Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 VLX vs 22 LSV (Wakeboard Wake)???

geogilbert

So I have a 22 VLX that I absolutely love. That said I am thinking of upgrading to the 22 LSV.  I have walked through one on the showroom and like what I see. That said has anyone wakeboarded behind one with it loaded down? 
The hull looks very similar and I am guessing not much has changed but, just looking for anyone with 1st hand comparative experience.  

We are running the VLX with all stock plus 600-700lbs in each locker and 1100lbs in the bow. My guess would be that the LSV would be similar. 

Any insight would be awesome... 

Edited by geogilbert

Honestly, that is a very good question. I am just ready. Like I said I love the current ride and if the wake is same or better I will likely pull the trigger.

42 minutes ago, geogilbert said:

So I have a 22 VLX that I absolutely love. That said I am thinking of upgrading to the 22 LSV.  I have walked through one on the showroom and like what I see. That said has anyone wakeboarded behind one with it loaded down? 
The hull looks very similar and I am guessing not much has changed but, just looking for anyone with 1st hand comparative experience.  

We are running the VLX with all stock plus 600-700lbs in each locker and 1100lbs in the bow. My guess would be that the LSV would be similar. 

Any insight would be awesome... 

Idle speculation, moreso than insight.  You and I have the same boat.  I recall when the 21VLX came out as the "value" Bu, I was pretty unhappy (as were several others) because I felt that it would negatively impact the resale since the term "VLX" was now cheapened.  The new 22LSV is basically a 22VLX so that Malibu can get their nomenclature more consistent.  They didn't have this problem with the MXZ, that decontented one was named MLX, which had not been used before.

Again, just speculation.

Only an educated guess, but the beam on the 21VLX is the same as my previous boat (20VTX) and the beam on the 22LSV is the same as my current 23LSV.  The 23LSV seems to be less fussy about weight distribution at wakeboard speeds... I attribute some of that to the beam, but the weight of the boat itself probably plays too.

Regardless, you'll love that extra width in the seating area.  Makes a huge difference in comfort when you have a full boat.. I know it's only 4", but it's noticable.

Just a question out ofcuriosity, why 22 and not 23?  Both are beautiful boats but the 23 is the classic... I just haven't figured out the target market for the 22.

1 hour ago, ajive said:

Only an educated guess, but the beam on the 21VLX is the same as my previous boat (20VTX) and the beam on the 22LSV is the same as my current 23LSV.  The 23LSV seems to be less fussy about weight distribution at wakeboard speeds... I attribute some of that to the beam, but the weight of the boat itself probably plays too.

Regardless, you'll love that extra width in the seating area.  Makes a huge difference in comfort when you have a full boat.. I know it's only 4", but it's noticable.

Just a question out ofcuriosity, why 22 and not 23?  Both are beautiful boats but the 23 is the classic... I just haven't figured out the target market for the 22.

In 2015, the (then new) 22VLX had the same beam as the 23LSV.  I dont believe it has changed since.  Also back then the price difference was about $10K.  In 3 years, I've never been crowded.  So I guess I'd say I dont get why people spend the extra on much a small difference. 

I have nothing to offer other than my guess is the wake will be similar or slightly better.  There is more stock ballast on the new one because of the larger rear tanks, but ive seen those lockers and it seems you can only fit like a 500lb bag back there.  I believe the new one is taller and heavier boat by a few hundred lbs so if you do slam it, I would expect a marginally better wake.  I do believe the hull shape is the same, its just a little heavier boat. 

Edit: I'm curious how it would compare to my 22VLX with the wakemakers custom 820lb(whatever these really are) in the rear 1000lb triangle in nose because there is no way you could squeeze that much weight in the rear of the new boats so I feel like the wake would be a downgrade in some instances depending on how much weight you currently run.

Edited by t a
33 minutes ago, t a said:

I have nothing to offer other than my guess is the wake will be similar or slightly better.  There is more stock ballast on the new one because of the larger rear tanks, but ive seen those lockers and it seems you can only fit like a 500lb bag back there.  I believe the new one is taller and heavier boat by a few hundred lbs so if you do slam it, I would expect a marginally better wake.  I do believe the hull shape is the same, its just a little heavier boat. 

Edit: I'm curious how it would compare to my 22VLX with the wakemakers custom 820lb(whatever these really are) in the rear 1000lb triangle in nose because there is no way you could squeeze that much weight in the rear of the new boats so I feel like the wake would be a downgrade in some instances depending on how much weight you currently run.

Go back to your statement... The hard tanks are bigger.. which then means with a smaller bag you are still getting the same weight... I have 250 sub floor with 1100 on top... now lets be realistic and agree that the 1100 don't fill full but to 820 (I like to think I am getting 900)... 250 + 820 = 1070 .... D Dealer stated from my recollection that the rear tanks are now 650 lbs each, so 650 + 500 = 1150 lbs... you are actually getting more weight... 

3 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Go back to your statement... The hard tanks are bigger.. which then means with a smaller bag you are still getting the same weight... I have 250 sub floor with 1100 on top... now lets be realistic and agree that the 1100 don't fill full but to 820 (I like to think I am getting 900)... 250 + 820 = 1070 .... D Dealer stated from my recollection that the rear tanks are now 650 lbs each, so 650 + 500 = 1150 lbs... you are actually getting more weight... 

I didn’t think they were that big, looking at them I was thinking maybe 400lbs each.  The 820lb custom bags are supposed to be more like 1000, not sure why they understate those numbers, but either way, should be similar if those rear tanks hold that much

Edited by t a
On 8/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, 67King said:

In 2015, the (then new) 22VLX had the same beam as the 23LSV.  I dont believe it has changed since.  Also back then the price difference was about $10K.  In 3 years, I've never been crowded.  So I guess I'd say I dont get why people spend the extra on much a small difference. 

Whoops.  How did I read 21VLX throughout that entire thread?