Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yet another " I hit something post"

Hello crew. Just want to say first, thank you for all of the info I have recieved from you guys and gals.This place is the best for anything dealing with a bu.

I am not new to the boating world or Malibu boats. I have messed up my share of things. Last thursday while pulling a surfer I struck something, a 3" X 25' log floating under the surface.It got caught between the prop and hull. I was doing about 11mph when it felt like I ran aground. Jumped out with a mask and checked the wedge, prop, rudder, all felt fine. Of course when I took off I had a vibration, so I thought I bent the prop slightly, but then when I went to turn at low speed the steering would lock and relase after a moment.

Limped back to the dock put it on the trailer. I then noticed 2 ears were folded back slightly. ruder seemed fine and no gercoat damage. The shaft and strut appeared straight.

My question is: Will the bending of the ears slightly, cause the steering to lock up like that?

Have any of you had this happen to you?

Steering cable was replaced this year.

Boat has 210 hours

Steering turns free out of the water( probably answered my question)

Thank you for your time..

Nitrobu,

Sorry to hear about your prop. Just a thought, but maybe the rudder is slightly bent enough to cause it to hang up when turning. Anyways, good luck. I feel your pain.

Hello crew. Just want to say first, thank you for all of the info I have recieved from you guys and gals.This place is the best for anything dealing with a bu.

I am not new to the boating world or Malibu boats. I have messed up my share of things. Last thursday while pulling a surfer I struck something, a 3" X 25' log floating under the surface.It got caught between the prop and hull. I was doing about 11mph when it felt like I ran aground. Jumped out with a mask and checked the wedge, prop, rudder, all felt fine. Of course when I took off I had a vibration, so I thought I bent the prop slightly, but then when I went to turn at low speed the steering would lock and relase after a moment.

Limped back to the dock put it on the trailer. I then noticed 2 ears were folded back slightly. ruder seemed fine and no gercoat damage. The shaft and strut appeared straight.

My question is: Will the bending of the ears slightly, cause the steering to lock up like that?

Have any of you had this happen to you?

Steering cable was replaced this year.

Boat has 210 hours

Steering turns free out of the water( probably answered my question)

Thank you for your time..

Sorry to hear about your prop. Just a thought, but maybe the rudder is slightly bent enough to cause it to hang up when turning. Anyways, good luck. I feel your pain.
Yeah, wouldn't take much of a bend in the rudder shaft to make it bind slightly.

Bummer. Good luck.

But if it was bent it would have the same binding problem outside of the water wouldn't it?

If it turns fine out of the water then it is probably ok. Some part of the log may have been jamming it while in the water.