Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Titan Spinner Boardrack

Cbrown

Thanks a bunch. I've been waiting to see a video just like that. I'm wondering if it's swinging in far enough to avoid canopy poles though. We have about 3-4 inches of clearance on each side with our current racks (crappy metcraft swivels), and I would LOVE to be able to get the boat into the hoist without taking the boards down.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that Malibu is going to be offering the Titan Spinner and that Carbon Fiber Revolution rack. I guess they learned their lesson with the absolute crap that Metcraft put out.

Anyone have a clue as to how much the Titan Spinner's are going to be?

• 3 months later...

I got a first hand look at these at the boat show this past weekend. I probably would not go with these after having a chance to try them out 'so to speak'. There is a little play in the rack when it is "locked" into place that would shake all over when the boat is under way. Both sides were similar in the amount of play so until shown otherwise I would assume that it's going to happen on all of the Titan spinner racks.

Instead, I would go with the lift offs as I have those on my vRide and they are rock solid.

I got a first hand look at these at the boat show this past weekend. I probably would not go with these after having a chance to try them out 'so to speak'. There is a little play in the rack when it is "locked" into place that would shake all over when the boat is under way. Both sides were similar in the amount of play so until shown otherwise I would assume that it's going to happen on all of the Titan spinner racks.

Instead, I would go with the lift offs as I have those on my vRide and they are rock solid.

That's disappointing to say the least. I had high hopes for those making my life easier on the lift.

I have the other opinion after showing them to everyone at the NY show for 9 days. I have them on our VTX and they are great.

Tight and smooth, and with the push-button lock they are exceptionally convenient to use. On our set there is a very slight movement with it locked in place, but with the tightness of the swivel itself it will never vibrate, rattle or jiggle as some do. The teflon or whatever material used in the swivel seems to be perfect.

With the DL-X racks the Gen-II Spinners are shop sold at $579, and with Low-Rider racks they are $499 each.

I may not always see the value of a power-wedge over a manual wedge for my use, but the Gen-II spinners are a no-brainer for me.

Peter

Smooth Water Sports

That's disappointing to say the least. I had high hopes for those making my life easier on the lift.

I was also very disappointed. As you can see from the other post, there are varied opinions. Definitely take a look at them installed before you shell out $580 of your hard earned cash.

The racks I've seen were quite solid (the same amount of play as in the original Spinner). I'm not sure what the difference might be, but I'll shoot a video if anyone is interested.

Surfboard and Titan's new for '07 kneeboard racks are both available with the Gen II Spinner, but the Hydrofoil rack is not.

Haha, wow! I must have been thinking about skiing or something, I have no idea where that previous post came from (the second part at least).

Pete is right on (as usual), no Spinner for the Surf or Hydrofoil racks. I know why on the hydrofoil, and I'm assuming since they are the same rack like you said, they won't sell you a surf rack with a Spinner because it could be used to hold a hydrofoil.

I have the other opinion after showing them to everyone at the NY show for 9 days. I have them on our VTX and they are great.

Tight and smooth, and with the push-button lock they are exceptionally convenient to use. On our set there is a very slight movement with it locked in place, but with the tightness of the swivel itself it will never vibrate, rattle or jiggle as some do. The teflon or whatever material used in the swivel seems to be perfect.

With the DL-X racks the Gen-II Spinners are shop sold at $579, and with Low-Rider racks they are $499 each.

I may not always see the value of a power-wedge over a manual wedge for my use, but the Gen-II spinners are a no-brainer for me.

Peter

Smooth Water Sports

So, it's roughly $1100/pair MSRP?

Do they swing all the way into the boat with boards attached so that you can clear the sides of a lift without removing the boards? My local dealer says they are available, but they haven't seen them yet.

Retail is $649, therefore about $1298/pair.

They do swing completely into the boat with boards on, although it strikes me that it's not 180 degrees. I'll have to go look at my VTX to verify that.

Also, for those that worried about the slight play in the locked position can rest easy. I just heard today that the tolerances on the pin were tightened up about .002" after the first production run were sent out to make all the early boat shows.

With luck tomorrow I'll get the VTX unwrapped again and shoot some photos unless Jason or someone else has one opened up and can shoot some.

Peter. :)

Hey everybody,

I thought I'd jump in here and provide a little clarification on our new rack. There were in fact a handful of the very first batch of Gen II Spinners that left Titan with a couple of the components slightly out of print, which caused them to have excessive play when in the locked position. They should have never left our factory, but in the rush to get a new product out to boat shows, about a half dozen of the first 100 racks left this way. It has since been corrected, go/no-go gauges have been added to our testing of each critical dimension on every component, and the Spinners that have shipped since are solid.

Regarding how far they swing into the boat, they are engineered to swing 145° to the first click, because that's the point that boards get close to speakers. At that point, if the tower doesn't have speakers or you remove the boards if it does, you can press the release button again and rotate the rack to just short of 180°. Even at 145°, the rack doesn't protrude past the rub rail, so you'll hopefully be in good shape on a covered lift or side tied to a houseboat or covered dock. If that doesn't do it, you can remove the boards and swing them in the rest of the way.

As far as hydrofoils, surfboards, etc, we will soon be testing a hydrofoil version of the rack, and assuming we can overcome any clearance issues, a hydrofoil version MAY be available this spring. However, we will begin shipping Spinner surf racks in February and Spinner waterski racks shortly thereafter. Additionally, there are also Fixed and Lift Off (quick release) versions of our new DLX racks (except no Lift Off on hydrofoil racks).

As the originator of the spinning board rack, we're pretty exicted about this new offering. It has a ton of cool features, but I won't drag this post on any longer - check them out at your local Malibu dealer.

Scott Sax

Titan Wake Accessories LLC

Regarding how far they swing into the boat, they are engineered to swing 145° to the first click, because that's the point that boards get close to speakers. At that point, if the tower doesn't have speakers or you remove the boards if it does, you can press the release button again and rotate the rack to just short of 180°. Even at 145°, the rack doesn't protrude past the rub rail, so you'll hopefully be in good shape on a covered lift or side tied to a houseboat or covered dock. If that doesn't do it, you can remove the boards and swing them in the rest of the way.

Wow, that's some pretty crazy attention to detail. Nice to see a well thought out accessory, not that we should expect anything different from Titan :)

Edited by skicrave
Hey everybody,

I thought I'd jump in here and provide a little clarification on our new rack. There were in fact a handful of the very first batch of Gen II Spinners that left Titan with a couple of the components slightly out of print, which caused them to have excessive play when in the locked position. They should have never left our factory, but in the rush to get a new product out to boat shows, about a half dozen of the first 100 racks left this way. It has since been corrected, go/no-go gauges have been added to our testing of each critical dimension on every component, and the Spinners that have shipped since are solid.

As far as hydrofoils, surfboards, etc, we will soon be testing a hydrofoil version of the rack, and assuming we can overcome any clearance issues, a hydrofoil version MAY be available this spring. However, we will begin shipping Spinner surf racks in February and Spinner waterski racks shortly thereafter. Additionally, there are also Fixed and Lift Off (quick release) versions of our new DLX racks (except no Lift Off on hydrofoil racks).

As the originator of the spinning board rack, we're pretty exicted about this new offering. It has a ton of cool features, but I won't drag this post on any longer - check them out at your local Malibu dealer.

Scott Sax

Titan Wake Accessories LLC

Scott,

Thank you & let me be the first to welcome you to the site. Please please please keep us updated on the hydrofoil option. Those of us with an Illusion X have been looking for an alternative to the Comptech for some time now.

Peter

Smooth Water Sports

Do they swing all the way into the boat with boards attached so that you can clear the sides of a lift without removing the boards? My local dealer says they are available, but they haven't seen them yet.

jshap the above video shows how far the rack will swivel with boards in them.

Peter

Smooth Water Sports

jshap the above video shows how far the rack will swivel with boards in them.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the edge of the board was making it inside the boat from the video. I'm pretty excited about these racks. Thanks for posting Scott!

With luck tomorrow I'll get the VTX unwrapped again and shoot some photos unless Jason or someone else has one opened up and can shoot some.

Peter. :)

We've got a boat at the show with Spinners. I can easily take pics and video if you don't want to deal with unwrapping a boat, just let me know.

Jason, Please do post pics/video. I was really impressed with it at the Cincy boat show a few weeks ago. I tested it gently when 'closed' and it seemed pretty solid, but I didn't shake it like going over decent chop rollers would...