Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loose swim platform brackets - 2017 TXI

Malibu Dave

Last week I noticed the bolts on my swim platform were loose (all 4 of them). I managed to tighten them but if you've ever looked at where they are behind the gas tank on the 2017 TXI you'll understand what a royal PIA that was! I was going to add lock washers but absent cutting the boat open and removing the fuel tank I don't see how this would be possible.

Question - has anyone else experienced this issue (loose platform mounting bolts) and has anyone attempted to take it back to their dealer to have them correct the issue with proper locking hardware?

Had the same issue with my 2011 RLXI.

Put it down to kids hopping (jumping) from the rear seat to the platform.

When I fitted FAE as I wanted to keep the exhaust noise down I had the remove the gas tank to get to the rear transom.

This where I noticed the recess from the floor to the area for the swim platform bolts. Full of water from the water running along the floor under the tank, plus no doubt a bit from thru the bolt holes.

There is a bent strip of 1/8" alum which is pulled thru tightening the bolts to follow the shape of this recess, an ireggular shape. Ine side had a curve, the other a looos attempt of making a flat surface.

Procedded to grease the bolts to prevent gauling located some more substantial alum plates which I bent to follow the shape, then some smaller washers to get back to close to a flat surface for the nut.

Sealed the bolts then tightened them us securly. Siliconed a plate over these recesses to stop water from enereing & just sitting there.

That was 4 years back & the bolts are still tight.

To remove the gas tank, get a fine ratchet open end ring spanner as there are some from memory 3/8" coach bolts & nuts securig the pasenger side upholsstery, the onde from the observers seat thru to the lounge.

Then the bolts securring the lounge

Then the floor of the rear hatch over the gas tank

Removed the fuel pump as I could not figure how to remove the crimped Gas hose from the pressure side of the pump

Filler hoses offf & the breather hose.

Screw mounts in the front of the tank to the floor

Empty the tank as it doesnt take much gas to make it heavy to manouvre out

You now have access to the swim platform bolts & the mould & dirt in the bilge.

Good opportunity to service the rudder or replace bushes or seals if required.

Gets you out of the house for about half a day if you like tinkering.

You will be amazed at the way these are slapped togeather when you consider what we pay for them, can't say there is a lot of craftmanship in the hidden details. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 7:18 AM, Eagleboy99 said:

They fiberglass the tank in?  Really?  That is some fine engineering...  ;)

The new build method is to put a fiberglass tub inside a fiberglass tub.  I think the engineers have been spending too much time staying up at night watching infomercials for Bathfitters.

They don't make 'em like they used to!

Edited by UWSkier

MUst be these same engineers:  "The identical badge-engineered Buick Skyhawk, Chevy Monza, Pontiac Sunbird, and Olds Starfire of the '75-'80 model years were equipped with a 3.8 liter V-6 that was very large for the size of the engine compartment on these small cars. The result was that, in order to change the spark plugs on the right bank of the engine, you had to disconnect the motor mounts, attach a chain hoist, and lift the engine at least a few inches in order to be able to access those plugs. ";)