Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Years for Surfgate, Auto wedge, and Power Wedge

Tried searching the intranets but couldn't get a clear answer. We are looking to upgrade boats sometime in the next couple of years, and I think I like the lack of touch screens on the Axis lines, so we are evaluating going to a T23 or A24. We would potentially still look at at 23 LSV but our local dealer is not carrying Malibu anymore so the touchscreens and electronics of the newer boats scare me a bit. Our primary goal going from our 2006 21 VLX is to get into a bigger surf gate boat, but with our current boat the power wedge makes a world of difference in the surf wake, so we would still like to have that as well. So onto the questions:

What year did Axis start selling surf gate boats? 2014?

Whats the difference between the Auto wedge and the Power Wedge? Is the Auto wedge the old floating wedge? What years did each start?

ahopkins22LSV

Axis started with SG in 2014.

Auto wedge has been the wedge for Axis since the first Axis was built. Is the floating wedge. I think they called it auto wedge as it "auto set" itself based on the speed of the boat.

Power Wedge II became available in 2018.

Power Wedge III is now available for 2019's.

Axis is auto set, floating.

Surfgate was on Malibus in 2013, Axis 2014 as stated above.

Malibu auto wedge is different. It will start in lift, then move to the predetermined setting.

4 hours ago, COOP said:

Axis is auto set, floating.

Surfgate was on Malibus in 2013, Axis 2014 as stated above.

Malibu auto wedge is different. It will start in lift, then move to the predetermined setting.

Axis Power Wedge 2 and onward also does the start in lift and move to setting at cruise control speed.

18 minutes ago, MustGoFast said:

Axis Power Wedge 2 and onward also does the start in lift and move to setting at cruise control speed.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that Axis has powerwedge now.

FWIW my 2012 A22 without surfgate had the same hull as the 2014 with surfgate and Knowing this it made it look a little ugly to me because it looked like a retro fit.  I'd be looking for the first redesign after adding surfgate. I know it was 2015 for the A22 but not sure about the other models. 

The wedge is nice but I tend to not use it much for surfing.  I mainly got it for resale value.  I've had both autoset and PW2.