Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME and UPS how will this one go?

awilco

Yesterday I expected arrival of a new ACME prop just in time to ski this weekend. When I go home there it was but something was horribly wrong. Cry.gif

My wife heard me come in and raced to the kitchen table where the mangled box and bent prop sat. She was apologizing like crazy.

The UPS driver left the box leaning against the garage door. Crazy.gif

She entered the garage from the house, garage door was shut. She got in here car, started it up, hit the garage door opener and started driving out. Bump, she ran over the new prop. Shocking.gif

I calmed her down, it was not her fault. What do you all think? Do you think I will eat the price of the new prop or do you think UPS will cover the damage. ACME says there was insurance on the package.

Yesterday I expected arrival of a new ACME prop just in time to ski this weekend. When I go home there it was but something was horribly wrong. Cry.gif

My wife heard me come in and raced to the kitchen table where the mangled box and bent prop sat. She was apologizing like crazy.

The UPS driver left the box leaning against the garage door. Crazy.gif

She entered the garage from the house, garage door was shut. She got in here car, started it up, hit the garage door opener and started driving out. Bump, she ran over the new prop. Shocking.gif

I calmed her down, it was not her fault. What do you all think? Do you think I will eat the price of the new prop or do you think UPS will cover the damage. ACME says there was insurance on the package.

UPS is responsible for the prop. Call ACME and tell them what happened. Call UPS and file a claim.

They'll probably cover it, but you never know. Have you ever signed a signature release allowing them to just drop packages without a signature? If not, I would think they are still responsible for the package until you pick it up. If you have, they may say sorry, you signed the release, it was delivered and out of our hands. I dunno though.

Call UPS and be truthful--but don't elaborate or volunteer. "when I got home, this is what my box looked like. What are my options." I wouldn't start with "my wife ran over my box after you dropped it off."

Good luck with UPS. I doubt they will pay if you damaged it after they dropped it off. If it was stolen, you may have had a case. Even if they do agree to pay for it, they are not very efficient when it comes to getting you your money. Last January, I sold a small outboard motor through Ebay. I needed to ship it to the buyer and, due to the odd size, I decided to have it packaged and sent by a UPS store. It killed me to spend the money on the packaging, but i'm sure glad I did. When the buyer got the motor, it had been destroyed by UPS. It looked like it had been dropped from a pretty good height or run over or something. UPS was quick to send out an adjuster to assess the damage since I had fully insured the package. The adjuster decided the motor was beyond repair, took the motor with him and told the buyer that he would receive the check in the mail. It took over 8 months of phone calls and E-mails from me and the buyer to get him his money. Pretty poor service if you ask me.

JJACKKRASH,

I was up front with UPS and ACME and told them exactly what happened. UPS informed me ACME needs to file the claim. Just another day in paradise as the ski weekends diminish with the water temp.

Edwin offered to lend me a prop. I am super glad I did not take him up on it, may have been his prop and I would feel like Cry.gif

UPS and Fedex both leaves stuff by my garage door but luckily, I have two single width doors with a column in the center and they usually leave the stuff leaning on the column not the door.

USPS, on the other hand almost always brings the package to the front door. Takes a bit longer, but always good service. Of course the Christmas tip helps no doubt.

Edited by Baddog

Not surprised to hear that UPS is stepping up. Mrs. Thumbs worked in one of their regional customer service departments during college. They were overly fair....in most cases.

Of course the Christmas tip helps no doubt.

The UPS guy never sticks around long enough for us to tip him. By the time we get to the door IF he rings the doorbell the truck is already down the street. Usually we notice the delivery hours later.

I had a better experience getting a claim processed. I was the sender of an ebay auction that never made it there. I refunded the buyer and got my check back from the UPS store in about 2 weeks.

I was gonna point out that the sender had to initiate the claim. They were the cairries customer. I think they will pay up, pretty stupid to leave something 'behind' a car, even if the car is in the garage.

On the other hand, it would sure be nice if ACME sent you another prop (today). It will be weeks at best before UPS pays anything. They hired UPS and if UPS doesn't pay I would still think they are somewhat responsible too.

UPS should pay. It's not your fault the driver left it where it could get run over. Pretty stupid place to leave anything.

Pretty much my thoughts, sounds like the driver was to lazy to trot it to the porch.

I'm gonna be the bad guy here...

The driver had a choice to make. Either leave the package or leave a call tag and either you go pick it up or try again to deliver your package tomorrow. The latter can be a PITA. He made the choice that was supposed to make your life easier. Backfire! He assumed noone was home. You file a claim and he'll start leaving call tags instead of packages. (IMHO...)

When I'M expecting something I always leave a note asking the driver to leave package inside the screen door or another easy spot depending on size.

Hope it all works out!

Pat

Well this is good info. for me to hear while I'm still in the early stages of working for a competitor of UPS. Lemme share some things I've learned since working in the shipping business.

1) If you guys ever saw what actually happens to those poor packages back at the station/hub area, you'd be amazed anything actually makes it to where it's going in one piece.

2) Whenever you're packing something to be shipped, pack it as if it was going to WAR!

edit: Just yesterday I tripped, fell, and dropped a box containing a $20K aircraft instrument. Apparently, it was some video screen that replaces all of the analog instruments in a small plane. BTW, luckily, no damage done.

Edited by Pistol Pete
Biggrin.gif I drive for UPS and its AGAINST UPS policy to leave packages at doors outside so rain or seen from the street. I do it alot Shocking.gif leave boxes at doors... will I get in trouble when you run over it, you bet. The driver did his/her job wrong. It happens, I have gotten in trouble before for the same thing. I always put ALOT of packing in my box , and double box it if its worth alot and put address labels on inside box, and on 2 different places on the outside box, and phone numbers always help us drivers. I'll call if I can not find your house or if its the wrong address. Good luck, sorry it happened.

post-227-1159146567_thumb.jpg

Just curious, if the wife was home, how come she didn't answer the door when the UPS guy rang? Did he not try the door first? HMMM??? They left some video tapes out front once and my dog got to them before me, so you can guess what they looked like, argh! What size prop you looking for? I have an extra for sale maybe? 381/13.5x17.5 four blade.

Malibuman,

The prop is for a 1997 Response, it was an ACME 13x11.5. UPS said they are going to pick it back up for inspection and pay the insured amount. Funny how I scheduled a pickup for Friday, the next day after this happened, and they missed that pickup.

Malibuman,

Funny how I scheduled a pickup for Friday, the next day after this happened, and they missed that pickup.

Don't leave it leaning against the garage door. Innocent.gif

All, here is an update.

I spoke with Jim at ACME, UPS inspected the prop and said nothing was wrong with it Crazy.gif

He said he did not know if UPS was going to pay or not.

Before our call ended he said his admin staff just got a call and UPS decided to pay.

He said he had no idea of how long it would take to refund my money or get me to another prop.

So, it is a waiting game for me. Crazy.gif

What do you think?