Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME and UPS how will this one go?

awilco

Wakegirl and Edwin,

I got it directly from ACME, not referbished but a demo prop, and have been dealing with Jim. The prop looked brand new. I was not happy that I had to start the claim but UPS would not give me any information on it, said it is the way they do business. I had to contact ACME to find out if UPS was going to pay or not.

UPS returned the prop to ACME, I wonder if ACME will fix it? Jim says they send out thousands of props a week. After UPS said they would pay he offered send out a new prop right away but I needed to pay for it in full and they would credit my account when UPS pays. I guess I had expected them to swap it out for a new prop knowing UPS was going to pay. By this time I had repaired my old 13x13 prop and that is what I will use for the next couple weeks or months as long as the water temperature does not drop to low.

Wakegirl

Off of the topic, I have been in Bend many times. My brother moved up there in 1976. He used to own a house behind a church on one of the main roads in old town Bend near the library. The church bought him out. He build a house out side of town a couple miles. Great place, love it there, still go often.

Edited by awilco

Bottom line, the buck stops with Acme - you paid Acme, not UPS. How they get that sorted with UPS should have no bearing on if or when you get your money back IMO. My husband & I have been in business for ourselves for most of our adult lives & I would never consider treating a customer like this. I don't mean to make a mountain out of a molehill, but that's just unacceptable to my mind.

And they're making him wait for UPS to reimburse them? Isn't there anyone else here that finds that unacceptable?
Yes. The claim is between ACME & UPS. ACME should ship him a replacement immediately. (Assuming it was ACME's decision to use UPS as the shipper and not a special request of the customer.) Either way though, the customer was not in the wrong and should not have to wait for satisfaction.

I felt the same way about ACME. That is the reasion I did not just buy another prop from them and wait for the credit. Had they sent one right away I would have paid them and then hashed it out later, no big deal.

And they're making him wait for UPS to reimburse them? Isn't there anyone else here that finds that unacceptable?
Yes. The claim is between ACME & UPS. ACME should ship him a replacement immediately. (Assuming it was ACME's decision to use UPS as the shipper and not a special request of the customer.) Either way though, the customer was not in the wrong and should not have to wait for satisfaction.

Totally agree. Frankly I'm surprised by all of this. Acme is usually known for their excellent customer service. Ask them for your money back & tell them that you want to put an OJ on your boat, see what reaction that gets. :lol:

Wakegirl, Any chance you know my brother Matthew or his wife Monnette?

Doesn't ring a bell. What's the last name? We're up to a population of over 70k now, so some of the small town feel (like knowing everyone) is leaving.

Billfooter,

I feel the same way. I feel a repaired prop is not a good as a CNC not repaired prop any way you call it.

Wakegirl, My brothers name is Matthew Wilcox (wilcox construction)

Begining of summer I fell game to the prop thieves and the UPS vacuum.

I have a longer than normal, curving driveway. The top of the driveway can't be seen from the street, due to trees. The typical driver doesn't want to pull his truck up there becuase he doesn't think he can back out or turn around. Our normal driver knows the top is big enough to turn around, so he always drives up to the top.

Anyway, we live right next to a park and our mailbox is on the street, right next to the park. I ordered a prop (not from Acme, actually from a guy online) and a prop saver kit from Acme. Only the prop saver kit showed up, and it was left at the mailbox, sitting on the street basically, next to a public park.

The prop never showed up, though UPS and everyone else swore it was delivered on the day the prop saver kit showed up. I never got the prop. And becuase I didn't 'pay' for the delivery UPS wouldn't deal with me.

It took weeks, but in the end, I paid $200 for a used prop - and it never showed up. UPS sent him $100 becuause that's all they would claim it was insured for - I guess he didn't buy extra insurance for it. The guy could have totally walked at that point, $300 to the richer and I would have never have been able to do anything. fortunately for me I got the $100. But I was still out $100.

What kind of idiot would steal a box on the side of the road, realize it was a prop and of no real value, and then not take it back?

ACME probably knows, since they ship 'thousands of props per week', that they will only get $100 for the prop from UPS. I'd turn into a real squeeky wheel if I were you...

Thousands of props per week seems like a 'slight' exaggeration. Gotta say I had some not so good experiences with Bill W at ACME right after they got into the business...my money goes to TN and the OJ folk.

If you paid by credit card and did not get satisfactory delivery you can contact your CC card company and stop payment. Call and find out your options, call Acme and let them know you are not satisfied and your plan for stopping payment. That way you are not out your $. If Acme cares about their customer they will either get your $ or a prop. I don't think they want to go through the CC canceled payment route.

Just my .02

All, help me out with a sanity check here, is my thinking flawed, am I going to see a big improvement if I go to a 13x11.5 OJ or Acme CNC prop?

Acme did not come through, still no credit on my account from them and no prop. I had an old OJ Legond 1" shaft 13x13 from one of my old boats but in like new shape never damaged. I saw a guy on ebay who wanted to much for his 1 1/8" shaft 13x13 and I knew it would not sell so I emailed him, offered to trade, sent him my prop and got his last night. It is the same size and make as the prop I dinged up that my Response came from the factory with and in perfect condition.

I was happy with the performace of my Response with that prop size so I am going to put that one on this weekend, wait for my refund from ACME and chalk it up to experience and keep my old prop as a spair.

Thanks to all for your kind support and advise.

Andy

ALWAYS buy insurance with ANY shipping company !! The post office just lost a $ 25.00 box last week , they said SORRY............ no box, no money Mad.gif ... SO lesson learned BUY extra insurance, its SOOOOOOO cheap to buy .

As I stated earlier in this thread, UPS is a major PIA to deal with when it comes to making a claim. If they screw up, they should handle it in a timely manner. What they seem to try to do is drag it out long enough that the customer just says screw it and drops the whole thing.

Regarding the OJ Legend props, there was a huge difference between the 3 blade and 4 blade models. The 4 blades had much better hole shots and speed holding capability than the 3 blade version.

The OJ XMP 3 blade will outperform the 4 blade Legend in all areas, plus it's much smoother. I'm confident you'd raise the performance level of your boat with a CNC prop.

Regarding the OJ Legend props, there was a huge difference between the 3 blade and 4 blade models. The 4 blades had much better hole shots and speed holding capability than the 3 blade version.

The OJ XMP 3 blade will outperform the 4 blade Legend in all areas, plus it's much smoother. I'm confident you'd raise the performance level of your boat with a CNC prop.

I made this exact change on my Sporty. Went from a Legend 4 blade (13X14) to an XMP CNC'd 3 blade (13X12). Lost my 53 MPH top end (now I top out at 50) but at $3/gal I don't want to run WOT anyway. Much better holeshot, much better speed holding capability. Go CNC'd, you won't be disappointed.