this weekend, and will see even warmer weather, so the "how hot will it get" will be getting more data points.   

I bought snap kits from Ace Hardware, and just used the female sides.   The kit comes with a tool for attaching it, all you need is a hammer.   We just laid out the old carpet on top of the new mat, marked the snap positions, and hammered away.    I took the small carpet piece into ace with me to ensure that I had the right size snaps... 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Im a late bloomer, sorry! On the site for the flooring, it asks the type of backing. Vinyl backing and border or no backing and border. I assume select the vinyl? Sorry I'm late to the rodeo!

23 hours ago, dickthemooner said:

Im a late bloomer, sorry! On the site for the flooring, it asks the type of backing. Vinyl backing and border or no backing and border. I assume select the vinyl? Sorry I'm late to the rodeo!

I did no backing (wanted it to dry out as fast as possible), and no border because I had to cut to fit. 

One other note, it is scary how much crap passes through it to the floor.    Pulled mine back when we recovered, and there is an incredible amount of stuff on the floor under it - all of which would have been in the carpet before.   No wonder the carpet got nasty in a hurry.   

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Cool. On the official deckadence page they warn against smell,etc (on other brands). just enough $ to make me want to ask about it in here. Thanks

Edited by TNgillster
  • 1 month later...

Anyone looking at this I got an email from American Floor Mats as I put this in my 22VLX, they are having a Labor Day sale.  Use code: LABORDAY20 to get 10% off.  Ends Monday.

• 6 months later...

Think we lost some data on this thread in the great server crash of 2021.  I ended up going with the standard mat from American and had a few tips for anyone ordering in the future.

1. I think they let a drunk guy cut them.  The edges are not at all straight, and they short change you a little bit.  My 4x10 is more like 3'10"-11"x10.  Don't plan on a full width.  If you need 3', expect 2'10" for instance.
  2. If doing a DD, they don't carry a piece that's wide enough.  I ordered a 4x10 and a 3x10 and planned to just lay them side by side like how MC does in the new Prostars.  In retrospect, I should have just ponied up for a 4x20.  The mats are not consistent.  The 3x10 is a lighter color and considerably more firm.
  3. Install them upside-down for a better feel under-foot.  The flat side of the mat as opposed to the curly noodle side is a nicer feel on the feet, and should drain equally well I'd think.  Maybe won't dry as fast?

I'll probably be the only one who notices but it's a bit annoying they're inconsistent.

On 3/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, UWSkier said:

I'll probably be the only one who notices but it's a bit annoying they're inconsistent.

Does it seem like it is due to different manufacturing lots, or is it worse than that?  Cutting things from the same cloth definitely has a benefit.

49 minutes ago, justgary said:

Does it seem like it is due to different manufacturing lots, or is it worse than that?  Cutting things from the same cloth definitely has a benefit.

Different lot. I guess they don't make any guarantees of consistency. That's what I get for trying to save money and eliminate waste. 😕

On 3/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, UWSkier said:

Think we lost some data on this thread in the great server crash of 2021.  I ended up going with the standard mat from American and had a few tips for anyone ordering in the future.

1. I think they let a drunk guy cut them.  The edges are not at all straight, and they short change you a little bit.  My 4x10 is more like 3'10"-11"x10.  Don't plan on a full width.  If you need 3', expect 2'10" for instance.
  2. If doing a DD, they don't carry a piece that's wide enough.  I ordered a 4x10 and a 3x10 and planned to just lay them side by side like how MC does in the new Prostars.  In retrospect, I should have just ponied up for a 4x20.  The mats are not consistent.  The 3x10 is a lighter color and considerably more firm.
  3. Install them upside-down for a better feel under-foot.  The flat side of the mat as opposed to the curly noodle side is a nicer feel on the feet, and should drain equally well I'd think.  Maybe won't dry as fast?

Pics?

4 hours ago, braindamage said:

Pics?

still WIP.  There's an obvious seam I won't be able to conceal over the trap door for shaft access.  I used the "good" mat for anywhere people generally stand.  The less comfortable one is behind the driver's seat where the skis and gear are always laying.  It looks and feels pretty good under foot, but I did a "just OK" job cutting the pieces.  I'm not very good at detail work like that.

PXL_20210401_041413406.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, UWSkier said:

still WIP.  There's an obvious seam I won't be able to conceal over the trap door for shaft access.  I used the "good" mat for anywhere people generally stand.  The less comfortable one is behind the driver's seat where the skis and gear are always laying.  It looks and feels pretty good under foot, but I did a "just OK" job cutting the pieces.  I'm not very good at detail work like that.

I don’t really see a color difference. Looks good to me!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, UWSkier said:

@UWSkier What did you do as far as floor prep? That is what is holding me back and it seems like I remember reading a post where you did not take the prep as far as others. I would be happy with what you have done.

1 hour ago, BearCreekBum said:

@UWSkier What did you do as far as floor prep? That is what is holding me back and it seems like I remember reading a post where you did not take the prep as far as others. I would be happy with what you have done.

I filled in low spots and painted with this stuff.  I went with light gray but kindof wish I'd gone with standard gray instead.  I didn't need to do this, but I figured if I had exposed floor anywhere, it'd look better with grippy paint on it.  Your boat should be much easier to prep as you should have a finished floor I think...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YSVKQJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Almost done. The stuff actually shrunk up a bit and there are a few gaps in going to sew closed, and going to put in a few snaps here and there to stretch it tight to the edges.

Lessons:

1. Do the flooring with the doghouse out. Thought it would be easier to fit the stuff with it in. Wrong. 

2. Get a better utility knife than your standard box cutter for making long cuts. 

3. Order one mat for the whole boat instead of two like I did for width. I ordered a 4x10 and a 3x10. A 4x16 probably would have been perfect and a more consistent feel. 

4. Install it upside down for a better under foot feel. 

PXL_20210402_211902301.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks UWSkier,

I gotta make a decision at some point between carpet and decadence. Yours looks nice, and affordable.

Steve B.

edit: Even if you had gone with the larger piece, you would still have to have a seam somewhere?

Edited by Steve B.
thought of a question