Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

American flooring budget mat install

Fman

3 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Does it just lay there or snap in?

Yes it just lays on the fiberglass floor.  Its actually got some decent weight to it.  Super easy to take out and hose off for a quick clean.  I had 205 hours on my 22vlx when I sold it and the Deckadence still looked brand new.

ahopkins22LSV

Nice work! I’ve been debating picking up something like this to put in the storage compartments. The large one on the passenger side of our boat has it on the floor but I want to do something for the one behind the passenger and behind the driver. Thinking this or Gator Step

5 hours ago, Ballay said:

Looks very nice. How did you do the seam at the helm and behind the seat?

There is a small gap now behind the seat.  It would be easy to cut a small piece but I will probably just leave it be for now.  For some reason it does not bother me.

20180824_163555.jpg

2 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

I was just thinking about how much I hate my carpet and what to replace it with. Really liking this! What did you do about the carpet snaps in the floor? 

It just lays over the snaps, I did not remove them.  It is heavy enough to not need any snaps to hold it down.   I never had any issues towing with it when I had my 22VLX. 

15 hours ago, Fman said:

I finally could not handle the mildew smell of the factory oem carpet. Plus it was matted down and looked terrible after 170 hours.   I had deckadence in my last boat for two years and really was sold on the stuff.  IMO it's the best removable carpet available ... bulletproof, easy to clean, impossible to stain, drains easy, stays cool in hot sun and feels great on your feet!  "Deckadence" ranges in price from $800-$1300.  @Dfowkesgave me the link for a company American Floor Mats that sells it for substantially less.   I ordered the 4'x16' piece for my 2017 LSV.  It was $352 delivered to my door.

When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised it's the exact same product.  It does not have the rabbit backing but I dont see this being a problem.  I ordered the charcoal gray and it matched up perfectly to my LSV interior.   It is super easy to cut and work with.

I used my old carpet as a template, traced it out and cut with a sharp set of scissors.  I do have a separate piece for under driver helm because of the 4'wide width it comes in.

I am very pleased with this product and am looking forward to mildew free boating from here on out!:)  I have attached a link for anyone interested. 

http://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-pool-mats/

20180824_153133.jpg

20180824_163536.jpg

20180824_170150.jpg

Looks great. My family loves our American mat. Stays cool and easy to clean. 

• Like 2

I did almost the exact same thing from the exact same place.  I did end up using snaps on mine, as much to make the driver's footwell look more natural as anything.  I also did glue a piece where that 4" section behind the seat goes.  I used marine raft repair cement for it.

I have been trying to get the stuff to glue to the plastic (I believe it is HDPE) under the front cushions, as it often gets wet and doesn't dry well.  But I have yet to be able to find anything that will bond the two together.  If anyone has any experience, please let me know.  I've tried headliner material, PVC cement, I think Gorilla glue.  I've  even tried heat to soften both materials and try for a mechanical bond, but it didn't work, either.

12 hours ago, 67King said:

I did almost the exact same thing from the exact same place.  I did end up using snaps on mine, as much to make the driver's footwell look more natural as anything.  I also did glue a piece where that 4" section behind the seat goes.  I used marine raft repair cement for it.

I have been trying to get the stuff to glue to the plastic (I believe it is HDPE) under the front cushions, as it often gets wet and doesn't dry well.  But I have yet to be able to find anything that will bond the two together.  If anyone has any experience, please let me know.  I've tried headliner material, PVC cement, I think Gorilla glue.  I've  even tried heat to soften both materials and try for a mechanical bond, but it didn't work, either.

I also tried PVC glue for the seams with no success.   There has to be some type of epoxy/adhesive that will bond two pieces together.  I have multiple scrap pieces cut up trying to bond them together!

What product did you end up using for the floor?  Is it a deckadence spin off?

1 hour ago, Fman said:

I also tried PVC glue for the seams with no success.   There has to be some type of epoxy/adhesive that will bond two pieces together.  I have multiple scrap pieces cut up trying to bond them together!

What product did you end up using for the floor?  Is it a deckadence spin off?

Huh, interesting.  I went to West Marine and asked a guy there, who sold me the raft glue stuff.  It worked great to seam it together.  Didn't work to adhere to the HDPE.

I used the exact same stuff from the exact same supplier you used!  We probably found it in the same thread.

I might try some fiberglass epoxy at least as a test spot.  The JB Weld would probably take forever and a lot of tubes.  I can spread out epoxy with a roller if the test part adheres.  That'll save me a lot of time.  I might end up just doing it with this:  https://www.mcmaster.com/#weatherstripping/=1ebxxpn  WOn't be ideal, but it'll be something.

That’s basically the tatami Mat from Axis , meant to lay there and come out for cleaning isn’t it?  Much better than the diaper backing carpet and not meant or need to be glued down, not necessary as it’s heavy and doesn’t move

that’s stuff is the same as commercial door mats and lasts for ever , hope I like my gator step better and it’s peal and stick and with the big shipping charge in group buy for just cabin floor was less than $600

now talk about a pain in the arse was laying out/taping down their complete  6 piece paper template  while crawling over it and sketching trim spots without sweating it to death.  I had to keep large towels handy and had lots of packing sheet paper pieces  on top of template to catch sweat so I could work.  I’m sure the new resulting template will be much better but I have to tape it down again and not sweat it to death to test new template .  

Scissors on driveway with my carpet as template would have been much easier and cheaper.  Just don’t want another thing to remove from boat to clean boat that also needed to be cleaned outside of boat.  That material is designed to hold the dirt for  “emptying” it by shaking it or beating  it out of the boat.   With gator step it will be a vacuum in boat with wet vac brush and clean spots with water or water and dawn snd a wet rag which is much easier than taking it out and putting it back in.  Don’t hose the decadence to save a drying step unless you spill beer or soda on it.  I shook out the same door mat at my business for 20 years

does the decadence have the heavy backing like the door mats?  If it does unless you have extremely dry air that we don’t have, you won’t be able to leave it down wet and dirty to dry in boat

Edited by granddaddy55

F-man:  Looks great.   My friend has gator step and it is a really nice product too.  I personally prefer the deckadence because for me, it has a softer and more luxury look than a solid floor.  I am always amazed when I pull my deckadence up, how many bugs, crumbs, pieces of dirt, etc have fallen through onto the fiberglass below.  It swallows a ton of dirt, and still looks immaculate on top.  My buddy has to vacumn all the time to keep the bugs and stuff up off his floor.  Plus, you can easily customize designs onto the deckadence, it doesn't scratch, and it wears like iron.  I pull it out about 2-3 times per season, and run a hose on it.  I love the product, and won't have another boat without it.  Great job.

• Like 2
On 8/31/2018 at 6:58 AM, malibudog said:

F-man:  Looks great.   My friend has gator step and it is a really nice product too.  I personally prefer the deckadence because for me, it has a softer and more luxury look than a solid floor.  I am always amazed when I pull my deckadence up, how many bugs, crumbs, pieces of dirt, etc have fallen through onto the fiberglass below.  It swallows a ton of dirt, and still looks immaculate on top.  My buddy has to vacumn all the time to keep the bugs and stuff up off his floor.  Plus, you can easily customize designs onto the deckadence, it doesn't scratch, and it wears like iron.  I pull it out about 2-3 times per season, and run a hose on it.  I love the product, and won't have another boat without it.  Great job.

@malibudog I had same experience with my 22vlx after 205 hours it looked brand new.  I was also surprised how many people comment on the mat and how good it feels on there feet:)I am also a fan of being able to remove the mat and not having permanent flooring glued down.   The stain resistance of this product is amazing.  Because its fully plastic makes it literally impossible to stain.  I also like the gator step product but for a few reasons prefer the Deckadence.  Plus for $350 hard to beat the value!

Edited by Fman
On 8/31/2018 at 6:37 AM, granddaddy55 said:

That’s basically the tatami Mat from Axis , meant to lay there and come out for cleaning isn’t it?  Much better than the diaper backing carpet and not meant or need to be glued down, not necessary as it’s heavy and doesn’t move

that’s stuff is the same as commercial door mats and lasts for ever , hope I like my gator step better and it’s peal and stick and with the big shipping charge in group buy for just cabin floor was less than $600

now talk about a pain in the arse was laying out/taping down their complete  6 piece paper template  while crawling over it and sketching trim spots without sweating it to death.  I had to keep large towels handy and had lots of packing sheet paper pieces  on top of template to catch sweat so I could work.  I’m sure the new resulting template will be much better but I have to tape it down again and not sweat it to death to test new template .  

Scissors on driveway with my carpet as template would have been much easier and cheaper.  Just don’t want another thing to remove from boat to clean boat that also needed to be cleaned outside of boat.  That material is designed to hold the dirt for  “emptying” it by shaking it or beating  it out of the boat.   With gator step it will be a vacuum in boat with wet vac brush and clean spots with water or water and dawn snd a wet rag which is much easier than taking it out and putting it back in.  Don’t hose the decadence to save a drying step unless you spill beer or soda on it.  I shook out the same door mat at my business for 20 years

does the decadence have the heavy backing like the door mats?  If it does unless you have extremely dry air that we don’t have, you won’t be able to leave it down wet and dirty to dry in boat

@granddaddy55This is not the same product as the tatami mat...imo that stuff is like steel wool, was never a fan.  It is brutal on your knees and feet.

I removed my deckadence once a season to clean under it.  I hosed it down at the end of the season.  It never stained, smelled, faded or even showed any wear after two years and 205 hours.  Removing is pretty easy, roll it up and toss it out.  It's got some decent weight to it but super easy to remove.

I thought at $1200 it was over priced but for $300-$350 it's a no brainer, especially over factory oem carpet which is junk.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Since you posted again and I missed this thread on the first go-round, I'll recommend that you try E-6000 adhesive to stick it to HDPE.  It's in a silver tube at hardware stores and even WM.  It might just work.