Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Dorsey Trailer wrecked

KayDee

We have a 2008 vlx, driving home from the lake and uninsured meth head hit the boat & trailer. Trailer will probably be totaled out, but ordering a new one sounds like it will take at least 5 weeks from boat mate.  Are there any other companies that we could look at to get a faster turnaround time? Thanks 

Edited by KayDee
7 minutes ago, KayDee said:

We have a 2008 vlx, driving home from the lake and uninsured meth head hit the boat & trailer. Trailer will probably be totaled out, but ordering a new one sounds like it will take at least 5 weeks from boat mate. I found a 2015 boatmate, made for a vlx, would it be compatible? Or are there any other companies that we could look at to get a faster turnaround time? Thanks 

Only way you are going to get a faster turnaround time is if you order a generic adjustable bunk inboard/v drive trailer from someone like shorelander.  If the trailer is totaled out, how is the boat?  Hard to believe that boat repairs will take less than 5 weeks.

Might also try Phoenix trailers.  Local Mastercraft dealer used to stock a few of them, so maybe they are somewhat generic/adjustable.

Edited by oldjeep
24 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Might also try Phoenix trailers.  Local Mastercraft dealer used to stock a few of them, so maybe they are somewhat generic/adjustable.

That's interesting, because they are usually custom or at least  they have templates for different boats.

29 minutes ago, footndale said:

That's interesting, because they are usually custom or at least  they have templates for different boats.

Yeah, I don't really know - but the local MC dealer used to carry a couple of them so maybe they were somewhat adjustable in terms of the winch post position

Looking at their site, there isn't a winch post on any of them.

https://phoenixtrail.com/our-trailers/premier-painted-trailers/

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Only way you are going to get a faster turnaround time is if you order a generic adjustable bunk inboard/v drive trailer from someone like shorelander.  If the trailer is totaled out, how is the boat?  Hard to believe that boat repairs will take less than 5 weeks.

As far as we can tell the boat is ok, it was a small car and he hit the fender & tires on the trailer, the front right axle is just barely hanging on, springs came off, lights came off that side. Adjuster believes it will be totaled out just waiting on that decision.  The impact knocked the boat over about an inch on the trailer, but there’s no physical damage. Want to get it out on the water so we can find out if it damaged anything mechanically, etc.  

Problem is we were on our way back from Arkansas, he hit us in Missouri, we live in Kansas...so now the boat is in a small town in Missouri at a shop. Insurance will not pay to have it towed home. Just a nightmare. So it will be up to us to figure out a way to get it home or the insurance is just going to send it to the closest shop and it will sit until the trailer is ordered. Which is definetly not ok. I might have found a trailer but it’s a different year, a 2015. The service guys say it will fit, so now I’m trying to research that. 

Edited by KayDee
17 minutes ago, KayDee said:

As far as we can tell the boat is ok, it was a small car and he hit the fender & tires on the trailer, the front right axle is just barely hanging on, springs came off, lights came off that side. Adjuster believes it will be totaled out just waiting on that decision.  The impact knocked the boat over about an inch on the trailer, but there’s no physical damage. Want to get it out on the water so we can find out if it damaged anything mechanically, etc.  

Problem is we were on our way back from Arkansas, he hit us in Missouri, we live in Kansas...so now the boat is in a small town in Missouri at a shop. Insurance will not pay to have it towed home. Just a nightmare. So it will be up to us to figure out a way to get it home or the insurance is just going to send it to the closest shop and it will sit until the trailer is ordered. Which is definetly not ok. I might have found a trailer but it’s a different year, a 2015. The service guys say it will fit, so now I’m trying to research that. 

Where is Missouri?

14 hours ago, KayDee said:

If you mean where “in” Missouri, lol, between Joplin & Cassville. 

Nice catch!  Since I live in Missouri, lol.

The Ski Shack has locations in Springfield and Shell Knob.  They might be able to track down a trailer for you.  

(417) 882-8480

Edited by blk93jeepzj
Phone number
4 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Nice catch!  Since I live in Missouri, lol.

The Ski Shack has locations in Springfield and Shell Knob.  They might be able to track down a trailer for you.  

(417) 882-8480

That is who our adjuster is calling to get quotes actually. They don't have anything in stock. Now its just a waiting game on the adjuster bc I don't think he's going to like the numbers for a new trailer.

1 hour ago, KayDee said:

That is who our adjuster is calling to get quotes actually. They don't have anything in stock. Now its just a waiting game on the adjuster bc I don't think he's going to like the numbers for a new trailer.

Might want to get a quote on 4-5 weeks of storage fees too, and maybe they will decide to toss your trailer/boat on a flatbed and send it home.

• Like 1

You may call Ski Shack yourself.  Being that their main territory is Table Rock, assuming they have a ton of customers with VLXs that have trailers just rotting under a tree around the lake that you might be able to 'rent' to take your boat home at least.  May also want to reach out to Arrowhead in Rogers, AR.  They are the Malibu dealer there and aren't a crazy far drive from Joplin.