Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Aftermarket Wake Shaper

Utahman

There are sooo many options out there. The Wicked Wakesurf does work great, but so does the Nauticurl. I bought the Nauticurl because my wife hated to drive the boat with the Wicked gate. The Nauticurl doesn’t impact the steering as much.  I have also heard good things about the Swell, and tons more about the homemade ones. You can make one for $30. 

+1 on the Nauticurl.  Stout, compact design and almost neutral steering.  Almost half the surface area of my homemade surfgate and a better wave...go figure.

Edited by formulaben
On 8/25/2018 at 4:33 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

That is pretty great!  Why the pressure relief holes though??

That is how the Mission Delta is, so I did the same.  I assume it reduces the pressure a little on the device, while still accomplishing the delayed convergence.  

I like my wicked wakes.  It is not rocket science for sure, I bought them a couple of years ago off of a crew member for like $150.  Easy to make yourself.  They are kinda big though.

57dc4f02ed4d5_2016WickedWakegatescompressed2.thumb.jpg.323b44c40dc7e783d4ee0a71bdbdc984.jpg

3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What type of plastic did you use?  Starboard?

HDPE.  

I made my own Wicked Wave copy when they first came out, but the boat pulled so hard to the non-surf side that it made it tough for my wife and others to drive.  My suckgate pulls a LOT less and puts out a better wave than the Wicked wave version (and was easier to make)

Edited by Brodie

You can find a how to on YouTube. You could also check Craigslist. It seems like there is one or 2 for sale around where I live all summer.

Edited by Dodger40

I just picked up a nauticurl, so far it has been great, floats, easy on off, and not to terrible to drive with it stuck on there.

I couldn't stomach the cost of many of the others, even after trying a couple of others. It isn't cheap, and seems well made so far.

Wave behind our VTX

20180818_154246.jpg

On 8/24/2018 at 1:48 PM, Brodie said:

Here is what I use.  Works awesome!!  I made a bunch of them for friends.

Suckgate 2.jpg

Do you have a template you used?

Would be interested to know the dimensions, where everything was bolted etc

Nauticurl owner here...sorry to hijack but has anyone played around with the location of their Nauticurl (or whatever wake shaper) front and back on the non-surf side?  WakeMAKERS did some custom fit bags for us which upped our rear sacks from 750's to 970's and the wave is pretty tall and steep.  We use a 675 pound Tsunami bow sack which definitely helps lengthen the wave but without some big dudes in the boat positioned in the right spots the wave needs some additional help.  We typically mount our wake shaper at the very back of the hull, just ahead of the rounded corner and below the transition.  Hopefully someone has done some experimentation...we have a 2007 23 LSV

All these very pricey options.  I use this:

https://shapethewake.com/products/slim-style-wakemate

Works as well / better than the Ronix 8.3 clone I was running.

- Suction cups work and hold well.  I even hit about 25 MPH by accident and it didn't pop off (soaked everyone in the boat though!).
- Easy to install/remove
- Small enough and sits enough in the water that those passing by may not even know you are running a suck gate
- $85 shipped.  Yeah, that.  Others may look fancier...but at $250+ that damn well better.  
- Easy to store
- Functions...that's important
- Did I mention it is $85 shipped.  People are mentioning $400 wake shapers on here.  You'd be nuts to consider a $400 suck gate before at least TRYING a $85 one.  If you don't like it, resell it and only lose a few bucks.  
-  I'm sure you could recreate this with a 3D printer or something similar.  That is, if your time is basically worthless (as just creating the file for the print would be quite time consuming) AND if you had the equipment to print the plastic.  And even then, you'd only be saving a few bucks at best...and your product probably wouldn't turn out as well...

I am very happy with my purchase...and I'd like to point out again that I already owned a wake shaper.

Edited by Nitrousbird
1 hour ago, JWBeav said:

Nauticurl owner here...sorry to hijack but has anyone played around with the location of their Nauticurl (or whatever wake shaper) front and back on the non-surf side?  WakeMAKERS did some custom fit bags for us which upped our rear sacks from 750's to 970's and the wave is pretty tall and steep.  We use a 675 pound Tsunami bow sack which definitely helps lengthen the wave but without some big dudes in the boat positioned in the right spots the wave needs some additional help.  We typically mount our wake shaper at the very back of the hull, just ahead of the rounded corner and below the transition.  Hopefully someone has done some experimentation...we have a 2007 23 LSV

Rotate the gate so that it is tilted slightly towards the bow, that way when you are up to surf speed it is as vertical as possible instead of slanted back slightly, as it would if you mounted it parallel with the rub rail.  Play with the fore/aft and up/down to see what works for you, but for sure the best is when the gate is as close to vertical as possible when at the surf speed, accounting for the bow rise.

• Like 1

On my 2007 vlx I have tried as far back as possible and I have tried under the gas cap. The best was just slightly behind the gas cap for the regular side. We usually run full MLS including bow and mid tank plus two 650 sumos in the lockers and a 750 in the walkway. I won’t always fill the 750 full, unless I have a full crew in the back. A few times I have put kids in the bow because I needed more weight up front. I like 11.4 mph. We don’t use the wedge. Tilting the gate forward is important like Ben said.

Edited by Dodger40
17 hours ago, asp13 said:

Do you have a template you used?

Would be interested to know the dimensions, where everything was bolted etc

No template really, except for a cardboard cutout of the face piece.  The side pieces were contoured to follow the suction handle.  I just trace the originals each time I make them.

Edited by Brodie