Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Boat will create the wake I need without mods?

09VTXBLACK

Hey guys recently bought a 2009 VTX and realizing I will have to do a lot of mods for it to create the wake I need. I am 240 pounds and want a boat that I do not have to mod to achieve this wake. Which model and year in your opinion at the under 23 feet long will achieve this for me? Thanks for feedback.

I'm assuming you are surfing and on a budget.  So maybe a 2015 Axis A22?  I think they deepened the hull that year and the surfgate was a little more integrated.  

If you have more budget then that then there are plenty of options. 

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Cheaper to diet than buy a new boat 😂

Under 23 feet means 22 or 21.  22 is going to be a much newer and more expensive boat, what is your budget? 

Haha yes dieting would be cheaper but much harder lol!

My budget is $90,000 range

2 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

what are the mods you do not want to do?

I dont want to integrate additional bags/wake shaper and still not get the wake I desire. I just dont want to invest anymore money into the VTX if I am going to get a better surf boat in the end.

2 hours ago, vanamp said:

I'm assuming you are surfing and on a budget.  So maybe a 2015 Axis A22?  I think they deepened the hull that year and the surfgate was a little more integrated.  

If you have more budget then that then there are plenty of options. 

I was wondering when hull started deepening on the Wakesetters was that in 2015 or 2014?

10 minutes ago, 09VTXBLACK said:

I was wondering when hull started deepening on the Wakesetters was that in 2015 or 2014?

The 23 LSV had a new hull and higher freeboard in 2014 and the 22 VLX was similarly redesigned in 2015.

ahopkins22LSV

A few options:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2016-Malibu-Wakesetter-23LSV-for-sale-Springfield-Missouri-84879.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2016-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-for-sale-Memphis-Tennessee-82165.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2016-MALIBU-WAKESETTER-23LSV-for-sale-Portland-Oregon-85877.aspx

No idea where you are located but a 23 LSV is in your budget. I’d personally avoid 2014, it had a one off dash layout. 2015 was he new dash and power wedge 2. Much much better. You are probably still going to want to run extra bow weight but the wave will blow your vtx out of the water. 

On 8/26/2018 at 4:08 AM, Nitrousbird said:

You will still have to add locker bags to any Malibu.  Most want additional bow weight  

This.  As a former late-ish model VTX owner I fully appreciate that the boat is not going to ever surf the way you want.  But a few sacks and a pump are going to be necessary in any Malibu... Maybe except the M235, though I've never been on one.  Get a 2016+ 22 VLX or 23 LSV and some plug and plays, use the bags in the bow and walkway if you have a small crew. It's unfortunate, but the way it is.  

Only boat I've ever been on that is legit only sub floor ballast is a 2017 G23, but even then the wave is short in length.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you are gonna suffer from a lot of things working against you in a VTX . Its a great little boat, but your gonna have to go HAM to get the kind of wave the bigger guys need.

I owned an 07 and MAXED out that hull . It would make a decent surfable wave, but nothing close to what a larger boat can produce. I had a full DONG sack made from Wakemakers that spanned the whole port side under the seat.

Make sure you are riding a decent custom board made for YOUR weight. That's huge in this scheme.

Wrong brand for no extra pnp or on cushion bow, only m235 I  ever surfed had s 1000lb bow sac and two rear pnp.   For that much you can get a surfable wave in another brand used with stock ballast only, not saying you should change but your asking for what does not exist in the Malibu/Axis line up

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:40 PM, ajive said:

This.  As a former late-ish model VTX owner I fully appreciate that the boat is not going to ever surf the way you want.  But a few sacks and a pump are going to be necessary in any Malibu... Maybe except the M235, though I've never been on one.  Get a 2016+ 22 VLX or 23 LSV and some plug and plays, use the bags in the bow and walkway if you have a small crew. It's unfortunate, but the way it is.  

Only boat I've ever been on that is legit only sub floor ballast is a 2017 G23, but even then the wave is short in length.

we had a 1000 bow bag in the m235 to get a really good wave

try the axis t22 or t23  with the pnp  you should be good to go

Edited by JMVOTTO
1 hour ago, JMVOTTO said:

Not sure why you quoted me. I have plenty of mods on mine and it will produce a better wave than the new boats and all ballast is hidden... nothing on floor. I was just wondering which ones @09VTXBLACK did not want to do.

Sorry you were talking about which mods the OP did not want to do , so I just tagged along .

should have just posted without the quote 

my point was very little mods on the 23 lsv

On 9/5/2018 at 8:21 PM, granddaddy55 said:

Wrong brand for no extra pnp or on cushion bow, only m235 I  ever surfed had s 1000lb bow sac and two rear pnp.   For that much you can get a surfable wave in another brand used with stock ballast only, not saying you should change but your asking for what does not exist in the Malibu/Axis line up

I'm in the same situation as OP. What other branded boats could OP consider? 

Used 2013 to 2016 G 23 or G21 maybe newer at 90000, some will be a lot less , some less and some some more than that but all will surf fine out of box , but honesty sais its much better with a crowd so they all benefit from extra weight.  Nose rides low , but again put weight in the nose snd it does lengthen , their  secret is nose rides low with 2900 lbs of stock ballast with appropriate ramp adjustments , so  you get massive almost useless so big rear lockers for storage , now imagine monster pnp in there, but they make it harder to plumb snd people use over side pumps to empty and fill in stupid expensive when new boats!!  Just buy lead when you want to eventually make it better

but some on this site don’t like their wave as it is different than a gated wave, but much better fir transfers cause NSS faster than Gates in forming a wave and boat rides level nose low, many of us don’t do transfers cause we list slightly to heavily to fine tune wave.  With g you just move a few or many of people to the rail if you want to list (they all do better with one) but you don’t need to . Most Malibu’s list by partial empty of opposite rear sac , with G you use people to list or you don’t do it

Edited by granddaddy55

Is the OP even following this anymore?

I think before this thread goes any further we need to define "mods".  Is pnp a mod? Few bags of lead stuffed in bow a mod?

To me a mod is something that is not automatic. Suck gate, bags on the seats..etc.

Go surf assist, pnp in lockers, lead stuffed in the bow...not mods

• Like 2
On 9/6/2018 at 10:41 AM, JMVOTTO said:

Sorry you were talking about which mods the OP did not want to do , so I just tagged along .

should have just posted without the quote 

my point was very little mods on the 23 lsv

lol.. no problems.. was not upset.. just did not know how to respond ;) 

ahopkins22LSV
42 minutes ago, vanamp said:

Is the OP even following this anymore?

I think before this thread goes any further we need to define "mods".  Is pnp a mod? Few bags of lead stuffed in bow a mod?

To me a mod is something that is not automatic. Suck gate, bags on the seats..etc.

Go surf assist, pnp in lockers, lead stuffed in the bow...not mods

Agreed. Even the Ri series runs pnp bags

• Like 2

Still following the thread and thank you all for feedback. I am thinking about buying brand new now but tariffs have kicked in and hoping Trump and NAFTA gets sorted out ASAP so I avoid paying an additional $13,000ish (10%) on the boat on top of the 12% tax. I sold my boat two weeks ago though so I have cash in hand ready to upgrade. 2019 LSV 22 foot I think is option for new. I like how new 19s also have surf pipe in front of wedge for storage clearance. 

Edited by 09VTXBLACK