Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Owner Intro - 1998 Sunsetter LX

Wolverine

Hi TMC, 

I've been looking for an inboard for a few months and bought a 1998 Sunsetter LX last Saturday. I was on the site a lot while I was searching and the info available here has been incredible. I bought the boat knowing it needed a new engine due to a cracked block. My wife and I are very excited and think the Sunsetter will be perfect for us once it's back on the water (although I don't think she sees the cracked block for the opportunity it is...). Anyways, I have ordered the Clymer's Indmar manual based on advice from another member here and I'm deciding on an engine replacement option. I plan to go with a long block and am leaning towards a new GM marine engine for simplicity and peace of mind. I'm also considering a new truck long block from Jeg's or a reman long block, advice on this is welcome. I'm looking forward to posting as I make progress on the engine swap!

- Joe

IMG_2708_zpsyirkv3rn.jpg

IMG_2719_zps3irtusah.jpg

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

Hi TMC, 

I've been looking for an inboard for a few months and bought a 1998 Sunsetter LX last Saturday. I was on the site a lot while I was searching and the info available here has been incredible. I bought the boat knowing it needed a new engine due to a cracked block. My wife and I are very excited and think the Sunsetter will be perfect for us once it's back on the water (although I don't think she sees the cracked block for the opportunity it is...). Anyways, I have ordered the Clymer's Indmar manual based on advice from another member here and I'm deciding on an engine replacement option. I plan to go with a long block and am leaning towards a new GM marine engine for simplicity and peace of mind. I'm also considering a new truck long block from Jeg's or a reman long block, advice on this is welcome. I'm looking forward to posting as I make progress on the engine swap!

- Joe

IMG_2708_zpsyirkv3rn.jpg

IMG_2719_zps3irtusah.jpg

Congrats on the new boat! Go with a true marine motor, the truck engines don't have the same power level. I think they have a different piston than the marine gm engines, but can't say for sure.

Congrats on the boat, not the engine. :)

If you are in the Midwest, I know of a company that does rebuilds very reasonable, if you don't want to do all this yourself. Don't know if they do shipping or not.

Go ahead with a marine motor. The prep work for "marinizering" them is already done. If you get a truck motor, you will need to replace cam and freeze plugs... 

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm in Jackson, MS (originally from Michigan) and have looked into Michigan Motorz but I still need to call them to check on shipping.  I'm planning on doing the swap myself so not having to do the marinizing will go a long way to getting it running this boating season. Luckily the season is pretty long down here.

@Wolverine:  Congrats on your new purchase.  The GM iron marine small block does have some different content compared to a automotive / truck version.  Specifically, as noted above, the camshaft is different along with some anti corrosion parts like brass core plugs.  You will want to swap over the marine accessories such as distributor, starter, alternator, carburetor & mechanical fuel pump (if equipped that way) as those have anti spark and anti spill provisions. 

On 8/22/2018 at 3:29 PM, Wolverine said:

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm in Jackson, MS (originally from Michigan) and have looked into Michigan Motorz but I still need to call them to check on shipping.  I'm planning on doing the swap myself so not having to do the marinizing will go a long way to getting it running this boating season. Luckily the season is pretty long down here.

Since you are doing this your self, message me and I can give you two people that get barely used PCM engines and great prices vs new.

• Like 1