Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

American flooring budget mat install

Fman

1 hour ago, saskicker32 said:

I'm actually doing this project as well. I'm using kiwi-grip (thinking I should have maybe have just used paint because that kiwi-grip is pricey). I did also go Starboard to replace the gas tank cover. The downside is I wanted to apply kiwigrip to it, but everything I read says nothing is going to stick to that. i was using kiwi grip because I was hoping to use my boat with and without the deckadence. With a bunch of kids or stuff just pull the mat and have kiwigrip floors (My friend does this with his removeable carpet and I like it). So I'm kind of bummed i went the HDPE route, it was pricey for the 1" it was ~350 bucks for that size. I also replaced the center bilge access with 3/4" HDPE.

I'm also going back and forth on the rear lockers, under front seats, and passenger (battery) compartment whether to go kiwigrip or go with more of a bedliner style coating.

Another reason marine ply way to go in my opinion. Only down side I found was I had to buy a full sheet here in San Diego and it was like 140 or something. But really easy to work with and have anything apply to it. The strength is really good too. I weigh 230 and it doesn’t budge when I step on it. 

For the lockers and seat bases I can’t recommend Ozite enough. I will take pictures in a few days as I will be done with a complete overhaul of boat and trailer.  Can only take credit for the work and the money.  I lurked in a bunch of these threads and was inspired or learned how to do most from boaters like Boz and so many others on here. Much appreciated and saved thousands of dollars and learned so much. 

1 hour ago, Gbarnesnavy said:

Another reason marine ply way to go in my opinion. Only down side I found was I had to buy a full sheet here in San Diego and it was like 140 or something. But really easy to work with and have anything apply to it. The strength is really good too. I weigh 230 and it doesn’t budge when I step on it. 

While I personally would  now never use wood there, if you need an option, look at Baltic Birch Plywood.  It is sold in various widths like 12x36" etc and the stuff is awesome.  I needed to replace the floor battens in my Zodiac and it was super cheap.  The Interlux marine paint cost way more than the wood.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, Gbarnesnavy said:

DC873D09-6B34-4C03-B033-D551C5744C60.jpeg

C3B46A1A-A278-483B-90A1-DF93691F5A8C.jpeg

F1337977-0803-493F-BAE2-1ACD08B1E64F.jpeg

Awesome job!!  Wondering how you got the material to stick on picture 2 tho... you must have gotten a lot in your hair!  :-)

When I was MUCH younger, I helped my brother refloor his boat which had rotted out after his father in law crashed it on rocks in Lake Erie.   It was a BEAUTIFUL 1974 Silverline Comoro.  It was a closed bow boat, and I got the job of gluing down the floor in under the bow.    When I came out, I was higher than a kite (even for a teenager in the 70's), and had a headache for about a week.   Probably explains a lot about me.   I tell that story to say I have SOME perspective on how much work that is, and what it must have taken to do such a nice job on it.   Cant wait to see pics with the floor mat in it.   

• Haha 2
51 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Awesome job!!  Wondering how you got the material to stick on picture 2 tho... you must have gotten a lot in your hair!  :-)

When I was MUCH younger, I helped my brother refloor his boat which had rotted out after his father in law crashed it on rocks in Lake Erie.   It was a BEAUTIFUL 1974 Silverline Comoro.  It was a closed bow boat, and I got the job of gluing down the floor in under the bow.    When I came out, I was higher than a kite (even for a teenager in the 70's), and had a headache for about a week.   Probably explains a lot about me.   I tell that story to say I have SOME perspective on how much work that is, and what it must have taken to do such a nice job on it.   Cant wait to see pics with the floor mat in it.   

I couldnt for the life of me figure out why that picture kept rotating 180 degrees  lol  Gave up

17 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

What the bot is going on in here?

I don't think these are bots, rather people that have no life and get paid for hits from their forum posts. Sad.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/31/2021 at 10:02 PM, UWSkier said:

still WIP.  There's an obvious seam I won't be able to conceal over the trap door for shaft access.  I used the "good" mat for anywhere people generally stand.  The less comfortable one is behind the driver's seat where the skis and gear are always laying.  It looks and feels pretty good under foot, but I did a "just OK" job cutting the pieces.  I'm not very good at detail work like that.

PXL_20210401_041413406.jpg

Hey this looks great and I want to do it.  But I can't tell from the pics if you have the flooring going under the clamshell or just cut around it on the outside.  I feel like removing the carpet under the clamshell edges is going to affect the closing or something.

3 hours ago, Shachowi said:

Hey this looks great and I want to do it.  But I can't tell from the pics if you have the flooring going under the clamshell or just cut around it on the outside.  I feel like removing the carpet under the clamshell edges is going to affect the closing or something.

It goes under the doghouse on 3 sides.  Not across the back.  It won't fit under the hinges on the back side.  I didn't do the best job cutting this portion if I'm being honest.

I cut slits in the material for the strut mounts, and the alignment blocks are screwed down in place over the material just like they were with the carpet.

I pulled my carpet out in 2020, which was still in good shape and used it as a template. I love the american flooring option. Its actually fairly rigid when its cold, but its usually 100+ degrees when were on the boat and its really soft. I havent had an issue with it getting too hot either. This is a great DIY project. 

spacer.png

• Like 2