Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaking rudder 2011 23 LSV

Hey guys, I have a 2011 LSV and noticed the rudder is leaking through the center shaft. It’s not loose and there seems to be no play in it but water does come up through the center. Before I try to take it apart to figure out the problem on my own I was hoping somebody here would have some guidance for me. 

There is a rubber o-ring in the shaft housing that is easily replaceable. The screw holds the key stock in and the cross bolt secures the weighted tiller arm to the rudder shaft. Pull the bolt and lift the tiller arm with steering cable off of the shaft. Before you do that you will want to prop up the rudder into the hull. I just used 2x4s. Pull out the old o ring and find a suitably sized replacement. I used a little grease for reassembly, but it wasn’t really necessary.

Edited by wdr

How much water is coming through it?  If it's not a huge leak I would definitely grease the zerk fittings first to see if that helps.  Go easy, just a llittle goes a long way; too much blows out the O-rings. 

If you want/need it, Marine Hardware sells a rebuild kit for your rudder.  It has all the required O-rings (and washer?) and a new Teflon bushing for the rudder box. 

4 hours ago, formulaben said:

How much water is coming through it?  If it's not a huge leak I would definitely grease the zerk fittings first to see if that helps.  Go easy, just a llittle goes a long way; too much blows out the O-rings. 

If you want/need it, Marine Hardware sells a rebuild kit for your rudder.  It has all the required O-rings (and washer?) and a new Teflon bushing for the rudder box. 

My ‘10 does not have a zerk for what ever reason and the ‘10 was the first year for the weighted tiller arm as well.

I didn’t see any fittings for grease but wasn’t really looking for them, where would they be? 

Also so to replace the o ring I don’t have to pull the rudder down or out of the boat correct? I’ve never done this before but am mechanically inclined so should be able to figure it out I just wanted a little direction before I started tearing into it. Thanks for the help guys 

5 hours ago, Glove0950 said:

I didn’t see any fittings for grease but wasn’t really looking for them, where would they be?

This is similar to how mine looks.

Image067.jpg

11 hours ago, Glove0950 said:

Also so to replace the o ring I don’t have to pull the rudder down or out of the boat correct? I’ve never done this before but am mechanically inclined so should be able to figure it out I just wanted a little direction before I started tearing into it. Thanks for the help guys 

To get the rudder completely out of the boat without having to jack up the back of the boat, you will have to remove the 4 rudder housing bolts. Doing that will allow you to push the housing with the rudder still in it, down and to the side of the center trailer prop guard bar. At that point the whole assembly will come out. I can’t remember when I replaced my rudder exactly where the rubber ring sits inside of the housing. When you drop the rudder it may lower enough to expose the rubber ring so you don’t have to go through removing the housing. Hopefully so, because of the sealant used, 5200 I am guessing, getting that housing out of the hull was a significant emotional event to say the least.

Yeah I am really hoping not have to take that off. I just put FAE on and getting the old exhaust tips out was fun. I have just never messed with a rudder before so I’m not sure where the o ring is. I’m going to take the top part off tomorrow and hopefully what I need to replace will be accessible there from what I got out of your first post. Thanks a ton for the help

wdr, is there a seal on the bottom side too? I got the top one out but afraid there might be a bottom seal that’s also bad, I don’t want to do this twice lol

also got a replacement from a local bearing shop, but was going to put it back together and feel like I should have bought two. Thanks again for the help

1 hour ago, Glove0950 said:

wdr, is there a seal on the bottom side too? I got the top one out but afraid there might be a bottom seal that’s also bad, I don’t want to do this twice lol

also got a replacement from a local bearing shop, but was going to put it back together and feel like I should have bought two. Thanks again for the help

Standard rubber o-ring on the bottom.

Mine didn’t have and “o ring” it was an actual seal. I replaced the one I was able to get to on the top and it seems to have stopped the leak. I only stuck it in the water on the trailer though. Will be taking it out tomorrow hopefully to make sure. 

AF13E793-7D37-4C80-B6E8-36CCF36DCAA8.jpeg

• Like 2