Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tachometer question 2004 w/PP

I have the combo unit perfect pass with screen and analog tachometer. Number of years ago, the tach quit working so I took it apart and cleaned the brass terminals. It just did it again so I tore it down and cleaned the terminals. Re-assembled and installed last night. I turned the key on and it didn't "buzz" like the other gauges. Question, is it supposed to buzz? I can't remember and didn't have time to hook up the hose to it to run the boat and test it. But I can't get it out of my head and MUST KNOW!!! I can't wait the 6 hours until I'm home to run it.

So you physically removed the tach, cracked it open, and cleaned the terminals?  You have any pics of this process or can u provide some instructions?  

Edit- I just realized this is a PP gauge.  My stock tach has never worked since I purchased the boat.  The stock one appears to be glued together.

Edited by Cazan
On 8/25/2018 at 5:56 PM, Cazan said:

So you physically removed the tach, cracked it open, and cleaned the terminals?  You have any pics of this process or can u provide some instructions?  

Edit- I just realized this is a PP gauge.  My stock tach has never worked since I purchased the boat.  The stock one appears to be glued together.

The PP unit is glued together as well.

You have have to take a small flat screw driver or razor blade and lightly pry the chrome bezel away from the plastic housing. The glue is usually pretty brittle and pops easily. Slowly work the housing and bezel apart. This takes patience, but can be done. Once it is off, take off all the brass nuts on the back and pull the tach body gently out of the housing. Those brass bolts that hold it together and connect to the wiring are the culprit. The contact the board on pressure only and get some corrosion causing failure. I used a scotchbrite pad and cleaned the terminals to shiny condition. Re-assembly can be a pain, just take your time. I've done this twice now, it is kind of a routine maintenance with these older tachs.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:57 PM, justgary said:

Cracking me up.  I'm surprised you slept at all! 

So is it working?  We MUST KNOW!

She's all good. Sleep easy my friend, sleep easy....

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the tach has died again. I'm thinking this time it is beyond a simple cleaning. It would appear the air core servo has locked up. I called Faria gauges and they immediately helped with a "GFY it's old".  I cannot find anywhere on line that you can readily buy an air core servo for gauges, and I'm not buying a lot of 1000. Does anyone have experience with the repair of these? I'm actually in the middle of selling the boat, and this is the last thing that needs fixing. I want the boat 100% for the new buyer, as does he. This is driving me nuts.

So replacement isn't overly easy, well it's easy but costly. Since the Perfect Pass is built into that gauge, I would need to upgrade the whole system at the cost of $800. I'm selling at a pretty good deal as it is, not giving away that much more.

36 minutes ago, Falko said:

Faria made that gauge, stamped right on it.

Really?  Doesn't Faria offer a lifetime warranty on their gauges?  Or because PP rebranded shouldn't they?  I would call Mark at PerfectPass and ask - can't hurt!

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Falko:  You probably already know the ebay and ski-it-again sites for parts.  An option might be an aftermarket tachometer and a dual line PP gauge, that shouldn't totally bust the budget although not original equipment.

That would be the $800. Have to upgrade to stargazer for the newer PP system. Unless you are referring to a used system.

My other option is a standard tach and pull the PP interface out of the existing tach and re-mount some how. They simply stuffed an extra board and display into the tach housing, the two really aren't combined.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Really?  Doesn't Faria offer a lifetime warranty on their gauges?  Or because PP rebranded shouldn't they?  I would call Mark at PerfectPass and ask - can't hurt!

I've talked to both Faria and PP, neither can do anything with it.

@Falko:  I was thinking more of the 2 line gauge either new ($229?) or used.  From your comment I now assume you have pre 6.5ng, so all you should need to make the system compatible would be the 6.5ng chip, and I have seen those on ebay / ski it again / great lakes skipper, and they go for ~$60.  The chip is an easy swap out, just need a chip puller which is a couple of bucks on ebay.

I don't know really what that means. So are you saying I buy an upgraded 6.5ng chip to work with my current system? Will that two line gauge display rpm? Or is it one of the small 2" units? I've seen medallion tachs for sale, but not sure I have anything medallion for it to work right. I'd hate to add a non-matching tach.

@Falko:  Correct, you get the 6.5NG chip which you install in the master module, then you can install the dual display gauge and the system will function as PP classic.  Go to the PP website and you can look through the display page to find one you like, 2 sizes / styles available depending on dash configuration.  The dual line display will display speed and rpm, depends on what screen you have displayed as to specifically what is displayed or how it is displayed.  Download a manual off the PP site, that describes the different screens and has a lot of additional information.

13 hours ago, UWSkier said:

@Falko there's a 6.5NG Digital Pro system on SIA right now for 60 bucks.  If you put in that and one of these, you'd be all set to go.  Even matches.

malibuorange5.png

DO you think that module will plug in place of the current unit, all plugs just go into it? Then just get this display?

According to the PP website, anything before 2010 will need to upgrade to Stargazer.

Edited by Falko

@Falko:   One reason for that statement on the PP website, they made the business decision not to support PP classic anymore, you can find that comment in the news section if you scroll back a year or so.  You can, assuming you find one to upgrade your PP module to 6.5 NG, with a simple chip upgrade as noted.  The chip should simply plug in, you might post a picture of your master module for us to verify, you can even pop the cover off and shoot a picture of the chip itself.

Here is a picture of the chip:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTERCRAFT-506883-PERFECTPASS-2005-WAKEBOARD-BOAT-VERSION-11-CHIP-/190875239537

Here is a picture of the master module:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/PerfectPass-Boat-Master-Module-Wakeboard-Pro-6-5NG-Kit-/142735587859

Note:  I can't tell if the chip is 6.5ng or earlier, use it as a reference until confirmed.  PP could tell you from the details provided.