Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

lookin to buy a slalom ski

king_kong

well i'm lookin to get my dad a new ski this x-mas. my dad probly hasn't skied in about 10 years now. ever sense we got the bu he really hasn't been able to enjoy it all that much, so i want to get him a ski so he can get back out on the water and we can bond some. ok so my dads about 5'11'' and some where around 240-250 and i really have no idea what size or type of ski to get him and thats where i need your guys advice. oviously i want to get him a top of the line ski, so i was thinkin maybe a HO or maybe one of those new Radar skis, but i really don't know all that much so can i get advice guys??

Others know far far more about this than me but my opinion is if he hasn't skied in 10 years I'm guessing he isn't addicted and also skills aren't up to shortline levels. Hence 'top of line' probably isn't for him. Go for one of the wide shaped skis.

KK - I'd suggest the Charger, maybe even the Magnum from HO. Best thing for him to do is get a ride on both of them and choose which works best. Both of them are going to be ideal skis for his use.

I skied the HO Charger when I got back into skiing again last year at 240lbs and it worked great for me. If he is going to ski at 32 or 34 mph then the Charger would probably be fine. If he is going to ski slower the Magnum would probably be better.

The nice thing about those skis is they perform enough to take them in the course if you want to.

You could also consider the Triumph series in 69 or 71". Based on past literature, they are the Monza/S8 based equivalent of the CDX based comp-freeride series

I just bought a 71" Triumph. Laying it and my Magnum side by side, the Triumph appears to be identical to the Magnum but without the centre rib. I'm not a good enough skier to properly evaluate my new stick other than to say I absolutely love skiing it. It sure doesn't like to ride flat though - with the Magnum, when I got tired, I would just go for a ride outside the wake but the Triumph doesn't like riding that way. Now when I wuss out I have to ride in the curl.

Malibudude has a top of the line pair of double skis for sale. He just bought his first single ski and I bet he'd sell you the pair of doubles for a steal.

I sold those things to a wakeboarder... ROFL.gif

Don't you mean that you traded them for wakeboard?

Another decision for you is which bindings..... what size..... and whether you get him double high wraps or a rear toe piece.

Looks like all the advice so far is HO (Good choice by the way.)

Re Bindings: I suggest the HO "Animal Super Feet". Great feel and support.

Re size. Sure sounds like XL to me.

Re double boot, or front boot and rear toe piece. This depends on what he's used to. If he's never used double boot, I strongly suggest you just get him the front boot, and a rear toe piece. HE can move up to a double boot later (and spend the money) if he wants to.

Lastly, another option for a ski is the HO CDX. HO doesn't build it anymore, but it was such a popular ski in its day that Wiley's (in Seattle) had HO make about 500 of the CDX's for them just last year. Great ski at a great price. (Yes, I got one). Oh, by the way, do NOT get him an HO "Truth" at any cost. Way to unforgiving for someone who hasn't skiid for a while. http://www.wileyski.com/so-cheap/h-o.htm

Regardless, Wiley's is a great place to get advice AND to buy HO skiis. Good luck.

Edited by doughickey

KK - I'd suggest the Charger, maybe even the Magnum from HO. Best thing for him to do is get a ride on both of them and choose which works best. Both of them are going to be ideal skis for his use.

Ditto.

Same here. The Charger is an excellent ski IMO.

I would recommend a softer binding for a recreational skier like an HO Venom. The Animal may be a little stiff.

I think the aminals are a perfect compromise between amply support and stiffness. I never felt the venoms offered enough control as I always felt me feet would come out.

I would recommend a softer binding for a recreational skier like an HO Venom. The Animal may be a little stiff.

I think the aminals are a perfect compromise between amply support and stiffness. I never felt the venoms offered enough control as I always felt me feet would come out.

That is funny I feel I get plenty of support from the Venoms. I run into 32 off at 34 mph and don't feel like my feet are going to come out unless they should and the ski does what I want it to.

I grew up skiing on bindings with a lot less support than the Venoms so that could be part of it.